The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Would you buy a GM lens?

V

Vivek

Why?

I am likely to buy the 85/1.4 for portraits.

Disclaimer: Those who want this or that from from Sony like brand X or Y, you can skip this thread. Go have fun with Leica (great UI, few buttons with lots and lots of menu diving :LOL:) or Nikon (Perfect gear there is. Spend your money and be grateful! If there is a problem then it is always with the user! :lecture: ), etc...

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
As much as I love my Batis 85 and it really is a great lens both in speed, IQ, size and weight I'm going to get the 85 1.4. From the specs it looks to be better and I love the feature set with aperture ring like my 35 1.4 FE.

The 24-70 2.8 yea I could use the speed and again on paper it looks like maybe the best mid -zoom on the market if the specs match reality it maybe just hard to pass in. I have the F4 version and it's okay but mostly use it for PR work but if this 24-70 is killer good than I may have to get it in place of some primes in this 24-70 focal length. This one I may rent first to see how good it is.

70-200 2.8 I won't buy it because I don't usually buy this focal length but I do certainly rent it and this looks killer good for me and some of the runway stuff I do.

End of day now having bought the Loxia 21 it switched things around for me so I'm looking at fitting these in over some other things but I will get the 85 first and maybe real soon too.

Guy Mancuso

I'll probably get the 24-70mm GM lens.

On the tele end of things, I'm holding out for a 135mm (please Sony, soon!)
Im With you on the 135. I had the canon 135 and metabones and wish now I did not sell it in a way.

Mike I honestly do not think Sonys done making announcement. With a show coming up there maybe something else. I would even settle for hey we are going to make one hold on.

Barry Haines

Why?

I am likely to buy the 85/1.4 for portraits.

Disclaimer: Those who want this or that from from Sony like brand X or Y, you can skip this thread. Go have fun with Leica (great UI, few buttons with lots and lots of menu diving :LOL:) or Nikon (Perfect gear there is. Spend your money and be grateful! If there is a problem then it is always with the user! :lecture: ), etc...
Nice one Vivek :D
To answer your question...most certainly but only if all the reviews turn out to be as good as what they are preaching!

Current game plan for a finalised outfit :) ...

CV10mm (E moint)
CV15mm (E moint)
21mm Loxia
28mm Loxia if it ever surfaces
35mm FE F1.4 Distagon...(Switch to a GM 35mm F1.4 version later when it eventually comes out)
55mm FE F1.8 Sonnar...(+ add or replace with a GM 50/55mm F1.4 version later when it eventually comes out, which I feel reasonably confident now that it will)
90mm FE G Macro keep...(+ add a GM 85mm F1.4 for portrait and low light work)....These 2 lenses serve 2 completely different purposes for me, I wouldn't take them both out at the same time.
135mm F2 GM when it comes out hopefully soon.

Not fussed about zoom GM's but like others here I hope the A7R series bodies remain small and light in the future rather than too big and heavy, I really don't want to return back to DSLR territory in the bodies but unavoidable I feel if you want fast prime lenses with great bokeh...Happy with AF GM lenses 35mm and upwards + Happy enough with light small Zeiss and Voigtlander MF lenses below that...Cheers Barry

frozenbb

Nice one Vivek :D
CV10mm (E moint)
CV15mm (E moint)
21mm Loxia

Any word on when those Cosina lenses will start to ship? I'm waiting for the e-mount versions as well. 10mm is too wide for me, but I can think of a few situations where such extremes might be fun!

As for the Loxia 21, I've got multiple preorders in, but I have my doubts I'll receive the lens anytime soon.

gazwas

Just this second pushed the "buy now" button on an A7R II having deliberated jumping from my much loved Canon 1Ds3 for months. These new lenses look great but as I manual focus more than auto, my worry is will the focus by wire feel terrible?

The 85mm looks on paper to be excellent as does the 24-70mm but I need to see something better than the currently posted image samples to convince me to ditch my Canon lenses. Anyone seen any good online examples or better still RAW files of what these lenses can do yet?

4season

24-70, definite maybe because that one lens could handle the majority of my shooting.

Barry Haines

Any word on when those Cosina lenses will start to ship? I'm waiting for the e-mount versions as well. 10mm is too wide for me, but I can think of a few situations where such extremes might be fun!

