Site Sponsors
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: G Master lenses - 24-70mm f/2.8, 85mm f/1.4 & 70-200mm f/2.8

Post Thanks / Like

Re: G Master lenses - 24-70mm f/2.8, 85mm f/1.4 & 70-200mm f/2.8

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post

IMO, he should skip the "impartial" disclaimers since it is pretty hard to believe coming from someone designated a "Sony Artisan Of Imagery"

- Marc

Do you think that if any of these Artisans give the 85mm f/1.4 a bad review that Sony will cut them off?
    the HepKitty

Post Thanks / Like

This summer, I am going on a nice family trip to Italy and France and I expect to take only the fine 16-35/4 FE and the 85/1.4 GM for lenses.

I'll also pack two bodies and with Sony's great sensors, Eye Detect AF, IBIS and 4K video I have no doubt I'll get plenty of stills and video that are either very difficult or just flat out impossible to obtain with any other system.

The 16-35FE is a no brainer and easily churns out beautiful wide-scapes that print silly big or can be shown off at a mighty 2 MP resolution on any computer or tablet. It was my main lens at the Super Bowl and it really came through for me.

The 85mm GM gives me one fast lens for the trip and it is going to be a through-the-roof portrait lens.

Seriously, if the 85 GM is not a big hunk of portrait love crafted from slow roasted unobtainium and seasoned with Rainbow Unicorn Poop I'll eat the plastic mount of my original A7.

-Bill
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
    Do you think that if any of these Artisans give the 85mm f/1.4 a bad review that Sony will cut them off?
    Personally, I'm at least a bit skeptical about any individual who gets special dispensation from any of these companies. IMO, it is human nature to maintain one's status to keep in good graces. It isn't a matter of a bad review, but more a slanted one that seems to always favor the new gear ... which was predictable in this case the minute he delivered the disclaimer.

Obviously, I'm not alone in my skepticism or the fellow wouldn't feel compelled to try and persuade us otherwise in the first place.

- Marc
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think, yes. They will chop something if they do not promote their goods.

You can see it in case of the 16-70 zony zoom. Nat Geo fame is used to peddle that.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by k-hawinkler View Post
    Thanks Vivek. Yup. Agreed.
    However, I found the couple of seconds where he compared the bokehs worth suffering through the rest.
    YMMV.

Those few seconds (never found them..unless you refer to the toy snaps) were lost in the midst of several minutes of monologue. Most guys (sony "artisans") on you tube do this.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Images speak mouthpieces get ignored. It's how I watch them. You just need a good filter.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Those few seconds (never found them..unless you refer to the toy snaps) were lost in the midst of several minutes of monologue. Most guys (sony "artisans") on you tube do this.
    Well Vivek, sometimes one has to filter out a lot of crap and pick a few goodies and ignore the rest.
    Of course, I prefer concise information, but not many folks seem to know how to produce just that.
    I actually think it has been useful for me to follow the discussion after the link to the video in this thread:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3970165

In there is also the following link:

http://www.thephoblographer.com/2016.../#.Vszv5_i76hS

That again links to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L86jqG4Riqc

So please be forewarned and ignore my post. YMMV.
    With best regards, K-H.

Post Thanks / Like

DPR has posted some sample images from the 24-70mm and 85mm G Master lenses. They look pretty good (to me).

24-70mm sample gallery - http://www.dpreview.com/sample-galle...yId=4498841025

85mm sample gallery - http://www.dpreview.com/sample-galle...yId=2990314812

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I saw them earlier and I tend to agree that they look good.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Based on those images, they seem technically okay, but aesthetically pretty boring ... especially the 85.

... over-all, they look pretty average to me. No signature character, or pop or whatever you may call it. Pretty uninspiring look IMO.

I'll wait for more evidence.

- Marc

Post Thanks / Like

How well these new lenses match up to the marketing remains to be seen, but I'm sure they'll be good.
    Marc, I'd expect a good copy is going to be pretty good, though the first FE Zeiss 2470 did not meet expectations in general. The question is: can they make them consistently?

Back in 1950 Nikon made into the American market partly because in heavy duty tests sponsored by LIFE, copy variation was much less than Leica or Zeiss of the day, and they were sharper too.
    Read about it:
    https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1594/2...54ddd24d_k.jpg

So far the only FE mount lens for which I have not seen multiple complaints about QC is the 25/2.

So we will have to see if "G Master" is a marketing thing, or really means they are going to try harder to make them good and make them consistently.

But it's a good thing these fast zooms will be an option, that's for sure. Huge step forward for the system.

Post Thanks / Like

Any news on availability? Seriously considering the 24-70.
    Too much to list, let's just say I have a bad case of GAS.........

