The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A 6300

dmward

what do you expect to gain going aps-c?
If you already have an a7rII and lenses ... I would just go with A7II or A7SII
The APS-C sensor size along with the associated camera size.
I had an A7II and sold it. Since I started doing commercial photography my practice has been to have two bodies that are the same on a job. Back in film days it also meant two lens options. Now, with quality zooms I'm inclined to keep the second one handy as backup.

The A7RII and A7II were just enough different to be mildly frustrating on the job if I swapped back and forth. Or even as a backup. So I sold the A7II with the intent of buying another A7RII.

Then Sony threw a wrench in the works by announcing the A6300. It has some appealing capabilities, offers the smaller sensor/file size and works interchangeably with the lenses for the A7RII, including via the adapters I have.

The only additional lens will be one ASP-C zoom, for a compact base setup.

And as Vivek mentioned I'll be able to use the Nissin Di700a system interchangeably as well.

It really just boils down to should I buy one more A7RII or two A6300s to complete my kit for events. I'll always want the A7RII for architecture, art documentation and personal work. Which also suggests, that unless the A6300 has something that really stands out, I'd be happier with a second A7RII.

Eoin

If you found the small differences between A7RII & A7II mildly frustrating, I can't begin to imagine what the difference between the A6300 and A7RII would do to you :grin:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I had the a6000 as backup and secondary and it was really nice. I'm getting a A6300 soon I hope.

dmward

If you found the small differences between A7RII & A7II mildly frustrating, I can't begin to imagine what the difference between the A6300 and A7RII would do to you :grin:
That's why I'd have to get two A6300s. :)

Then use the A7RII in situations where I want the large files and deal with backup frustration. :)

Since I started using digital DSLRs with the 5D I've only had one camera failure on the job. That was when the mirror came off the frame on one of my 5D cameras. I finished the job with the other one. Then discovered that Canon had done a recall to fix the mirror problem about 3 months prior and I missed it.

And while shooting film the only time I had a camera problem was when a Hasselblad mirror box distorted in the cold and the mirror would stick half way up. So, two camera malfunctions in over 40 years and hundreds of thousands of exposures. But I still won't go on a job without a backup. Just call me risk adverse. :D

dmward

I just ran through the detailed spec sheets on the Sony site for the 6300 and the A7RII.
Its interesting to see how many of the specs are the same. Including the EVF resolution.

One thing that prompted me to look at the specs was to see what the size comparison is:

W H D
A7RII: 4.69 x 2.74 x 1.50 in 20.53 oz / 22.05 oz with battery and media

6300: 4.72 x 2.63 x 1.92 in 12.73 ox / 14.25 oz with battery and media

The dimensions surprise me. I expected the 6300 to be a little smaller.

For comparison here are two Fuji X system cameras;
X Pro 2 5.5 x 3.3 x 1.8 in 17.5 oz including battery and media
XT-1 5.0 x 3.5 x 1.8 in 15.7 oz including battery and media

bipbip

I am rather new to these 4/3rd cameras .. / .. or is it just better to use a SONY lens that is built for this system?
It's an APS-C although the small size is comparable to the Micro 4/3rds variety.

The only lenses I use with adapters on my a6000 are manual focus small M-mount lenses. If you want autofocus I'd use the Sony lenses made for it. There is a 20mm f2.8 pancake (30mm equivalent in 35mm terms); I have it and like it although there are many moaners out there that don't. It makes this camera a very pocketable kit. The Sony 35mm f1.8 on it is also excellent.

pegelli

Here's a piece by Brian Smith on the A6300

To me it reads a bit too much as a Sony press release, but to every blogger their own. However, maybe it's mentioned before but hadn't registered with me until today:
Brian Smith said:
Auto ISO with Minimum Shutter Speed
When working with ISO Auto settings, you can configure a minimum shutter speed setting to better ensure sharp imagery.
Not sure that for me it justifies the upgrade from an A6000, but it's certainly one of the new features I would appreciate a lot.

adamk

I read from another review that using full frame lenses on the a6000 will not be as sharp as using the same lens on a true full frame camera. Is there any validity to this?

pegelli

I read from another review that using full frame lenses on the a6000 will not be as sharp as using the same lens on a true full frame camera. Is there any validity to this?
I think in terms of lines/mm on the sensor the only difference will be caused by the strength (or absence) of the AA filter, not the lens.
However for the same output size the APS-C picture needs to be enlarged more then the FF picture, so there some resolution (sharpness) might be lost.
However using the forced APS-C crop on a FF camera will have the exact same effect.

EDIT: Is it you who asked the same question on DPR here? Since the question was a bit further explained my answer there is also a bit more detailed :salute:

Last edited:

dmward

To me it reads a bit too much as a Sony press release, but to every blogger their own. However, maybe it's mentioned before but hadn't registered with me until today:

Not sure that for me it justifies the upgrade from an A6000, but it's certainly one of the new features I would appreciate a lot.
I have found that capability useful when shooting events.

ggibson

Sort of. The A6000 has a greater number of pixels in it's sensor than any APS-C crop of a full frame sensor--the A7r crops to ~15MP and the A7rII to ~18MP. So the A6000 should be able to capture a higher resolution image from the same area of the lens compared to these two cameras, and the limits of the lens would be more apparent on the A6000 first.

You can see this in effect by looking at FE lenses perceptual MP measure on DXO. So for example, the 55/1.8 has a P-MP of 29MP out of a possible 36MP (theoretical) maximum on the A7r = 81%. But the 55/1.8 on the A6000 only resolves a P-MP of 15MP out of 24MP = 63%. So the A6000 appears more resolution-limited by the lens.

BUT, the A6000 should still out-resolve the A7r's APS-C mode using the same lens, since it has a higher MP count in the same area.

mazor

Agree, I use that feature on my E-M1 all the time. Have different presets depending on the scene.

Uaiomex

In my experience, the bigger a lens' cone of projection, the less sharp, all other things the same.
So it should be valid.
Eduardo

V

Vivek

I have noted several significant improvements* over the earlier models:

1. Much faster AF.

2. Much better high ISO.

3. More robust body.

4. Can be powered/used via USB.

5. Silent shutter.

The significant question that isn't answered by Sony or Sony promoting parrots on Youtube is the nature of RAW.
Is it lossless? It is an easy question to answer.

Fuji X Pro 2 specs explicitly announce this.

* I overlook the video specs. They are really :sleep: for me.