The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Quick access to RX1RII focus points?

I have the left button on the wheel as my focus point access but thus far you still have to hit it once, then hit ok to get to move the focus point around. Is there a function where I can just hit something ONCE to get right into moving the point?

PCinAZ

I have the left button on the wheel as my focus point access but thus far you still have to hit it once, then hit ok to get to move the focus point around. Is there a function where I can just hit something ONCE to get right into moving the point?
This is for the A7 series but should work for you. Set the center button to Camera Standard. You can be on any focus mode. You then can move to any af point.

baudolino

I set the camera in Flexible Spot or Expand Flexible Spot. Pressing the centre button (silver) once allows me to change the focusing point using the command wheel.

baudolino

Ah, perfect! That works much better. Man this camera really screams out for a touch screen though. What a strange omission.
I actually prefer it as is - with touch screens on small cameras and my big greasy fingers, I always end up touching something I didn't mean to touch :) Similar with the "macro mode" - half the times I change aperture without looking, I end up shifting the focusing range. Sometimes less is more.

dandrewk

It's not an omission, it's a choice. Add touch to that LCD screen and you almost certainly would lose the ability to flip out the screen.

V

Vivek

It's not an omission, it's a choice. Add touch to that LCD screen and you almost certainly would lose the ability to flip out the screen.
It is an omission. One less thing to warrant a recall.

The NEX-5N featured a flip screen + touch functions.

dandrewk

It is an omission. One less thing to warrant a recall.

The NEX-5N featured a flip screen + touch functions.
It's not an omission, unless you want to compare the resolution of the the LCD screen/sensor between the Nex 5 and RX1rII and A7rII.

Not everyone is into "Sony is evil". Eliminating a useful feature under the supposition it may require a future recall?

V

Vivek

It's not an omission, unless you want to compare the resolution of the the LCD screen/sensor between the Nex 5 and RX1rII and A7rII.

Not everyone is into "Sony is evil". Eliminating a useful feature under the supposition it may require a future recall?
How can you be so sure? Do you have any inside knowledge?

btw, the NEX-5 did not have a touch screen. It is the 16mp NEX-5N that had it. i know because I have owned both and still have a few NEX-5N.

V

Vivek

Inside knowledge? Do you have any eitther?
none. I just posted an opinion to a post earning for the touch screen. If it gets characterized as something else, it is not in my control.

Understand that i do own/ use/ the sony cameras under discussion.

k-hawinkler

I used my NEX-5N just yesterday, very enjoyable.
It's a small but fine camera.
Even the Summicron 28/2 works pretty well on it. :thumbs:

The Q has a touch screen and those puritans aren't complaining. Think of it this way. With a touchscreen you can always turn it off if you don't want to use it, and everybody's happy. I'm not saying Sony is evil I love this camera. I'm just saying it was the wrong move IMO to omit the feature. Even with the quicker access to the focus point it's a PITA to change points. Fuji just learned this and has implemented their joystick. With a camera this high in resolution that will so often be shot wide open, "focus and recompose" won't always be sufficient to maintain focus where you want it.

V

Vivek

Are you using AF in the contnuous mode? It appears to be blazingly fast (put it on wide area) and will lock on the nearest subject in the frame.

I do agree tbat a touch screen feature can be turned off when not needed.

One other neat advantage of touch screen that Panasonic showed me is the touch focus/capture in combination with spot metering. Total bliss! :)

Are you using AF in the contnuous mode? It appears to be blazingly fast (put it on wide area) and will lock on the nearest subject in the frame.

I do agree tbat a touch screen feature can be turned off when not needed.

One other neat advantage of touch screen that Panasonic showed me is the touch focus/capture in combination with spot metering. Total bliss! :)
I've been using it in AF-C with the Wide-Small area (forget the actual name). I know I need to play around more. In everything but really low light i'm happy with it. You definitely need to find that small contrasty spot for it it find focus, but it does pretty quickly. In bar type lighting I find the AF really struggles which is disappointing. My only concern about AF-C is that it might drain my battery even faster. I'll have to experiment more. The good thing is that this lens and this camera just beg to be used. It's so good!

dandrewk

I've been using it in AF-C with the Wide-Small area (forget the actual name). I know I need to play around more. In everything but really low light i'm happy with it. You definitely need to find that small contrasty spot for it it find focus, but it does pretty quickly. In bar type lighting I find the AF really struggles which is disappointing. My only concern about AF-C is that it might drain my battery even faster. I'll have to experiment more. The good thing is that this lens and this camera just beg to be used. It's so good!
Yes, do continue to experiment. There are numerous images online of folks taking low light images in bars and night clubs. For myself, shooting indoors, the AF worked just a good as any of my Nikon systems.