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Big fat grin! My copy of the 85/1.4 GM is arrived! Here is my first shot. Not very informative, I know.

first shot

Sony FE 85/1.4 GM (click for full resolution)

There is one thing, the AF-motor is quite noisy. Does anybody know something about this?
    Last edited by seb; 30th March 2016 at 09:34.
    Flickr

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Annna T View Post
    I can well see the needs of pros, it is just that I don't think they should/can be satisfied with an A7 kind of body. As is Sony is not developing the A7 system in the right direction; they are making a mess, blurring lines between their different lines of products. It doesn't make sense and isn't coherent. It is as if they were only planning things for the very short term, listening too much to what is heard on social network, where everyone wants the widest lenses, the fastest aperture etc..
    You satisfy different needs with different product lines. The A7r started in one direction and is now heading elsewhere, while the A-mount seems forgotten.

Sony has wonderful sensors and remarkable technology, but they aren't implementing it in a coherent sets of products.
    Disagree completely. I'm a pro and I love the a7 (and RX) bodies, regardless of whether I am shooting a small prime or a 2.8 zoom. So do others. Respectfully, I'd rather not have someone dictate what I should or can be satisfied with as a pro - that's for me to decide.

What they are doing is building a new platform that is defined by its flexibility. Configure it small or add a grip and throw some big lenses on it. Works both ways. Sony is not confined by the platform parameters of Canon and Nikon so don't expect them to replicate those models.

Do I think they were testing the waters a bit when they released the a7? Sure, but since then they have quickly improved the technology while fleshing out a lens line that appeals to a wide variety of shooters over a relatively short span. I've got my unfulfilled wishlist but it is getting smaller by the month and I'm delighted by Sony's pace of innovation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by seb View Post
    Big fat grin! My copy of the 85/1.4 GM is arrived! Here is my first shot. Not very informative, I know.

There is one thing, the AF-motor is quite noisy. Does anybody know something about this?
    Congrats Seb! I haven't even gotten my copy yet.

Will let you know if the AF seems noisy once I do.

Post Thanks / Like

If I were the Sony A7 system product manager for a day here's what I'd suggest to the engineers;
    Combine the best AF features available, with a feature set that rivals those offered by Nikon and Canon Pro level cameras and include 2 card slots along with two battery bays.

That combined with 2.8 zooms and 1.4 primes gets the job done.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Based on those images, they seem technically okay, but aesthetically pretty boring ... especially the 85.

... over-all, they look pretty average to me. No signature character, or pop or whatever you may call it. Pretty uninspiring look IMO.

I'll wait for more evidence.

- Marc
    I think you can say that about every DPR test sample gallery, regardless of the lens. God bless them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well, I'm an Artisan and I am told to tell it how it is. I criticized the RX1RII in my review for its battery performance and the speed of RAW playback. Honestly, those are the only two criticisms I could think of...

I'll add that Miguel is a complete pro and shoots Sony, Zeiss and Tamron so I think you can take his word. I have the same feeling regarding the Batis vs GM, that each has its market and niche. He seemed quite fair to the Batis at the end of the video, saying he was keeping both.

Post Thanks / Like

FYI - The 24-70mm G Master shows 'in stock' at B&H now.
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEvangelist View Post

I'm trying to ignore this lens.....

but it might not work...
    the HepKitty

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I can't add the money that high. Wish I could do it
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Show Performance View Post
    Congrats Seb! I haven't even gotten my copy yet.

Will let you know if the AF seems noisy once I do.
    Thank you. The lens is back in the store and they check it with Sony.
    The good thing is, that the shop owner looked puzzled as well, when he heared the sound. The bad thing is, their own copy sounded the same.

I asked for some user feedback at dpreview and some reported the lens is as silent and fast as the 55/1.8. One found a link from a chinese site, where there were scratches from the mechanic on the lens and the same sound. So it looks like I received a bad production batch.

Beside that, I made some tests yesterday:
    • It looks like the lens is as sharp (or even sharper) as the 90/2.8 macro over the whole pic at f5.6. At f1.4 it's decently sharp. Nothing that would be noticeable, with that small DOF. Those crazy MTF charts seems to be reality.
    • The bokeh is cream dream. I couldn't recognize a hint of an onion ring. The blurred background does not deform toward the corners. The switch between sharp area and bokeh feels very constant.
    • The special cover to reduce flares is scary. If you have a led lamp in the center, it looks like turned off, even it is turned on. I didn't test much on this.
    • HEAVY! The 90/2.8 feels good, but the 85/1.4 is just a brick on the front. I think, it can be a pain, to use it over several hours. I'm thinking of a vertical grip, just because of that.
    Flickr
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Show Performance View Post
    Well, I'm an Artisan and I am told to tell it how it is. I criticized the RX1RII in my review for its battery performance and the speed of RAW playback. Honestly, those are the only two criticisms I could think of...
    I don't think you were thinking very hard.

