Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: G Master lenses - 24-70mm f/2.8, 85mm f/1.4 & 70-200mm f/2.8

Post Thanks / Like

Re: G Master lenses - 24-70mm f/2.8, 85mm f/1.4 & 70-200mm f/2.8

Quote Originally Posted by Annna T View Post
    What I don't understand is why they make that move with the A7r. Why didn't they just put the A7r2 sensor in an A99 or A900 kind of body and add all the advantages of mirrorless to that ? That would make a perfect pro body and the lenses are already available.. And keep the A7 line for a light system. They were on something with the first A7 bodies and lens. I think it is a blunder to mix a pro heavy duty set of lenses with the A7 form factor, it is just not coherent.
    Also are they leaving the owners of Sony DSLRs bodies go away ?

I can well see the needs of pros, it is just that I don't think they should/can be satisfied with an A7 kind of body. As is Sony is not developing the A7 system in the right direction; they are making a mess, blurring lines between their different lines of products. It doesn't make sense and isn't coherent. It is as if they were only planning things for the very short term, listening too much to what is heard on social network, where everyone wants the widest lenses, the fastest aperture etc..
    You satisfy different needs with different product lines. The A7r started in one direction and is now heading elsewhere, while the A-mount seems forgotten.

Sony has wonderful sensors and remarkable technology, but they aren't implementing it in a coherent sets of products.
    I do think they will release a big FE body to better accommodate these G master lenses. It's quite easy to go big than go small. Personally, I think they did the right thing by releasing these top dogs so they have to worry about them any more. 2.8 zooms are the bread and butter of many pros so that Sony system doesn't seem to be much of a compromise. For the small primes, I think Zeiss will take care of with their current Batis and Loxia. Cheap small primes and decent zooms are what Sony can focus on next. The A-mount is going nowhere so it doesn't make too much sense to develop anything for it.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

What I don't understand is why they make that move with the A7r. Why didn't they just put the A7r2 sensor in an A99 or A900 kind of body and add all the advantages of mirrorless to that ? That would make a perfect pro body and the lenses are already available.. And keep the A7 line for a light system. They were on something with the first A7 bodies and lens. I think it is a blunder to mix a pro heavy duty set of lenses with the A7 form factor, it is just not coherent.
    Also are they leaving the owners of Sony DSLRs bodies go away ?

I can well see the needs of pros, it is just that I don't think they should/can be satisfied with an A7 kind of body. As is Sony is not developing the A7 system in the right direction; they are making a mess, blurring lines between their different lines of products. It doesn't make sense and isn't coherent. It is as if they were only planning things for the very short term, listening too much to what is heard on social network, where everyone wants the widest lenses, the fastest aperture etc..
    You satisfy different needs with different product lines. The A7r started in one direction and is now heading elsewhere, while the A-mount seems forgotten.

Sony has wonderful sensors and remarkable technology, but they aren't implementing it in a coherent sets of products.
    The sad state of the A-mount cameras is one of the mysteries of the camera industry. It's almost as if Sony, in disappointment over not being able to dominate the DSLR market overnight, simply threw the cards on the ground and left the table. An upgraded version of the A99 (better viewfinder, better sensor, 4K video and correcting a few other quirks) could have been the ultimate do-it-all camera, the best of all worlds. To complete the picture, they could launch an A900 II with similar specs (wouldn't cost them much if they still have the tooling). Think about it; A7R II, A99 II and A900 II, all with the same sensor... it would have been an unbeatable combination.

But I suppose, being a rabbit in a rabbit world does make for some erratic behavior sometimes...

Things I sell: https://www.shutterstock.com/g/epixx?language=en

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    The sad state of the A-mount cameras is one of the mysteries of the camera industry. It's almost as if Sony, in disappointment over not being able to dominate the DSLR market overnight, simply threw the cards on the ground and left the table. An upgraded version of the A99 (better viewfinder, better sensor, 4K video and correcting a few other quirks) could have been the ultimate do-it-all camera, the best of all worlds. To complete the picture, they could launch an A900 II with similar specs (wouldn't cost them much if they still have the tooling). Think about it; A7R II, A99 II and A900 II, all with the same sensor... it would have been an unbeatable combination.

But I suppose, being a rabbit in a rabbit world does make for some erratic behavior sometimes...

Guess you never heard of Leica R. Say no more
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Welcome to the real world of photography.

Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEvangelist View Post
    There goes my budget for the year.

70-200mm f/2.8, 24-70mm f/2.8 & 85mm f/1.4

Attachment 116231

https://www.morningstar.com/news/pr-...le-lenses.html

Sorry, fixed typo - it's a 24-70mm, not 28-70mm.
    That collection would be nice
    Sony A7RII
    Sony 16-35 f/4, Sony 55mm f/1.8, Sony 70-200 f/4, Sony 24-75 f/2.8, Zeiss Batis 85mm

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

"I accidentally enlarged your camera. Hope you don't mind"

I always thought of the Nikkor as a monster, but apparently, it's only a toy for us amateurs
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

The Canon system is well stabilized, it is in the lenses, that need it. As for 4K I don't think it will add much weight to Canon bodies when they add it (their bodies are enough big to dissipate heat, unlike the smaller Sony bodies).
    Perhaps Canon's sensor/electronics tech is lagging but the 4k implementation in their just released behemoth 1DX2 does not impress, being cropped and deplying a grossly inefficient MPEG codec which means that 10 min of 4K video fills a 64gb card. It seems to me that adding 4k that works as well as Sony's is not a trivial exercise.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's my take;
    A7RII is a nice small full frame hi-res camera body.
    I have lenses available that are slower max aperture and smaller for when I have lots of light and want small and light.

I have a battery grip and faster wide aperture lenses for when I am searching for light and its still as reasonable size and weight.

With the DSLRs I used in the past it was only large and heavy.

These lenses offer an attractive addition to the kit.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dmward View Post
    Here's my take;
    It appears the only weak link to solve is the battery...

Post Thanks / Like

Those lenses smell like hot cookies. Now,Sony, please make a real pro body ...
    Kind regards - Hulyss - hulyssbowman.com
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

I have A7rII and A99. A99 goes to EBay any day now. A mirrorless camera with a mirror, how much sense does that make?

Best regards
    Erik

Post Thanks / Like

what i found interesting is that in all promo video, they put the battery grip onto the a7rII bodies. i wonder if they are going for the pro look, or it's just for balance sake.
    Keep It Simple.
    XQ2 / A7r / 15mm / 25mm / 28-35-50mm
    EOS M3 / 18-35mm

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If ya wants fast ya pays for it ... in size and dollars. Apparently, Sony sees more gold in their own premium optics verses those done in conjunction with Zeiss.

The 24-70/28 is a "must" staple for wedding and event shooters (either that, or a 24-105/4). It'll be interesting to see if they got the distortion under control with the f/2.8 version compared to the f4.

The comparison between the ZA 24-70/2.8-II and this new FE 24-70/2.8 is interesting. Both are internal focusing, SSM, with 9 aperture blades. The ZA is an inch shorter and takes a 77MM filter verses the 82 of the FE. Yet, the ZA weighs 975g verses 886g. With the LAEA-3 the size of the ZA is about the same. The BIG question is image performance ... I know the ZA Zeiss designed optic is quite good with Zeiss characteristics that marry well with the Zeiss FE 55/1.8. Remains to be seen how this lens compares.

The new FE 85/1.4 is a welcome addition, and size is not the driving issue when seeking a fast portrait optic IMO (think Canon's 85/1.2 monster on a 5D). HOWEVER, the samples posted has me worried about the abrupt transition from in to out-of-focus: (zoom in and look at the in-focus transitions areas on this shot ... hmmmm?)

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PROD...-85mm-0107.HTM

BTW, the best 85/14 I ever used was the Zeiss 85/1.4N for the Contax N cameras due to color rendition and absolutely superb transitions.

Oh, and I wouldn't eliminate the possibility of a A99 replacement ... Sony has continued updating the ZA lens line including the ZA 50/1.4 SSM and the very recent ZA 24-70/2.8-II make-over. The A99 is a more versatile and secure system for certain types of pro work, and a Mirrorless replacement sporting the newer sensor tech with a better viewfinder resolution than the A cameras while keeping the dual card, incredibly articulated LCD, better ergonomics, and longer lasting battery is not only possible, I predict it is probable in this coming year.

- Marc

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a sample from DPreview at f1.4 (out of the 85). I have nothing to say about quality. I would like to see some other examples for the bokeh but it look like a VERY good lens. This is soooo sad it is only Sony mount...

