The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

G Master lenses - 24-70mm f/2.8, 85mm f/1.4 & 70-200mm f/2.8

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Re: G Master lenses - 28-70mm f/2.8, 85mm f/1.4 & 70-200mm f/2.8

I'll be buying the 24-70. I'll rent the 70-200 for my runway stuff now. Having the Batis 85 not sure I will go for the 85 1.4 but maybe. Looks like I'll be selling my 24-70 and my 70-200 F4 lenses now.

Oh, and 1.4x and 2x Teleconverters – models SEL14TC and SEL20TC!

I'll be buying the 28-70. I'll rent the 70-200 for my runway stuff now. Having the Batis 85 not sure I will go for the 85 1.4 but maybe. Looks like I'll be selling my 24-70 and my 70-200 F4 lenses now.
Oops, there was a typo. It's a 24-70mm, not 28-70mm.

Guy Mancuso

For me it would be helpful as I can shoot faster F stops. Better said a 2.8 zoom will hit its peak at 5.6 a F4 zoom hits it at F8. Its not just speed overall its ability to get sharper images a stop faster. There big though so your going to pay a penalty somewhere. I do wish they hit us with a prime 135 though as that i would buy and rent the 70-200

sbay

B&H has the specs. For the 24-70 they are

Filter Thread Front: 82 mm
Dimensions (DxL) Approx. 3.45 x 5.35" (87.6 x 136 mm)
Weight 1.95 lb (886 g)

It's a monster!

The Ute

B&H has the specs. For the 24-70 they are

Filter Thread Front: 82 mm
Dimensions (DxL) Approx. 3.45 x 5.35" (87.6 x 136 mm)
Weight 1.95 lb (886 g)

It's a monster!
Yes. It is.
I thought the whole point of the FE line was to be smaller and lighter than DSLR's.
The way these weights and dimensions are creeping up there it seems to be at cross-purposes w the intended goal.
By the way, if you want a really good 24-70 at a fraction of the cost try the Tamron 24-70.
Even w the LA-EA3 adapter it is still going to be way cheaper and should be no heavier or larger.
If you have a Canon adapter you even get the benefit of in-lens stabilization.

Guy Mancuso

There addressing the Pro market. Welcome to 2.8 zooms, heavy, bulky and costly. No getting around it if you want to play in this market. Obviously going after Nikon and Canon too.

Frankly this is a great move on Sonys part buy it or not they are serious

ohnri

These lenses are about much more than just one stop greater speed.

Sony is making bold claims about insane resolution as well as outstanding bokeh.

They are also touting faster AF. That will be welcome with all the existing cameras.

To deliver on the resolution claims Sony will have to have beefed up their manufacturing processes and ability to deliver a consistently high quality lens.

I am very excited about all 3 lenses.

But, the new 6300 looks like an incredible camera as well.

Now, where is the full frame FE mount body that shoots a high frame rate with great AF and a big butt? I mean big buffer.

-Bill

V

Vivek

Oh, and 1.4x and 2x Teleconverters – models SEL14TC and SEL20TC!
:thumbs:

Pair the TCs + the fast zooms on the A6300 for even longer reach!

Exciting times! :thumbs:

sbay

There addressing the Pro market. Welcome to 2.8 zooms, heavy, bulky and costly. No getting around it if you want to play in this market. Obviously going after Nikon and Canon too.

Frankly this is a great move on Sonys part buy it or not they are serious
I agree. I'm very glad that they are addressing the lack of native 2.8 zooms even though I probably won't use them myself. It does help improve the viability of the whole ecosystem.

seb

I was waiting for a sony G 85/1.4 and also for a 24-70/2.8. The 70-200/2.8 will bring the price down for the 70-200/4, what was on my list too. But now the 2.8 has these converters... grrr.... Looks like a pricey year... again... :)

anyway, let's see how they perform, before I order one...

dmward

Better AF performance (and ability to manually focus) with more light through an f/2.8 lens.

Joe
For me, this is probably the most important capability, especially with the 24-70.

Annna T

They are clearly going after the Canikon users with that move. But then, if they are producing lenses that are slightly bigger and slightly heavier than their Canon counterpart, I don't get it !

Why not just keep the A-mount and design a mirrorless body for that mount ?

They had designed a wonderful small body with the A7 first version. They should have kept that logic and produced a set of light sharp lenses to make a small and light system with excellent lenses. Something like a digital M for travel and reportage photography. And have a second line of bigger bodies for those needing fast and heavy lenses. Was it not possible to make a mirrorless body in a shape like the A99 A900 ? I think that a mirrorless A99 would have been just as able as, or even better able than an A7r2 to hunt Canikon customers.

As is, they are going to face some technical challenges due to the size of the body (heat dissipation, ergonomics, not to speak of the short flange distance complicating things for lenses) and the day Canikon awake and produce mirrorless bodies in their usual camera shapes polished ergonomics, the Sony FF mirrorless may explode in their hands. Sony seems to abandon its A-mount, but that seems a bad move to me. The E-mount has both a too short flange and a too small diameter. That will uselessly complicate the design of lenses with zero advantages in return, since now their lenses are as big as those of Canikon.

Retrospectively I think that the introducing of the FF FE mount has not been well thought and they are developing their different camerasystem lines erratically.

I love my A7r and got accustomed to the bigger A7rII, but I'm not happy with the lenses coming out for that system. The A7r and r2 are little gems of cameras but I want lenses tailored for that.

Last edited:

dwood

The product development rate at Sony is pretty astounding. The engineers must not get too much sleep.

biglouis

None of these appeal.

What I want is some more wider angle lenses.

With the paucity of the 21 and 25 Zeiss lenses I'd take a 21 G 2.8 or even 4.0.

I can see these new lenses being useful for working pros (maybe) if f2.8 is an absolute must.

My 70-200/4 was such a dog that I sold it after two weeks so any improvement there would be good.

LouisB