I admire the camera, but it is not taken seriously but alot of people for some very fundamental oversights such as:
    http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/top...391/1#13360915

The idea such a potentially great street camera could be designed in a way it won't hold a focus point on shut down/boot up, just shows that real working photographers are not involved in the design, as do the menus and other aspects of interface.

It's not to say the RX1r2 is not a marvel, and I would certainly like to have one, if not so expensive, but Sony has a great deal to learn about making high-end cameras, and they are not going to wake up on various fronts without their feet on the fire.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by uhoh7 View Post

I admire the camera, but it is not taken seriously but alot of people for some very fundamental oversights such as:

The idea such a potentially great street camera could be designed in a way it won't hold a focus point on shut down/boot up, just shows that real working photographers are not involved in the design, as do the menus and other aspects of interface.
    If you follow a blind, you can not do any better.

Why use zone focus when you can focus accurately with the RX1R II?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Wink Baseless utterings countered.

From yesterday (keep in mind that I am not all that strong at the moment to carry and hold the camera very securely. Luckily, the weight is just below what I am allowed to carry as well.).

Totally Auto Focused with auto ISO.

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr

RX1R II, ISO 100, 1/1000s, f/3.2, The Hague

100% Crop:

Another, backlit.

RX1R II, ISO 100, 1/1600s, f/3.2, The Hague

100%crop

Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Vivek!
    With best regards, K-H.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEvangelist View Post
    Hopefully that means Adorama is getting ready to send me the one I have on pre-order.
    David

dmwfotos | davidmward.photography

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dmward View Post
    Hopefully that means Adorama is getting ready to send me the one I have on pre-order.
    Im keeping a eye on Adorama for a lose one to be sold. Try to raise money now

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by uhoh7 View Post

It's not to say the RX1r2 is not a marvel, and I would certainly like to have one, if not so expensive, but Sony has a great deal to learn about making high-end cameras, and they are not going to wake up on various fronts without their feet on the fire.
    Well thank you for the kind comment. I'll try to think harder next time.

The only thing I saw reading that long thread was a bunch of people gnashing their teeth over snap shooting and zone focusing for street photography. I think we are getting pretty deep down in the weeds here aren't we? I reviewed the camera for my purposes, which include travel, reportage, live music (low light), portraiture and some street. That's a pretty wide swath of use cases and I think the RX1RII knocks it out of the park in most scenarios. If you expected me to criticize the camera for a street photography technique (snap and zone focusing) that I don't use, then my apologies.

Post Thanks / Like

I have cancelled my pre-order on both the 10mm Voightlander and the 85mm GM as I reassess what I need going forward. But I stand by my feeling that the 85 GM will be a spectacular portrait lens.

The reports of noisy focus are troubling.

-Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Just got an email from Adorama.
    24-70 F2.8 is packed and has a tracking number. Will leave tonight.

That means I'll probably have it Monday or Tuesday.

Edit: UPS notice says delivery Monday by end of day.
    Last edited by dmward; 31st March 2016 at 20:12.
    David

dmwfotos | davidmward.photography

Post Thanks / Like

24-70 arrived.
    Will have some time tomorrow to exercise it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Review coming, working on it now

Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

ok. I got a call from the shop. They checked my issue with Sony and they received an answer: This sound is normal in AF mode. For video shooters, it should be silent enough in manual focus mode.

So, it looks like I just got a copy that is louder than others (Roger Cicala (DPR) pointed on some variations in loudness while testing 40 of it). I will go now and pick up my copy, and see, if I get it more silent through use (as some pointed on, it is getting more silent through use).

As I made already some tests to check image quality, I will keep it anyway. It is just too magic to ignore (to combine Lucille and Guy to one sentence. ). And my copy is perfectly centered and sharp. If there would be an issue later with scratches, oil, flakes or whatever, they have to replace it anyway (thanks to guarantee). So there is no big risk for me at all.

Quote Originally Posted by seb View Post
    Thank you. The lens is back in the store and they check it with Sony.
    The good thing is, that the shop owner looked puzzled as well, when he heared the sound. The bad thing is, their own copy sounded the same.

I asked for some user feedback at dpreview and some reported the lens is as silent and fast as the 55/1.8. One found a link from a chinese site, where there were scratches from the mechanic on the lens and the same sound. So it looks like I received a bad production batch.

