The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Issue with RX1rII is with Light Leak

dandrewk

Apparently the issue with the new RX regards a light leak affecting some cameras that happens in direct, harsh light with the EVF engaged. Affected serial numbers are follows (translated from French):

If the serial number of the DSC- RX1RM2 apparatus is comprised in the range indicated below, it can be concerned:

Product serial numbers from 7360021 to 7360551

Product serial numbers from 7760004 to 7760052

Product serial numbers from 8160021 to 8160357

---

Luckily, my camera's SN starts with 631

V

Vivek

Where did you get the information?

I will wait for official sony release.

My sample is within the first series! #736...

I have never noticed any light leak and checked again under a light with the evf up!

V

Vivek

It seems that a post in a dpreview forum is the source for this and it is repeated here and at fredmiranda.

What makes it quite intriguing (if it is official) is the complete absence of reports anywhere of a light leak!

There have only been couple of DOA (dpreview) reports!

scho

Apparently the issue with the new RX regards a light leak affecting some cameras that happens in direct, harsh light with the EVF engaged. Affected serial numbers are follows (translated from French):

If the serial number of the DSC- RX1RM2 apparatus is comprised in the range indicated below, it can be concerned:

---

+1

V

Vivek

---

Bad news. See: http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/news-item.pl?mdl=DSCRX1RM2&news_id=499

#6310198 to 6311127

Yes – the Sony announcement says "Some products with serial number from 6310198 to 6311127."

This doesn't jibe with the numbers listed above. No doubt a problem in translating French numbers into English? :shocked:

Kirk

dandrewk

Yes – the Sony announcement says "Some products with serial number from 6310198 to 6311127."

This doesn't jibe with the numbers listed above. No doubt a problem in translating French numbers into English? :shocked:

Kirk
Hardly. The first recall notice came from Sony France. Most likely those numbers apply to cameras sold in France and/or Europe.

V

Vivek

There is no word from sony.nl (not shocking).

I have asked them if they are aware of any issues and the notices put out by Sony (elsewhere). Awaiting response.

Not pleased.

V

Vivek

I have pictures of leaked light via the popped EVF. Will post them in a while separately.

scho

That includes my camera. I'm still in the eligible return period so if I see any evidence of a light leak it is going back to Amazon.

Edit: Just checked for light leaks and no problem detected. Checked again using a stronger led light and definitely see a leak in lower right corner. Called the Sony hotline for this issue and they sent me a Fedex return shipping label. They will ship me a new camera as soon as they receive mine.

Last edited:

dandrewk

The process is very simple. Call the number of your country's Sony support (in USA it is 1-239-245-6360). They will ask for you camera model and serial number. They will see it's part of the recall notice, ask pertinent info (your name, address etc. and date of purchase).

They will send you an email with a FedEx shipping label. It took a couple of minutes to receive mine. This may vary depending on country.

I confirmed they will be replacing, not repairing the camera. They are requesting the camera, supplied accessories and box. Turnaround is 7-10 business days.

vjbelle

What an incredible disappointment for all of those affected. I suggest that anyone sending a camera back to Sony to document your camera before putting it in the box. Top, bottom, front, back.... just in case someone on the other end drops it on the floor and refuses to replace it.

Victor

V

Vivek

I suggest that anyone sending a camera back to Sony to document your camera before putting it in the box.
Victor
Who keeps a box? Store receipt, proof of purchase, that is understandable.

dandrewk

Who keeps a box? Store receipt, proof of purchase, that is understandable.
The serial number is on the outside of the box. Since this is a replacement, not a repair, it's understandable why they would want the box and accessories. That way, they can just send back a new retail box.

Personally, I always keep boxes for ANYTHING that might be resold down the line. It always makes for a higher resale price if you can include the box. If you don't still have it, I bet you can still get your camera replaced, as the original box is not a requirement for warranty service.

V

Vivek

Sound advice, David. But after a mini massive clean up, a lot of camera, lens etc boxes went to the dump. I normally do not keep the boxes, pouches, etc of the gear I use and unlikely to sell. The RX1R II was one of them. What a let down.

dandrewk

Sound advice, David. But after a mini massive clean up, a lot of camera, lens etc boxes went to the dump. I normally do not keep the boxes, pouches, etc of the gear I use and unlikely to sell. The RX1R II was one of them. What a let down.
I wouldn't worry about it. If you can't secure a refund, I'd be dismayed if the box was actually required for the replacement service. You may end up with a free battery, etc. for the trouble.

Good luck and let us know.

vjbelle

You shouldn't need the box or any other stuff..... but you should document the condition for obvious physical damage - they will!!

Victor

dandrewk

All in all though, I'm happy with the way Sony is handling this. They discovered the issue on their own and initiated a replacement process. Sure, it's a hassle, but compare this to what Nikon did (or tried to do) with the oily shutter on the D600.

As I said, the actual process is pretty easy. Now for the next, critical part - how long before a replacement is actually in hand. I'm shipping mine out today, it will take a week to get to Massachusetts.

Minor complaint - the shipping label supplied is for ground service. It would have been better if they opted for a quicker service. Thankfully, the weather here has been bloody awful. Perfect timing for downtime.

In the meantime, I'll have to make do with my A7rII. Oh the suffering! ;) :D

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
My guess send nothing but camera only. Hold on to everything else

Good luck everyone I am wishing you all well. Maybe when the dust settles I may get one .

V

Vivek

I wouldn't worry about it. If you can't secure a refund, I'd be dismayed if the box was actually required for the replacement service. You may end up with a free battery, etc. for the trouble.

Good luck and let us know.
I am likely to lose the Sony LCD protector i have on and not gain anything extra. I bought 6 extra batteries that I will have to get rid off when the camera is gone.