The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

G Master lenses - 24-70mm f/2.8, 85mm f/1.4 & 70-200mm f/2.8

V

Vivek

K-H thanks but I think it is a waste of time (watching the youtube frm this guy) too much :talk028: with very little information.

k-hawinkler

Re: G Master lenses - 24-70mm f/2.8, 85mm f/1.4 & 70-200mm f/2.8

K-H thanks but I think it is a waste of time (watching the youtube frm this guy) too much :talk028: with very little information.
Thanks Vivek. Yup. Agreed.
However, I found the couple of seconds where he compared the bokehs worth suffering through the rest. :banghead:
YMMV.

- - - Updated - - -

However, I found the couple of seconds where he compared the bokehs worth suffering through the rest. :banghead:
YMMV.

iiiNelson

Of these three the 85/1.4 and the 70-200 + 2x extender interest me most. I really need to see more of the 85 before I give up my 85 Batis. So far I haven't seen anything from it that can't be done with the Batis but the test shots were probably jpeg without critical focusing.

fotografz

I would have liked to see similar portrait shots taken with the two lenses to see how each renders OOF and transitions in similar light.

Specular highlight bokeh can be deceiving and tricky to evaluate depending on circumstances.

I do not think it was a waste of time because it showed just how big the 85mm G lenses is in relationship to the Batis on the Sony A cameras, and he did deal with the smoother ergonomics of the Batis, which I've wondered about myself.

IMO, he should skip the "impartial" disclaimers since it is pretty hard to believe coming from someone designated a "Sony Artisan Of Imagery":rolleyes:

- Marc

Lucille

IMO, he should skip the "impartial" disclaimers since it is pretty hard to believe coming from someone designated a "Sony Artisan Of Imagery":rolleyes:

- Marc

Do you think that if any of these Artisans give the 85mm f/1.4 a bad review that Sony will cut them off?

ohnri

This summer, I am going on a nice family trip to Italy and France and I expect to take only the fine 16-35/4 FE and the 85/1.4 GM for lenses.

I'll also pack two bodies and with Sony's great sensors, Eye Detect AF, IBIS and 4K video I have no doubt I'll get plenty of stills and video that are either very difficult or just flat out impossible to obtain with any other system.

The 16-35FE is a no brainer and easily churns out beautiful wide-scapes that print silly big or can be shown off at a mighty 2 MP resolution on any computer or tablet. It was my main lens at the Super Bowl and it really came through for me.

The 85mm GM gives me one fast lens for the trip and it is going to be a through-the-roof portrait lens.

Seriously, if the 85 GM is not a big hunk of portrait love crafted from slow roasted unobtainium and seasoned with Rainbow Unicorn Poop I'll eat the plastic mount of my original A7.

-Bill

fotografz

Do you think that if any of these Artisans give the 85mm f/1.4 a bad review that Sony will cut them off?
Personally, I'm at least a bit skeptical about any individual who gets special dispensation from any of these companies. IMO, it is human nature to maintain one's status to keep in good graces. It isn't a matter of a bad review, but more a slanted one that seems to always favor the new gear ... which was predictable in this case the minute he delivered the disclaimer.

Obviously, I'm not alone in my skepticism or the fellow wouldn't feel compelled to try and persuade us otherwise in the first place.

- Marc

V

Vivek

I think, yes. They will chop something if they do not promote their goods.

You can see it in case of the 16-70 zony zoom. Nat Geo fame is used to peddle that.

V

Vivek

YMMV.

Those few seconds (never found them..unless you refer to the toy snaps) were lost in the midst of several minutes of monologue. Most guys (sony "artisans") on you tube do this. :thumbdown:

k-hawinkler

Those few seconds (never found them..unless you refer to the toy snaps) were lost in the midst of several minutes of monologue. Most guys (sony "artisans") on you tube do this. :thumbdown:
Well Vivek, sometimes one has to filter out a lot of crap and pick a few goodies and ignore the rest.
Of course, I prefer concise information, but not many folks seem to know how to produce just that.
I actually think it has been useful for me to follow the discussion after the link to the video in this thread:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3970165

In there is also the following link:

http://www.thephoblographer.com/2016/02/23/comparison-sony-g-master-85mm-f1-4-vs-zeiss-85mm-f1-8-batis/#.Vszv5_i76hS

That again links to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L86jqG4Riqc

So please be forewarned and ignore my post. YMMV.

fotografz

Based on those images, they seem technically okay, but aesthetically pretty boring ... especially the 85.

... over-all, they look pretty average to me. No signature character, or pop or whatever you may call it. Pretty uninspiring look IMO.

I'll wait for more evidence.

- Marc

uhoh7

How well these new lenses match up to the marketing remains to be seen, but I'm sure they'll be good.
Marc, I'd expect a good copy is going to be pretty good, though the first FE Zeiss 2470 did not meet expectations in general. The question is: can they make them consistently?

Back in 1950 Nikon made into the American market partly because in heavy duty tests sponsored by LIFE, copy variation was much less than Leica or Zeiss of the day, and they were sharper too.
Read about it:
https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1594/25608659285_5754ddd24d_k.jpg

So far the only FE mount lens for which I have not seen multiple complaints about QC is the 25/2.

So we will have to see if "G Master" is a marketing thing, or really means they are going to try harder to make them good and make them consistently. :)

But it's a good thing these fast zooms will be an option, that's for sure. Huge step forward for the system.