Kind regards - Hulyss - hulyssbowman.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here are other shots from the shooting:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/themir...7664287973815/
    It's a mix of the 85/1.4 and the 24-70/2.8

Quote Originally Posted by Hulyss Bowman View Post
    Here is a sample from DPreview at f1.4 (out of the 85). I have nothing to say about quality. I would like to see some other examples for the bokeh but it look like a VERY good lens. This is soooo sad it is only Sony mount...
    Last edited by seb; 4th February 2016 at 02:36.
    Flickr

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

To be honest, and I try not to be too negative here, but after looking at a dozen photos taken with the 85mm, my impression is "good but boring". Certainly not better than the Nikkor, and compared to the Milvus, there's a world of difference. Either that or there's something wrong with my eyes, but the Zeiss seems to be superior in every way; sharpness, pop, colour, contrast, micro-contrast. Don't know about bokeh yet. Would have to see more photos.

I'm sure excellent photos can be taken with this lens, but I keep wondering why they didn't let Zeiss design it. Or maybe Zeiss has found that it's easier to protect and build their reputation making their own lenses.

Post Thanks / Like

Anna, To offer a possible reason for Sony's push on these lenses instead of a a99II would be it's new found restless customer base in the E mount. As we saw with the compressed RAW thing many or at least the most vocal of the customers that migrated from other brands want this system to be or surpass their old systems the left to justify their expenditures. These are start up users mostly using their old glass and adapters with this body. I am sure Sony intentionally is only offering full function on their OEM glass so this new customer base gets the "I want it all" GAS cravings.

A new A99II would of sold bodies to their old customer base who probably have all the glass they will ever need in A mount. Offering a new brass ring on the FE merry go round will sell bodies, accessories, and glass to this new migrant customer base so eager to spend their money. Sony is doing what any business struggling to stay afloat in the world market has to do. Make what sells the most product. This E mount market has the most possibility for the largest amount of sales with various products in their line. A A99II would just sell a body in most cases in the A mount market which also is dwindling due to it's fear of being a dead fruit on the photography product vine.
    Last edited by Jim DE; 4th February 2016 at 13:44.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

maybe all of your points come from the photographer and the processing. I would not judge too early.

Here are some others from brian smith (also 85/1.4 and 24-70/2.8):
    Field Test: Sony G Master 24-70 F2.8 & 85 F1.4 Lenses

To be honest, and I try not to be too negative here, but after looking at a dozen photos taken with the 85mm, my impression is "good but boring". Certainly not better than the Nikkor, and compared to the Milvus, there's a world of difference. Either that or there's something wrong with my eyes, but the Zeiss seems to be superior in every way; sharpness, pop, colour, contrast, micro-contrast. Don't know about bokeh yet. Would have to see more photos.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Cool Re: G Master lenses - 24-70mm f/2.8, 85mm f/1.4 & 70-200mm f/2.8

I'm not looking at any samples yet as the last 40 years of my career I never saw anything worth looking at they usually suck and I could never figure out why either. I'll wait till the very end of this frenzy of knee jerk posting of crap images. I have no doubt in my mind that these three lenses will be outstanding. Frankly I never guessed wrong before on new release lenses but I'm not going to get caught up in this ah it just stinks attitude in the beginning because it always proves to be wrong on any system. They used my initials on these lenses GM so how the hell could they be bad with my name on it.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    They used my initials on these lenses GM so how the hell could they be bad with my name on it.
    q.e.d.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dmward View Post
    Here's my take;
    I have lenses available that are slower max aperture and smaller for when I have lots of light and want small and light.

I have a battery grip and faster wide aperture lenses for when I am searching for light and its still as reasonable size and weight.

With the DSLRs I used in the past it was only large and heavy.

The problem I have is that the lenses that are the smaller aperture lenses (e.g., a 24-70 f/4 zoom) will not be the very best lenses of that type that Sony is capable of producing...the state of the art will be applied by Sony to the G Master lenses, which will all be big and fast honkers and priced at a premium level. The slower but more compact lenses will be priced at a lower level but with a lower level of quality. Sony doesn't understand that there is a large number of photographers who own the A7 cameras that would not balk at the price of the new 24-70 f/2.8 zoom but they won't buy it because of the sheer size and weight. If it were an f/4 zoom at half the size and weight with incredible quality across the range and cost $2200, I would buy it in a heartbeat. Sony and Canon and Nikon are all living in an outdated universe where they position smallish/slower lenses as relatively inexpensive and the big/faster lenses as more expensive. This is appropriate for professional photographers, but what percentage of the owners of Sony A7r and A7RII camera bodies are professionals who really need fast glass for specific applications?
    hcubell
    www.howardcubell.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by segedi View Post
    It appears the only weak link to solve is the battery...
    Buy spares.

