Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Would you buy a GM lens?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Would you buy a GM lens?

Ordered the 85 GM 1.4..Probably sell the Batis 85.. :-)
    http://www.stevemarkphoto.com/
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by shtarka1 View Post
    Ordered the 85 GM 1.4..Probably sell the Batis 85.. :-)
    I have ordered the 85mm F1.4 and the 24-70mm F2.8. I was never very happy with the Zeiss 24-70mm F4 which is medicre at best and if the 85mm F1.4 lives up to its billng it could be the finest portait lens ever made. To an extent, I am placing my trust in Sony that these lenses will be as good as billed. If they are, then my decision to buy on spec will be vindicated.
    Quentin Bargate
    Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2017, ”leading individual”, Chambers HNW guide, 2017, Photographer
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I ordered the 85 but I am seriously considering the 24-70 also
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Quentin_Bargate View Post
    I have ordered the 85mm F1.4 and the 24-70mm F2.8. I was never very happy with the Zeiss 24-70mm F4 which is medicre at best and if the 85mm F1.4 lives up to its billng it could be the finest portait lens ever made. To an extent, I am placing my trust in Sony that these lenses will be as good as billed. If they are, then my decision to buy on spec will be vindicated.
    Quentin, thanks. That's a pretty bold statement - especially coming from a lawyer!
    I hope you are right!
    But I will keep my Summilux-R 80/1.4 anyway, if for nothing else as a reference portrait lens.
    I will be looking forward to your positive experiences and those of others before I get in line to order one.
    With best regards, K-H.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by k-hawinkler View Post
    Quentin, thanks. That's a pretty bold statement - especially coming from a lawyer!
    I hope you are right!
    But I will keep my Summilux-R 80/1.4 anyway, if for nothing else as a reference portrait lens.
    I will be looking forward to your positive experiences and those of others before I get in line to order one.
    I wonder how long I will have to wait for them to arrive?

For years, I think we photographers have been sold mediocre lens dross much of the time. If Sony have upped resolution, got rid of onion ring bokeh, and reduced CA and all at reasonable prices, I think we will be entitled to say "about time" and "why has it taken so long?" If Zeiss suffer as a result, tough. They should have done better. Why have we had to put up with soft corners, bad CA, moderate sharpness, and other defects if Sony (we hope) can do better for a 50 percent price hike? Answer: we had little choice.

Until now.
    Quentin Bargate
    Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2017, ”leading individual”, Chambers HNW guide, 2017, Photographer
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Quentin_Bargate View Post
    I wonder how long I will have to wait for them to arrive?

For years, I think we photographers have been sold mediocre lens dross much of the time. If Sony have upped resolution, got rid of onion ring bokeh, and reduced CA and all at reasonable prices, I think we will be entitled to say "about time" and "why has it taken so long?" If Zeiss suffer as a result, tough. They should have done better. Why have we had to put up with soft corners, bad CA, moderate sharpness, and other defects if Sony (we hope) can do better for a 50 percent price hike? Answer: we had little choice.

Until now.

Thanks Quentin, I agree. Hopefully Sony can produce the FE 85/1.4 GM lenses in sufficient numbers to meet demand and without noticeable copy variation issues.

Nevertheless, the industry as a whole has made major advances in the last decade or two. Yesterday, while going through some stuff, I came across my old 4 MP Canon PowerShot G3 from 2002, together with 3 batteries and a charger. One battery was dead, the other two still hold enough charge so that one can meaningfully operate the camera. The camera itself is in perfect working order, including shutter, flash, zoom in and out, and USB downloads of its jpg images. Apparently, I used the G3 last in the summer of 2009, concluding from the dates of old images on the memory card. No data corruption or loss of the images on the 4GB SanDisk Extreme IV CompactFlash card inside the G3

I took a few shots with flash. No problems. There seem to be a handful of dead or stuck pixels on the sensor that could be easily corrected in post.

What I noticed, autofocus extremely slooooow.
    The articulating LCD screen is pretty small but seems sufficient for framing.
    The LiveView image on the LCD screen is through the lens (TTL).
    The tiny builtin EVF is non-TTL as the protruding lens partially blocks the view.
    Just like my rangefinder Leica M9.

Experience similar to a time mschine!

So, we have come a long way baby over the last decade and a half.
    It seems my Sony A7r2 with appropriate lenses should serve me for years to come as it delivers amazing IQ. But, no doubt, we will see even more advanced gear in short order that many of us won't be able to resist, myself included.
    Last edited by k-hawinkler; 13th February 2016 at 16:00.
    With best regards, K-H.
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

When Sony first announced the GM set of lenses I was eagerly ready to pre order at least the 85 and the 24-70 and was pretty sure the 70-200 would be on my wish list.

Cancelled my long "patiently awaiting" pre order for the Batis 85 in anticipation (Last time I checked Batis 85 was still not available on B&H). I'm currently using my old SAL 24-70 2.8 and a Sigma 85 1.4 with a Sony "3" adapter on my A7RII. They are both good performers with adequate autofocus behavior. However, as Guy so frequently says, it would be very nice to give up the adapter and to get the latest Sony lens advances -- which continue to be quite impressive.

Then came the financial impact of the recent market downturn on our retirement budget. I'll be settling for replacing my A6000 with an A6300 for my lightweight kit and watching the results and discussions of the GM series on sites like this unless the market makes some most unlikely huge turnaround. The GM lenses do look like they will introduce a lot of performance if the reality holds up to the specs. The Sony 35 1.4 and the 90 2.8 macro lenses are certainly a pleasure to use.

