The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

APS-C lens on A7RII ??

dmward

I like your thinking, and have considered using APSc with a versatile zoom like you mentioned.

Question: doesn't the camera sense when an APSc lens is mounted and automatically shoot crop frame?
Marc,
I found a 16-70 and an 18-105 used at B&H. They are on the way for testing.
My inclination is toward the 18-105 since its a wider zoom range. The 16-70 is probably the better lens optically and construction.

I'll test them, to ensure auto switching works and also to see how they perform with AF, etc.

dmward

After some testing with the APS-C lenses and more thinking I've come to realize its counter productive to think about getting smaller file size via APS-C.

If I use the APS-C lens on an A7RII, the pixel count is just a bit less then the 24mp that the A7II or A6300/A6000.

I could use the APC-S on an A7II and get smaller. But, I'd prefer to continue shooting it FF and living with the 24mp files.

So, after this diversion, it looks like the lenses will be going back and I'll keep doing what I've been doing.