Really. I've battery live is not something I even think about. I just carry spares in by bag and pocket if away from the bag.
    David

dmwfotos | davidmward.photography

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hcubell View Post
    Sony and Canon and Nikon are all living in an outdated universe where they position smallish/slower lenses as relatively inexpensive and the big/faster lenses as more expensive. This is appropriate for professional photographers, but what percentage of the owners of Sony A7r and A7RII camera bodies are professionals who really need fast glass for specific applications?
    Idk about Canon but Nikon's 1.8G line up is nearly universally praised for great optics and light weight. Sony has the 28/2, 35/2.8, 55/1.8, 70-200/4, 16-35/4, Batis 85/1.8 & 25/2, and Loxia lenses if you don't need AF, all at relatively small sizes and all praised in one way or another. What's the problem?

Like you though I have been arguing that Sony doesn't need to match Canon and Nikon for fast zooms. If I want to use a 24-70 I'll do it on a Nikon. The AF performance gap is still pretty wide and the size of the body matches the size of the lens. I wish Sony would stick to f1.8-2 primes that are matched to the size of the body.

Then again, I just sold my A7II kit for an RX1RII. That 35/2 is juuuuust right!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

the new sony 85 is huge...batis 85 on the right

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bildschirmfoto-2016-02-04-um-14.22.04.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	19.9 KB 
ID:	116263
    Brad Husick
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bradhusick View Post
    the new sony 85 is huge...batis 85 on the right

Name:	Bildschirmfoto-2016-02-04-um-14.22.04.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	19.9 KB 
ID:	116263
    A picture being worth 1000 words.
    Game, set, and match Zeiss.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by seb View Post
    [..]
    Here are some others from brian smith (also 85/1.4 and 24-70/2.8):
    Field Test: Sony G Master 24-70 F2.8 & 85 F1.4 Lenses
    More shots ( scroll down the page) ..
    First Impressions: Sony 85mm f1.4 G Master Series (Sony FE) - The Phoblographer

In a word - impressive - IMO

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I am an amateur seascape shooter who almost always stops down to f11-f13 for depth of field (refraction be damned), and I use the A7RII as my "always have with me" camera. I have only three native lenses: the diminutive 35mm f2.8, the unbelievably sharp 55mm f1.8, and the Zeiss 16-35, as I love to shoot really wide for seascapes. So I have no need, or use, for big, fast, bulky lenses. I have a Nikon D800E for that. I also have a stable full of "A" mount lenses with adapters, including the Zeiss 24-70 f2.8.

So bottom line for me is I would welcome an upgraded 24-70 f4 with IS, (one with Zeiss quality to match the price...sorry the present one does not) and small light f2.8 primes. But I am in the minority.
    Dave in NJ

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Some background information video: G Master -Technology innovation behind G Master
    Bart ...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gurtch View Post
    Well, I am an amateur seascape shooter who almost always stops down to f11-f13 for depth of field (refraction be damned), and I use the A7RII as my "always have with me" camera. I have only three native lenses: the diminutive 35mm f2.8, the unbelievably sharp 55mm f1.8, and the Zeiss 16-35, as I love to shoot really wide for seascapes. So I have no need, or use, for big, fast, bulky lenses. I have a Nikon D800E for that. I also have a stable full of "A" mount lenses with adapters, including the Zeiss 24-70 f2.8.

So bottom line for me is I would welcome an upgraded 24-70 f4 with IS, (one with Zeiss quality to match the price...sorry the present one does not) and small light f2.8 primes. But I am in the minority.
    Dave in NJ
    I question whether you are in the minority. I would bet that if Sony produced a small, light, take no prisoners, ultimate quality 24-105 f/4 zoom for $2,500-$3,000, they would sell beyond Sony's wildest dreams.
    hcubell
    www.howardcubell.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hcubell View Post
    I question whether you are in the minority. I would bet that if Sony produced a small, light, take no prisoners, ultimate quality 24-105 f/4 zoom for $2,500-$3,000, they would sell beyond Sony's wildest dreams.
    I would buy one. I would love to see a light (plasticky) 85 or 90mm f2.8. I am tempted to buy the 85mm f2.8 Sony lens in A mount and use an adapter (which I already have). Plastic parts but light at 6 ounces, with hood, brand new for $273 at B&H. Not meant for heavy pro use, but I am not a pro. Reviews raved about it.
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    That is correct. Pros would not go to Sony so they HAVE to make lenses in 1.4 and 2.8 variety.

