The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

G Master lenses - 24-70mm f/2.8, 85mm f/1.4 & 70-200mm f/2.8

lambert

No you are wrong, at least when it comes to Canon :
EF 24-70mm F2.8 L USM II 805gr 89mm x 113mm
FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM 886gr 88mm x 136mm

And the 5Ds weight 930gr against 625gr for the A7r2

So we are pretty much back in DSLRs territory.
Not entirely fair comparison. 5Ds may compete with A7R2 on stills but not in terms of video, lacking 4k as well as IBIS.

Annna T

Yes there simply is no getting around physics here. It's full frame it's needs the same as any other full frame canon or Nikon.

Annna these are not meant for light weight small size. These are directly in Canons and Nikons face and making a huge statement for Pro use. This now gives Sony more power to sell and convert Pros and get them over to Sony. This announcement is involving far more than just lenses. This is a statement release. Sony needed to do this. Buy it or not that's okay we have other choices but these needed to come to market. There are a lot of Pros like me that been waiting to see what Sony does and they picked exactly that right 3 lenses to convert them over.
What I don't understand is why they make that move with the A7r. Why didn't they just put the A7r2 sensor in an A99 or A900 kind of body and add all the advantages of mirrorless to that ? That would make a perfect pro body and the lenses are already available.. And keep the A7 line for a light system. They were on something with the first A7 bodies and lens. I think it is a blunder to mix a pro heavy duty set of lenses with the A7 form factor, it is just not coherent.
Also are they leaving the owners of Sony DSLRs bodies go away ?

I can well see the needs of pros, it is just that I don't think they should/can be satisfied with an A7 kind of body. As is Sony is not developing the A7 system in the right direction; they are making a mess, blurring lines between their different lines of products. It doesn't make sense and isn't coherent. It is as if they were only planning things for the very short term, listening too much to what is heard on social network, where everyone wants the widest lenses, the fastest aperture etc..
You satisfy different needs with different product lines. The A7r started in one direction and is now heading elsewhere, while the A-mount seems forgotten.

Sony has wonderful sensors and remarkable technology, but they aren't implementing it in a coherent sets of products.

Last edited:

iiiNelson

Nice additions and I expected them. The 85 is the most interesting to me as it would likely pair perfectly with the 35/1.4 Distagon followed by the 70-200/2.8 +2.0 Extender. I'd likely pass on any 24-70 as I prefer primes in this range personally.

Im still waiting on a "pro" body A9 (hence why I haven't purchased a A7R2 yet) and Sony has right up until Fuji announces their rumored MF system to release it if it lives up to the hype. If so I'd probably just retain my full spectrum A7R unless Guji releases an IR version of their MF camera as well.

Annna T

Not entirely fair comparison. 5Ds may compete with A7R2 on stills but not in terms of video, lacking 4k as well as IBIS.
The Canon system is well stabilized, it is in the lenses, that need it. As for 4K I don't think it will add much weight to Canon bodies when they add it (their bodies are enough big to dissipate heat, unlike the smaller Sony bodies).

iiiNelson

What I don't understand is why they make that move with the A7r. Why didn't they just put the A7r2 sensor in an A99 or A900 kind of body and add all the advantages of mirrorless to that ? That would make a perfect pro body and the lenses are already available.. And keep the A7 line for a light system. They were on something with the first A7 bodies and lens. I think it is a blunder to mix a pro heavy duty set of lenses with the A7 form factor, it is just not coherent.

I can we'll see the needs of pro, it is just that I don't think they should/can be satisfied with an A7 kind of body. As is Sony is not developing the A7 system in the right direction; they are making a mess, blurring lines between their different lines of products. It doesn't make sense and isn't coherent. It is as if they were only planning things for the very short term, listening too much to what is heard on social network, where everyone wants the widest lenses, the fastest aperture etc..
You satisfy different needs with different product lines. The A7r started in one direction and is now heading elsewhere, while the A-mount seems forgotten.

Sony has wonderful sensors and remarkable technology, but they aren't implementing it well in a coherent line of products
I'll give Sony this (and for the same reason Leica generally pushes f/2 or faster lenses) few people are going to invest heavily in a system full of f/4 or slower lenses even if they're small. If DOF doesn't matter then there are plenty of cropped sensor bodies that will give small, light, and relatively fast while remaining compact.

If Sony produced a bunch of f/4 lenses without the fast stuff I'd still be shooting Leica M's and I suspect Guy (and many others) would still be shooting CaNikon...

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I'll give Sony this (and for the same reason Leica generally pushes f/2 or faster lenses) few people are going to invest heavily in a system full of f/4 or slower lenses even if they're small. If DOF doesn't matter then there are plenty of cropped sensor bodies that will give small, light, and relatively fast while remaining compact.

If Sony produced a bunch of f/4 lenses without the fast stuff I'd still be shooting Leica M's and I suspect Guy (and many others) would still be shooting CaNikon...
That is correct. Pros would not go to Sony so they HAVE to make lenses in 1.4 and 2.8 variety.

Now bodies. Annna you bring up a good point but again Im afraid its ONLY going to be FE lenses. A lenses are dead and gone from Sony's mindset. they gave us a new A6300 and I suspect next we will see a Full Frame FE mount Pro model next but my guess it won't be much bigger. They will add the A6300 af engine, 2 card slots and a bigger battery after that not much to add over the A7rII as really they are the only things really missing. Sure maybe some more small feature sets and maybe more custom buttons. But its not going to be a Canon Missile launcher . They lose there market if it gets too big

I can well see the needs of pros, it is just that I don't think they should/can be satisfied with an A7 kind of body. As is Sony is not developing the A7 system in the right direction; they are making a mess, blurring lines between their different lines of products. It doesn't make sense and isn't coherent. It is as if they were only planning things for the very short term, listening too much to what is heard on social network, where everyone wants the widest lenses, the fastest aperture etc..

