The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A 6300

frozenbb

Edit: Wait, where's the latest bsi tech? I was really hoping it would show up on their aps-c range.

ggibson

"Wow" indeed. /sarcasm

Most over-hyped release ever. $1000 for what amounts to an A6000 that adds 4K. Where's the 5-axis IBIS? BSI sensor? Touch screen?

Wake me up when Sony releases a real update to the A6000. :sleep:

DougDolde

It will be a cold day in hell before I buy anything other than a TV with the "SONY" name on it.

Rawfa

Mic input, 4k? I'm a video guy and I'm loving it. What I REALLY want to know is if it can use phase detect to af with a speed booster...or even with a regular canon adapter.

pegelli

Since I'm not into Video and usually prefer heritage MF lenses over AF (and even when I use AF my NEX6 is fast enough for me) the only reason to upgrade my A6000 to a A6300 would be a dramatic improvement in sensor performance. So time will tell if I'm going to get one.

On the other hand I'm glad there is a successor with some improvements that matter to other users, so the complaining (mostly on other fora then GetDPI) that Sony APS-C mirrorless is dead will hopefully stop for a couple of months.

Rawfa

Too bad Sony seems to have quit making glass for APS-C e-mount though. It would've been so cool to have seen an 18mm 2.0 OSS and a 60mm 2.8 macro OSS. And don't even get me started on fast zooms. At least give us an f2.8-f4!
I've read the a6300 DOES support PDAF with the LAEA3, but since it doesn't work on video it's not an ideal solution.

UHDR

Too bad Sony seems to have quit making glass for APS-C e-mount though...
funny you mentioned it. i did notice most of A6300 sample/promo videos are shot with FE lens. :ROTFL: i would have enough the 18-105mm F4 will be a more natural match.

ohnri

This camera looks seriously amazing to me and I will preorder immediately.

A great feature set for both stills and video.

4K video down sampled from 6K.
S-Log.
120 fps HD.
11 fps with no significant EVF blackout.
Very fast AF with coverage of essentially the whole frame.
Plays nice with my 70-400 G2 lens using the la-ea3 converter.

All for $1,000

It is the new value leader and I'm in.

-Bill

V

Vivek

Edit: Wait, where's the latest bsi tech? I was really hoping it would show up on their aps-c range.
That is supposed to, in 6 months time. I think this is just a camera with better AF. It is quite pricey in the EU. I wonder if many will sell here though. DSLRs with similar specs are way more affordable.

This will be interesting to watch. :)

Rawfa

Sony has a long tradition of introducing lower end cameras with new features before they introduce their A game. I bet tha after enough a6300 have been bought Sony will come up with something like an awesome replacement for the nex7 or someting like that.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Very sensible upgrade and a camera I may consider for video and a few other things. I didn't care much for the ergonomics of the predecessor, and I guess this is more or less the same, but it's a dirt cheap camera given its features. The competitors would obviously be the Panasonic G7 or GX8, but they are both a bit larger, even though they have a smaller sensor.

ohnri

That is supposed to, in 6 months time. I think this is just a camera with better AF. It is quite pricey in the EU. I wonder if many will sell here though. DSLRs with similar specs are way more affordable.

This will be interesting to watch. :)
Which DSLR has 4K video and can shoot 11 fps and is more affordable?

As far as I can tell, the only DSLR that has even remotely similar specs is the just announced titanic Canon flagship EOS 1DX II which runs 6 times as much.

The great Samsung NX1 can also shoot 4K and a remarkable 15 fps! But, it is even pricier than the Sony and has been orphaned by Samsung. Besides, it is not a DSLR either.

Frankly, I see nothing like the a6300 at any price point.

-Bill

mazor

Mic input, 4k? I'm a video guy and I'm loving it. What I REALLY want to know is if it can use phase detect to af with a speed booster...or even with a regular canon adapter.
Now thats a good question. Based on DP reviews initial release, the a6300 can use its myriad of pdaf on sensor points to do fast focus on A-mount lenses with an LA-E3 adapter (no built in pdaf). this theoretically means it is very possible the speed booster ultra ef-nex should be able to support fast PDAF AF as well, but may need a firmware update from Metabones.....

Rawfa

Now thats a good question. Based on DP reviews initial release, the a6300 can use its myriad of pdaf on sensor points to do fast focus on A-mount lenses with an LA-E3 adapter (no built in pdaf). this theoretically means it is very possible the speed booster ultra ef-nex should be able to support fast PDAF AF as well, but may need a firmware update from Metabones.....
That right there would make A LOT of people interested and it would turn in a bunch of money for the likes of metabones and other focal reducer companies.

bipbip

funny you mentioned it. i did notice most of A6300 sample/promo videos are shot with FE lens. :ROTFL: i would have enough the 18-105mm F4 will be a more natural match.
My a6000 with the 16-70 f4 is my idea of a go anywhere (well, almost anywhere) combo. Got many good street shots with it - had to spend an extra 10€ for the weather sealing, though. The guy said it was called "umbrella" ...

Yes, this is the killer upgrade that many have missed or ignored. The a6300 will essentially provide the same fast PDAF with adapted A-mount, Canon EF, Contax G and soon Leica M (with the upcoming TechArt adapter) that the a7RII does today.

V

Vivek

Disclaimer: Jim DE, you can skip anwering to this post. ;)

Does anyone know if the 14 bit RAW output is the usual lossy or lossless RAW?