Now bodies. Annna you bring up a good point but again Im afraid its ONLY going to be FE lenses. A lenses are dead and gone from Sony's mindset. they gave us a new A6300 and I suspect next we will see a Full Frame FE mount Pro model next but my guess it won't be much bigger. They will add the A6300 af engine, 2 card slots and a bigger battery after that not much to add over the A7rII as really they are the only things really missing. Sure maybe some more small feature sets and maybe more custom buttons. But its not going to be a Canon Missile launcher . They lose there market if it gets too big
    A-Mount as a stand-alone system is dead as soon as a successor to the LA EA4 adapter is introduced without mirror, using the camera's focusing and a motor for the screw-drive A-mount legacy lenses. My hope is this is the path Sony takes with a mirror-less A9 to succeed the A99 and introduce this adapter as a LA EA5.
    Last edited by engel001; 4th February 2016 at 13:56.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Based on this article

'We want to make lenses that can be used forever': Sony engineer discusses G Master lenses: Digital Photography Review

I am most interested in the GM 85/1.4 lens and wonder size-wise how it compares to the FE 90/2.8 MACRO G?
    With best regards, K-H.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes, the 85/1.4 GM is the special one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by k-hawinkler View Post
    Based on this article

'We want to make lenses that can be used forever': Sony engineer discusses G Master lenses: Digital Photography Review

I am most interested in the GM 85/1.4 lens and wonder size-wise how it compares to the FE 90/2.8 MACRO G?
    here ya go...

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-02-04 at 2.04.37 PM.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	19.4 KB 
ID:	116280
    Brad Husick

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by k-hawinkler View Post
    Based on this article

Click here to see a comparison of their weight and dimension at DPreview :

http://www.dpreview.com/products/com...p8_macro_g_oss

And here to see a picture comparing both :
    http://camerasize.com/compact/#624.512,624.516,ha,t

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bradhusick View Post
    here ya go...

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-02-04 at 2.04.37 PM.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	19.4 KB 
ID:	116280

Thank you Brad indeed!

As I have no problem carrying around my A7r2 with FE 90/2.8 MACRO G with one hand and a clutch from peak design I shouldn't have a problem with the GM 85/1.4 either. I think I'll wait for Guy Mancuso to give the GM 85/1.4 his typical set of rigorous tests.
    With best regards, K-H.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The 85 1.4 size don't bug me too much. The 24-70 2.8 is a different story

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

One thing I don't understand here:
    The 24-70mm seems to be as large as the A-mount 24-70mm plus adapter, a lens that has a good reputation. Why did they do that? Wouldn't it have made more sense to make something a bit more compact given the compactness of the camera bodies, a fact that has been used extensively when marketing the A7 cameras?

Yes, yes, I know... high-end lenses are getting larger by the minute, but again, Sony has marketed this system as being compact, one of the consequences being the tiny battery. I keep coming back to the idea that an upgraded A99 would have been a more suitable solution for large, heavy lenses.

But that's me.
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Wouldn't it have made more sense to make something a bit more compact given the compactness of the camera bodies, a fact that has been used extensively when marketing the A7 cameras?

Yes, yes, I know... high-end lenses are getting larger by the minute, but again, Sony has marketed this system as being compact, one of the consequences being the tiny battery.
    If the results do not fit the hypothesis, come up with a new theory. That seems to be the strategy.

"Sensitivity in the palm of your hands!" Appears to be not working in terms of sales to some quarters.

Post Thanks / Like

The 24-70mm seems to be as large as the A-mount 24-70mm plus adapter, a lens that has a good reputation. Why did they do that? Wouldn't it have made more sense to make something a bit more compact given the compactness of the camera bodies, a fact that has been used extensively when marketing the A7 cameras?

Yes, yes, I know... high-end lenses are getting larger by the minute, but again, Sony has marketed this system as being compact, one of the consequences being the tiny battery. I keep coming back to the idea that an upgraded A99 would have been a more suitable solution for large, heavy lenses.