Beside that, I made some tests yesterday:
    • It looks like the lens is as sharp (or even sharper) as the 90/2.8 macro over the whole pic at f5.6. At f1.4 it's decently sharp. Nothing that would be noticeable, with that small DOF. Those crazy MTF charts seems to be reality.
    • The bokeh is cream dream. I couldn't recognize a hint of an onion ring. The blurred background does not deform toward the corners. The switch between sharp area and bokeh feels very constant.
    • The special cover to reduce flares is scary. If you have a led lamp in the center, it looks like turned off, even it is turned on. I didn't test much on this.
    • HEAVY! The 90/2.8 feels good, but the 85/1.4 is just a brick on the front. I think, it can be a pain, to use it over several hours. I'm thinking of a vertical grip, just because of that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My video if any one is interested. You have to download it straight out of camera

https://www.hightail.com/download/ZW...Z2psUjlEZU1UQw

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    My video if any one is interested. You have to download it straight out of camera

https://www.hightail.com/download/ZW...Z2psUjlEZU1UQw
    My copy sounds the same, and I have a lot of lubricant inside the lens (much more than on the pics of lensrental). But I will use it and ignore all that, because it's a great lens. Tomorrow is bad weather, but I hope I can add some pics to Lucilles Fun-thread in a few days!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Exactly just go shoot. That's my plan until I hear from my dealer. I helped bring the issue to light so Sony got word. Sony now has my emails to my dealer and the video to look over. All I was after

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Exactly just go shoot. That's my plan until I hear from my dealer. I helped bring the issue to light so Sony got word. Sony now has my emails to my dealer and the video to look over. All I was after
    That sounds good. If you have an answer, I'll be interested in their reply.
    And thank you, for your detailed tests in the other thread. Happy shooting!
    Seb
    Last edited by seb; 13th April 2016 at 02:44.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh no, a bad copy of 24-70/2.8 GM.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3991944
    With best regards, K-H.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by k-hawinkler View Post
    Oh no, a bad copy of 24-70/2.8 GM.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3991944
    I would change the dealer. If that does not help, change the brand.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Odd thing is my much maligned "mediocre" Sony Zeiss 24-70mm F/4 has turned in some better than expected results recently, leaving me wondering if I'd be better off keeping it, cancelling the 24-70 G Master order, and using primes for critical focal lengths. Still, the 85mm G Master is stellar.
    Quentin Bargate
    Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2017, ”leading individual”, Chambers HNW guide, 2017, Photographer

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quentin go look at my test thread on the 24-70 2.8 again. Might help you

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Anyone tested the 85 F/1.4 G Master against the current finest in this class, the Zeiss Otus F/1.4 85mm?

The Otus is MF only, of course. My guess is the Otus would still some out top, but only just.

Look at this 100 % crop from a shot taken at F/1.4 with the G Master. Its sharp enough to generate some moire on the window!

Quentin Bargate
    Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2017, ”leading individual”, Chambers HNW guide, 2017, Photographer
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: G Master lenses - 24-70mm f/2.8, 85mm f/1.4 & 70-200mm f/2.

Quote Originally Posted by Quentin_Bargate View Post
    Anyone tested the 85 F/1.4 G Master against the current finest in this class, the Zeiss Otus F/1.4 85mm?

The Otus is MF only, of course.
    Apparantly the 85/1.4 GM is an AF disaster!

See: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1425123

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

See: favorite (not) bloghead doubles down on 85GM AF problems - FM Forums
    Could have fooled me!

PS: I have always been looking for a use of . It seems fitting here for the original claim.
    With best regards, K-H.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Mine nail focus in AF-S mode very well. In AF-C mode it tends to hunt.
    Quentin Bargate

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Quentin_Bargate View Post
    Mine nail focus in AF-S mode very well. In AF-C mode it tends to hunt.
    Thanks Quentin. I don't have that particular lens.

Especially in low light or for low contrast subjects and for AF-C I suspect.
    But that seems to hold more or less for all my AF lenses.
    I think it's a feature of the camera with the latest firmware.

Is your experience different from this?
    With best regards, K-H.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

FWIW, even in AF-C there are many configurations possible. It calls for experimentation to find the correct set of settings.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

FWIW, even in AF-C there are many configurations possible. It calls for experimentation to find the correct set of settings.
    Thanks Vivek, of course that's correct.
    I use AF-C, no tracking, until it fails, typically a lens wide open as it's getting darker with the available light.
    Switching then to AF-S nails focus instantly it seems.

BTW E-M1,5.2 behave very similarly.
    With best regards, K-H.

Post Thanks / Like

See: favorite (not) bloghead doubles down on 85GM AF problems - FM Forums

As I was driving I saw this scene, and it was far away, there was a fence by the highway and I couldn't get close. The longest reaching lens I had was the 85mm f/1.4 GM with the A7R II, so I shot it as a image is better then no image:

my focus point was the house in the center. Yup look at this 100% crop, a obvious AF disaster.

the HepKitty
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post