The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony RX1R mk II Light Leak Pictures

Jim DE

Dear Mr. Iyer,

Thank you for your emails to Sony Support.

We try to respond to every email within 24 hours. Therefore we answer the oldest emails in our inbox the earliest. Whenever a customer sents a new email, his/her case will automatically get out of the queue and will be seen as a new email. Therefore if you'd like a fast answer, it's better not to sent reminders because your case will be viewed later.

This being said, there is no mention of any affected models in our system in reference to the DSC-RX1R.

What is the precise problem you have with your camera? We would like to try and solve this.

Could it be that they do not know you are talking about the NEWER DSC-RX1RII?????? See what can happen with written communications between two parties in different locations...... Add to that a possible language difference and this mis understandings can me multiplied.

V

Vivek

With all that well-said, now may we let Vivek make up his own mind – and let the thread go to sleep?

Sweet dreams,

Kirk
Cheers, Kirk! :)

From earlier today. ;)

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr

A7s, Jupiter-12 35/2.8, The Hague

[For those who do not know- Jupiter-12 is a Russian copy of a Zeiss Biogon (35/2.8). ]

V

Vivek

This being said, there is no mention of any affected models in our system in reference to the DSC-RX1R.

What is the precise problem you have with your camera? We would like to try and solve this.
[/I]

Could it be that they do not know you are talking about the NEWER DSC-RX1RII??????
What has language got to do with it? My kid can count in >5 European languages. The numbers add up exactly the same way. :rolleyes:

Apparently the news has not reached about a new model yet. Even though it is registered with them!

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Big company wrong person that has no clue. I called Sony last month did not even know they had a Pro division. Believe me I worked for a Fortune 200 company and no one even knew the full product line and I was under the communications dept. so go figure that one. Lol
Not unusual

Jim DE

I was back referencing to my earlier post when design teams are a half a world away from some component parts manufacturers who build parts for a product assembled in yet another location..... not your specific email and reply alone.

Language differences may not make a difference over in Europe but I assure you they do over here. I can't tell you the number of times language and non-face to face communications has caused confusion or even build issues in manufacturing when outsourced suppliers are spread out all over the world speaking numerous languages.

I have never been to Europe and doubt if I ever will....... so I have to assume citizens over there are more accustom to learning and speaking more than one language. Here most take the required 2 years of a foreign language in high school and forget most of it before they graduate. We just don't have to use various languages here so learning them enough to be fluent in them is only done by those wanting to learn them for other reasons.

Jim DE

Guy, their customer service over there may be outsourced to a 3rd party like it has been here ........ I don't rely on info gained from these 3rd party customer service reps. They only know what their managers let them know. If I want accurate info I call the head of the USA Sony Pro Service Division and she has always had accurate info I could depend on.

I worked in management in a fortune 500 major manufacturing industry and our people were usually always kept in the loop if they took the time to read the notices :(

harmsr

Workshop Member
Vivek,

Thanks for posting this. Mine is affected also, although to be honest I never it saw the issue in real pictures.

I'm trying to get it turned around for the replacement camera quickly. Just got off the phone with Sony.

I'm planning on taking the both the RX1r ii and the Q to China soon.

Best,

Ray

V

Vivek

Good luck, Ray! Hope you will share some pics after your China visit! :)

V

Vivek

Hi Michiel, They did know and that in my books is cheating. It is one thing (if and when sony.nl acknowledges that such a model actually exists! It may be official in Japan or the US but not here, afaik!) about refund (I would like) or replacement but another to take this camera seriously.

They killed all the enthusiasm and that damage can not be compensated by Euros or Dollars.

Knorp

Hi Michiel, They did know and that in my books is cheating. It is one thing (if and when sony.nl acknowledges that such a model actually exists! It may be official in Japan or the US but not here, afaik!) about refund (I would like) or replacement but another to take this camera seriously.

They killed all the enthusiasm and that damage can not be compensated by Euros or Dollars.
It's on the SONY.NL website now: DSC-RX1RM2 free inspection

Really odd that the indicated serial numbers are different.
And no word about replacement, only inspection&repair.
What a mess ...

Getroffen modellen en serienummers
Digitale fotocamera DSC-RX1RM2.

Als uw DSC-RX1RM2 een serienummer heeft dat in het onderstaande bereik ligt, kan uw apparaat getroffen zijn.

Productserienummer vanaf 7360021 tot 7360551
Productserienummer vanaf 7760004 tot 7760052
Productserienummer vanaf 8160021 tot 8160357
Als het serienummer van uw DSC-RX1RM2 niet in het bovenstaande bereik ligt, wordt uw model niet getroffen.

V

Vivek

Bart, Thank you!

Clearly, the sony.nl "support" was lying to me when I contacted them about this issue. :thumbdown:

Bart, The numbers from sony.nl site are the European numbers. Mine is within that first series 736...

Last edited:
V

Vivek

sony.nl sent this email ~20mins ago!

Thank you for your response.

We have not been informed about this retour action yet. In the past days I have received a message from other consumers as well so we are now in contact with other departments to figure out the process.

I will contact you after the weekend when I have more information about this.
:ROTFL:

Fuji, I am interested in cameras for photography. :)

seb

sony.nl sent this email ~20mins ago!

:ROTFL:

Fuji, I am interested in cameras for photography. :)
Sounds like the customer service is more into the other products from sony. :) But it looks like, you will get help at the end.
If you only get a replacement instead of your prefered refund, you can sell it as a new RX1RII (still boxed). So you can be happy about this light leak issue, because it increased the value of your camera. ;)

V

Vivek

Sounds like the customer service is more into the other products from sony. :) But it looks like, you will get help at the end.
If you only get a replacement instead of your prefered refund, you can sell it as a new RX1RII (still boxed). So you can be happy about this light leak issue, because it increased the value of your camera. ;)
Another genius from Switzerland? :facesmack:

Knorp

Bart, Thank you!

Clearly, the sony.nl "support" was lying to me when I contacted them about this issue. :thumbdown:

Bart, The numbers from sony.nl site are the European numbers. Mine is within that first series 736...
Aha ! Different serial ranges, that explains it.

I don't think SONY.NL is deliberately lying to you, I'd say they are only poorly informed by the mothership.

Kind regards.

V

Vivek

Aha ! Different serial ranges, that explains it.

I don't think SONY.NL is deliberately lying to you, I'd say they are only poorly informed by the mothership.

Kind regards.
Bart (and Michiel), sony.nl is no more. It appears that there is one person in Belgium that deals with cameras (and who knows what else!) for the EU.

Good to keep this in mind while thinking about any sony produce in the future.

One is likely to get a timely response and help from a HK dealer than the non existent sony.nl

V

Vivek

No, it's more an optimistic way to see things. Nothing to do with the country. :thumbs:
I am not sure about that, sir. Something appears to be invisible /lost as typed in English. It is not about the money. Even if that is the case, i paid €3,499 for my unit which will only go down. I do not stand to gain from this experience, even monetarily.

(otoh, may be I do stand to gain from it by not buying anything sony!)

seb

I am not sure about that, sir. Something appears to be invisible /lost as typed in English.
Maybe it's my bad English. But, that's something we can handle, I hope. But my English is good enough, that I know that "Another genius from Switzerland? :facesmack:" should not come up in a decent conversation.

(otoh, may be I do stand to gain from it by not buying anything sony!)
It looks like the only solution.