But that's me.
    Jorgen thinks Sony lenses are too big and the battery too small? Didn't see that coming.
    Regards,
    John
    Sony fanboy, shamelessly shilling for "the man" since 2010.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jfirneno View Post
    Jorgen thinks Sony lenses are too big and the battery too small? Didn't see that coming.
    What I think isn't very interesting, but this 85mm is going to compete with the Zeiss Batis 85mm which, although two thirds of a stop slower, something that for most photographers using cameras with IBIS and that are capable of clean shots up to several thousand ISO isn't a relevant difference, is 42% lighter and 33% cheaper. Zeiss does tend to make rather good lenses, and to me, that choice, as an amateur or professional photographer, would be so easy that I wouldn't even pick up the brochure for the Sony.

You can always say that this doesn't affect those who want this lens and eventually will buy it. But it does. If not enough people buy it, it won't be profitable for Sony, and if Sony doesn't make money out of this, the progress will slow down, like it did with the A-mount cameras. Ultimately, that would mean less competition for Canon and Nikon who will be able to postpone the launch of their own, inevitable full frame mirrorless alternatives, leaving Sony with less competition in that area.

Leaving Sony alone in this market niche might be a strike of genius by Canon and Nikon. It does give Sony a more or less monopoly, but that monopoly has little value if the niche doesn't increase in size. At the moment, it doesn't. CIPA figures from December 2015 show that total mirrorless sales are 35% of the DSLR numbers, and still, the mirrorless market is shared among 4-5 players while the DSLR market is mostly shared by only 2. These lenses, which I'm sure is of very good quality, will do nothing to change that. The bulk of mirrorless buyers prefer smaller cameras with smaller lenses and mostly won't even know that gear like this exist for their cameras. Canon and Nikon on the other hand have the huge advantage of having their pro gear on exhibition at every major sports event worldwide.

By staying out of full frame mirrorless, they leave Sony fighting this uphill battle alone, and every mistake they do will cost them. Honestly, I believe launching these bulky, heavy lenses is a mistake. They should look to Leica, and develop some compact, state-of-the-art f/2 primes that would make professionals go "oh" and "ah". The dpr crowd will be less than impressed of course, but most of them won't be buying these big hunks anyway, so there's really nothing to lose.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

But that's me.
    I believe that the lenses are larger as they are developed for maximum resolution on high resolution cameras. This is in line with lenses like the Zeiss Otus. I think final verdict should be reserved for production lenses.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Post Thanks / Like

What I think isn't very interesting, but this 85mm is going to compete with the Zeiss Batis 85mm which, although two thirds of a stop slower, something that for most photographers using cameras with IBIS and that are capable of clean shots up to several thousand ISO isn't a relevant difference, is 42% lighter and 33% cheaper. Zeiss does tend to make rather good lenses, and to me, that choice, as an amateur or professional photographer, would be so easy that I wouldn't even pick up the brochure for the Sony.

You can always say that this doesn't affect those who want this lens and eventually will buy it. But it does. If not enough people buy it, it won't be profitable for Sony, and if Sony doesn't make money out of this, the progress will slow down, like it did with the A-mount cameras. Ultimately, that would mean less competition for Canon and Nikon who will be able to postpone the launch of their own, inevitable full frame mirrorless alternatives, leaving Sony with less competition in that area.

Leaving Sony alone in this market niche might be a strike of genius by Canon and Nikon. It does give Sony a more or less monopoly, but that monopoly has little value if the niche doesn't increase in size. At the moment, it doesn't. CIPA figures from December 2015 show that total mirrorless sales are 35% of the DSLR numbers, and still, the mirrorless market is shared among 4-5 players while the DSLR market is mostly shared by only 2. These lenses, which I'm sure is of very good quality, will do nothing to change that. The bulk of mirrorless buyers prefer smaller cameras with smaller lenses and mostly won't even know that gear like this exist for their cameras. Canon and Nikon on the other hand have the huge advantage of having their pro gear on exhibition at every major sports event worldwide.