Life goes on, eh?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I seriously struggled with this one, since I own the excellent Batis - which to me is an ideal balance of size and performance for mirrorless.

In the end, I ordered the 85mm for one primary reason. My most used lens for festival concert shooting is the ZA 135/1.8; a lens that deserves its accolades. With the Batis I would often crop to 135 with comparable results but having the extra half stop of the f/1.4 GM gets you ever closer to a 135/1.8 equivalent. With all the resolution of the a7RII, I can effectively get a fast 85/1.4 natively and a 127/2.1 in crop mode. Two birds with one stone...

The GM is essentially the size and weight (a bit lighter) than the ZA 135/1.8 and I had no complaints carrying that lens around on my a900 - will be even lighter on the a7RII

Secondary reasons include the quality of the bokeh, specifically at the edges where the Batis produces footballs, and the faster aperture - always a benefit for my type of low light shooting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Show Performance View Post
    I seriously struggled with this one, since I own the excellent Batis - which to me is an ideal balance of size and performance for mirrorless.

In the end, I ordered the 85mm for one primary reason. My most used lens for festival concert shooting is the ZA 135/1.8; a lens that deserves its accolades. With the Batis I would often crop to 135 with comparable results but having the extra half stop of the f/1.4 GM gets you ever closer to a 135/1.8 equivalent. With all the resolution of the a7RII, I can effectively get a fast 85/1.4 natively and a 127/2.1 in crop mode. Two birds with one stone...

The GM is essentially the size and weight (a bit lighter) than the ZA 135/1.8 and I had no complaints carrying that lens around on my a900 - will be even lighter on the a7RII

Secondary reasons include the quality of the bokeh, specifically at the edges where the Batis produces footballs, and the faster aperture - always a benefit for my type of low light shooting.
    Better than that. You get 1,4 also in crop modes, as you are not using a teleconverter...(depth of field only will increase)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Looking at the rendering from the Batis and 85GM, I think I prefer the warmth of the Batis.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Post Thanks / Like

When these lenses were introduced I had to consider how I shoot.
    I had purchased the Batis lenses and enjoyed their quality.
    However, when I went into the metadata filter function in Lightroom I discovered that I rarely used them.

It turns out I've become a "Zoomer". Most of my shooting is done with zooms.

I know the 24-70 F2.8 will be my go to lens for events and general shooting indoors in lower light.

The 85mm, if I were to fall for it, would end up like the Batis lenses, in the bag hoping for use.

The 70-200 is appealing but now Sigma has introduced the EF to E adapter for their lenses, especially the 120-300 F2.8 sport. That may be a better option for me.

End of the day, the Batis lenses are sold and I'm waiting for the 24-70 F2.8 Gm.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dmward View Post
    It turns out I've become a "Zoomer".
    I'm the exact opposite, and I love shooting portraits. As I said several times in the past, I skipped the batis, to wait for a native 85/1.4. The GM looks great in terms of quality and performance, so I ordered one.

The zooms, I would use them too rarely to legitimate the purchase.
    Last edited by seb; 24th February 2016 at 07:46.
    Flickr

Post Thanks / Like

I would consider the GM lenses, yes, but I will be waiting to see how prices settle, not to mention their quality control. Buying other Sony/Zony FE optics has proven very frustrating with multiple decentered copies.

The 85mm 1.4 interests me, as it looks like a beautiful (but large) portrait lens.
    The 24-70 f2.8 might be of interest, but only if Sony produces a larger pro-spec type body.
    The 70-200 f2.8 is of no interest to me now, as I own the slower F4 which is perfect for travel. I would only consider the f2.8 if Sony produces a body that will replace my DSLR system fully.

Well done to Sony for releasing these lenses and for considering rounded pictorial performance, rather than just gunning for biting contrast and loads'a resolution. We make photos, not reproduce test charts.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by seb View Post
    I'm the exact opposite, and I love shooting portraits. As I said several times in the past, I skipped the batis, to wait for a native 85/1.4. The GM looks great in terms of quality and performance, so I ordered one.

The zooms, I would use them too rarely to legitimate the purchase.
    When I shot film, and when zooms didn't even exist, I loved the Nikkor 105 F4 for portraits. Also the Hasselblad 150mm with a short extension tube.

I also had a Leica M4 with a 90mm F2.8 which, for me, was just a little too short.

In my view 85mm is right at the bottom edge of acceptable for portraits. I prefer something around 100mm. When I was shooting Canon my default lens was the 24-105 F4 IS. I had a nice sharp copy. In fact I still have it but its a bit slow focusing with the Metabones IV.

Most headshot sessions have been with the 70-200 on full frame. Its a big lens, even the F4 version. Which is why I may pass on the Gm version. Especially now that Sigma has announced the MC11 for its EF mount lenses. That makes the 120-300 F2.8 an attractive option. I had the Canon version and loved it. Sharp and contrasty. Its big, but that's the price one pays for fast. I still have the teleconverters that went with it.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I shoot portraits in crop mode with my Batis 85. But I agree a 135mm native lens is really on my top list of lenses i would like to see. Now if this was a GM 135 F2 I would be all over it and keep my Batis 85. But I will get the GM 85 and just add a Canon 135 again since now i have a MB IV back in my hands
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com