Sony has wonderful sensors and remarkable technology, but they aren't implementing it in a coherent sets of products.
I do think they will release a big FE body to better accommodate these G master lenses. It's quite easy to go big than go small. Personally, I think they did the right thing by releasing these top dogs so they have to worry about them any more. 2.8 zooms are the bread and butter of many pros so that Sony system doesn't seem to be much of a compromise. For the small primes, I think Zeiss will take care of with their current Batis and Loxia. Cheap small primes and decent zooms are what Sony can focus on next. The A-mount is going nowhere so it doesn't make too much sense to develop anything for it.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member

The sad state of the A-mount cameras is one of the mysteries of the camera industry. It's almost as if Sony, in disappointment over not being able to dominate the DSLR market overnight, simply threw the cards on the ground and left the table. An upgraded version of the A99 (better viewfinder, better sensor, 4K video and correcting a few other quirks) could have been the ultimate do-it-all camera, the best of all worlds. To complete the picture, they could launch an A900 II with similar specs (wouldn't cost them much if they still have the tooling). Think about it; A7R II, A99 II and A900 II, all with the same sensor... it would have been an unbeatable combination.

But I suppose, being a rabbit in a rabbit world does make for some erratic behavior sometimes...

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
The sad state of the A-mount cameras is one of the mysteries of the camera industry. It's almost as if Sony, in disappointment over not being able to dominate the DSLR market overnight, simply threw the cards on the ground and left the table. An upgraded version of the A99 (better viewfinder, better sensor, 4K video and correcting a few other quirks) could have been the ultimate do-it-all camera, the best of all worlds. To complete the picture, they could launch an A900 II with similar specs (wouldn't cost them much if they still have the tooling). Think about it; A7R II, A99 II and A900 II, all with the same sensor... it would have been an unbeatable combination.

But I suppose, being a rabbit in a rabbit world does make for some erratic behavior sometimes...

Guess you never heard of Leica R. Say no more

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
"I accidentally enlarged your camera. Hope you don't mind" :ROTFL:

I always thought of the Nikkor as a monster, but apparently, it's only a toy for us amateurs :rolleyes:

lambert

The Canon system is well stabilized, it is in the lenses, that need it. As for 4K I don't think it will add much weight to Canon bodies when they add it (their bodies are enough big to dissipate heat, unlike the smaller Sony bodies).
Perhaps Canon's sensor/electronics tech is lagging but the 4k implementation in their just released behemoth 1DX2 does not impress, being cropped and deplying a grossly inefficient MPEG codec which means that 10 min of 4K video fills a 64gb card. It seems to me that adding 4k that works as well as Sony's is not a trivial exercise.

dmward

Here's my take;
A7RII is a nice small full frame hi-res camera body.
I have lenses available that are slower max aperture and smaller for when I have lots of light and want small and light.

I have a battery grip and faster wide aperture lenses for when I am searching for light and its still as reasonable size and weight.

With the DSLRs I used in the past it was only large and heavy.

These lenses offer an attractive addition to the kit.

ErikKaffehr

Hi,

I have A7rII and A99. A99 goes to EBay any day now. A mirrorless camera with a mirror, how much sense does that make?

Best regards
Erik

UHDR

what i found interesting is that in all promo video, they put the battery grip onto the a7rII bodies. i wonder if they are going for the pro look, or it's just for balance sake. :ROTFL:

fotografz

If ya wants fast ya pays for it ... in size and dollars. Apparently, Sony sees more gold in their own premium optics verses those done in conjunction with Zeiss.

The 24-70/28 is a "must" staple for wedding and event shooters (either that, or a 24-105/4). It'll be interesting to see if they got the distortion under control with the f/2.8 version compared to the f4.

The comparison between the ZA 24-70/2.8-II and this new FE 24-70/2.8 is interesting. Both are internal focusing, SSM, with 9 aperture blades. The ZA is an inch shorter and takes a 77MM filter verses the 82 of the FE. Yet, the ZA weighs 975g verses 886g. With the LAEA-3 the size of the ZA is about the same. The BIG question is image performance ... I know the ZA Zeiss designed optic is quite good with Zeiss characteristics that marry well with the Zeiss FE 55/1.8. Remains to be seen how this lens compares.

The new FE 85/1.4 is a welcome addition, and size is not the driving issue when seeking a fast portrait optic IMO (think Canon's 85/1.2 monster on a 5D). HOWEVER, the samples posted has me worried about the abrupt transition from in to out-of-focus: (zoom in and look at the in-focus transitions areas on this shot ... hmmmm?)

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/sony-a7r-ii/FULLRES/Y-A-85mm-0107.HTM

BTW, the best 85/14 I ever used was the Zeiss 85/1.4N for the Contax N cameras due to color rendition and absolutely superb transitions.

Oh, and I wouldn't eliminate the possibility of a A99 replacement ... Sony has continued updating the ZA lens line including the ZA 50/1.4 SSM and the very recent ZA 24-70/2.8-II make-over. The A99 is a more versatile and secure system for certain types of pro work, and a Mirrorless replacement sporting the newer sensor tech with a better viewfinder resolution than the A cameras while keeping the dual card, incredibly articulated LCD, better ergonomics, and longer lasting battery is not only possible, I predict it is probable in this coming year.

- Marc