By staying out of full frame mirrorless, they leave Sony fighting this uphill battle alone, and every mistake they do will cost them. Honestly, I believe launching these bulky, heavy lenses is a mistake. They should look to Leica, and develop some compact, state-of-the-art f/2 primes that would make professionals go "oh" and "ah". The dpr crowd will be less than impressed of course, but most of them won't be buying these big hunks anyway, so there's really nothing to lose.
    Yes and you have expressed all of these arguments over and over since the A7 series was launched. I would say that after the Sony users on the Sony forum have heard your arguments about how awful the A7 cameras are for the hundredth time we understand your opinion. But despite your pronouncements about our doomed camera line we persevere in our foolish behavior. We buy the cameras and lenses and take pictures with them. Do you also go to archery ranges and tell them that guns are better weapons and to bicycle clubs and tell them that cars are faster?

I believe the correct technical term for your behavior is concern-trolling. Now I'm sure it's very enjoyable but I personally think that when taken to extremes it is rude and boring. Wouldn't you be better off telling the folks on the Nikon forum how great the D5 is compared to the A7R 2? That would be spreading joy.
    Regards,
    John
    Sony fanboy, shamelessly shilling for "the man" since 2010.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by HiredArm View Post
    I believe that the lenses are larger as they are developed for maximum resolution on high resolution cameras. This is in line with lenses like the Zeiss Otus. I think final verdict should be reserved for production lenses.
    In the real world, people judge a lens from what they see. Sony has let photographers use this lens, photos have been published, that is what people see. If it will be improved before it's sent out to the market, most users will never see that. Only the dedicated enthusiasts will bother to do further research. I may be stupid and lazy, but experience has taught me that most others are at least as stupid and lazy as I am

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

But that's me.
    That's me too Jorgen.

Image quality being equal, my personal preference is for a camera/lens combo that feels balanced in my hands. Small camera, big & heavy lenses...that does not appeal to me.

I would rather use a DSLR type camera with 24-70/2.8 lens that feels just right than a small mirrorless camera with a lens that is nearly as big as the equivalent DSLR lens. These new Sony lenses have little appeal to me for that reason (I own a Sony A7).

On the other hand, I am still very tempted by the Zeiss Batis 85.

Gary

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

All this whining ... really : GM Lenses are made for future High Res cameras
    Bart ...

Post Thanks / Like

I am going to get a 85mm, and would have owned the Batis by now but could never find one. Now comes the f/1.4 G master lens. Hmmmm....

I want it.

All I care about is pure IQ, and I don't care how big or heavy one is to the other.

The New Sony G master 85mm had better have stellar IQ to beat the Zeiss, if it doesn't, then why would one buy it? Because if the Batis has better IQ, then the Batis wins on everything except light gathering ability.

I want the G master to be better, but time will tell, most of the image samples I see I don't put much stock in, as I remember seeing image samples from my beloved RX1 look like ****, and I know what that GEM
    of a camera is capable of.
    the HepKitty

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Knorp View Post
    Here are a couple of other large aperture portrait lenses that I believe are made to handle future high res cameras as well:

Hasselblad/Fujinon HC 110mm f/2.2:
    Weight: 780g
    Length: 80.5mm
    Diameter: 87.5mm
    Filter thread: 77mm

Leica Summicron-S 100mm f/2:
    Weight: 910g
    Length: 102.0mm
    Diameter: 91.0mm
    Filter thread: 82mm

Sony 85mm f/1.4 GM:
    Weight: 820g
    Length: 108.0mm
    Diameter: 90.0mm

Nikkor 85mm f/1.4 AF-S:
    Weight: 595g
    Length: 83.8mm
    Diameter: 86.4mm

So, the Sony is slightly larger but also slightly lighter than the Leica, which covers a larger sensor and for sure must be designed to handle larger resolution sensors in the future. The ancient Hasselfuji which covers 60x45mm is clearly no slouch either. And the Nikon? There are reasons why people still buy those clunky, old flip-flap cameras you know. It's cheaper too

So they've made a portrait lens as large and heavy as a medium format lens of similar caliber. Does it bother me? Not one bit, but it has given me yet another reason not to consider the A7. 85mm is one of my favourite focal lengths, and the Nikkor suddenly looks almost pocketable

Edit: Maybe you should ban me from the Sony forum, so that you can enjoy your gear without having to see my poisonous mails on every page
    Last edited by Jorgen Udvang; 4th February 2016 at 22:47.

Post Thanks / Like

Edit: Maybe you should ban me from the Sony forum, so that you can enjoy your gear without having to see my poisonous mails on every page
    Nah! It's good to have criticism and POV from a different perspective. You're alright.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

There is a pricey 500/4 G lens from Sony. Is it there thereto compete with those of Canon or Nikon?

Hell, no!