As for the Loxia 21, I've got multiple preorders in, but I have my doubts I'll receive the lens anytime soon.
OT.
Hi Tom, I still have absolutely no idea Re: Those E mount CV's! Ideally I would like to get hold of the 15mm (E) ASAP - Spring time is all I know, it seems like months ago since that announcement, lets hope they turn up soon hey :)
Agree CV10mm will be fun but to be honest I think it's just to wide for my regular use.
Re: 21mm Loxia - I hear reports over on FM of them turning up now and Guy is getting his soon it seems, so you shouldn't hopefully have much longer now to wait...Cheers Barry

Jim DE

Vivek, This is sort of a open ended question... one we just don't know how good or bad this series of glass may be until it is put into paying customer hands. Would I buy one? If it was great and I needed it then sure I'd buy one..... Am I going to buy one? I don't think so as I just don't have a need for any of those 3 lens offerings. I have one lens in the 24-70 zoom range for A mount and it collects dust covering the sensor on a old A33 on a stoboframe that might get use once or twice per year. I have 2 lenses in the 70-200 range in A mount and I can't remember the last time either has come out of there case's. The 85? I have the 90 and am very happy with it so no sense buying the 85mm GM.

Guy Mancuso

OT.
Hi Tom, I still have absolutely no idea Re: Those E mount CV's! Ideally I would like to get hold of the 15mm (E) ASAP - Spring time is all I know, it seems like months ago since that announcement, lets hope they turn up soon hey :)
Agree CV10mm will be fun but to be honest I think it's just to wide for my regular use.
Re: 21mm Loxia - I hear reports over on FM of them turning up now and Guy is getting his soon it seems, so you shouldn't hopefully have much longer now to wait...Cheers Barry
I'll have my Loxia 21 on Tuesday planning on day trip on Wednesday with Jack and Bob so we might go up to my favorite junk yard and have some fun.

Zony user

I have a weight limit on my bag and I am currently weighing (no pun intended) my options.

GM 85 --- 820 grams
FE 55 + Batis 85 --- 756 grams

Hmm....

k-hawinkler

Thanks Vivek. As I stated before, interested and waiting for solid reviews.
Insight into internal lens construction details would also be helpful. :grin:
I seem to have accumulated quite a few 80, 85, and 90 mm FF lenses already.
Aside the FE 90/2.8 G they need to use an adapter and are manual focus only.
So, like you I am most interested in the FE 85/1.4 GM lens.

However, I don't mind waiting for the reviews.
I will be preoccupied with the new Olympus 300/4 PRO MFT lens.
Hopefully it will arrive later this month or in early March. :grin:
Anyway before the Hummingbirds and Turkey Vultures return in April.
Unfortunately, the lens may be too late for this season's Sandhill Crane migration.
It already started and should be over by mid March at my location.

Barry Haines

Yea there Nikon boys wait till they see how small this is. Lol
First of all my apologies Vivek for temporarily straying off of your thread topic...Please forgive me :)

Another size comparison shot I just snapped off with the 90mm Macro.
The Loxia 21mm is in the middle, the other 4 lenses you own or are familiar with Guy.
It’s pretty small...I have tried to keep them in line with each other.

Guy Mancuso

I will have 3 small lenses in my bag so going with maybe one or two heavy ones will keep the bag much better balanced with weight and bulk.

So VC15 , Loxia 21 , Sony 28 comes Wednesday

Than the 35 1.4 and the new 85 1.4 will replace my Batis 85 but again I don't have to hurry either since I'm well covered. I have the 24- 70 f4 currently.

Obviously for me it's all about quality of the new GMs if they will switch that things out and of course money. I don't mind paying the freight but just need to find the cash. Lol

Barry Haines

I will have 3 small lenses in my bag so going with maybe one or two heavy ones will keep the bag much better balanced with weight and bulk.

So VC15 , Loxia 21 , Sony 28 comes Wednesday

Than the 35 1.4 and the new 85 1.4 will replace my Batis 85 but again I don't have to hurry either since I'm well covered. I have the 24- 70 f4 currently.

Obviously for me it's all about quality of the new GMs if they will switch that things out and of course money. I don't mind paying the freight but just need to find the cash. Lol
Oh dear that's a pity :facesmack:.................................a lot of us were hoping you would go first with a review of the 85mm GM or a comparison with the 85mm Batis :grin: