The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Would you buy a GM lens?

dmward

When these lenses were introduced I had to consider how I shoot.
I had purchased the Batis lenses and enjoyed their quality.
However, when I went into the metadata filter function in Lightroom I discovered that I rarely used them.

It turns out I've become a "Zoomer". Most of my shooting is done with zooms.

I know the 24-70 F2.8 will be my go to lens for events and general shooting indoors in lower light.

The 85mm, if I were to fall for it, would end up like the Batis lenses, in the bag hoping for use.

The 70-200 is appealing but now Sigma has introduced the EF to E adapter for their lenses, especially the 120-300 F2.8 sport. That may be a better option for me.

End of the day, the Batis lenses are sold and I'm waiting for the 24-70 F2.8 Gm.

seb

It turns out I've become a "Zoomer".
I'm the exact opposite, and I love shooting portraits. As I said several times in the past, I skipped the batis, to wait for a native 85/1.4. The GM looks great in terms of quality and performance, so I ordered one.

The zooms, I would use them too rarely to legitimate the purchase.

Last edited:

turtle

I would consider the GM lenses, yes, but I will be waiting to see how prices settle, not to mention their quality control. Buying other Sony/Zony FE optics has proven very frustrating with multiple decentered copies.

The 85mm 1.4 interests me, as it looks like a beautiful (but large) portrait lens.
The 24-70 f2.8 might be of interest, but only if Sony produces a larger pro-spec type body.
The 70-200 f2.8 is of no interest to me now, as I own the slower F4 which is perfect for travel. I would only consider the f2.8 if Sony produces a body that will replace my DSLR system fully.

Well done to Sony for releasing these lenses and for considering rounded pictorial performance, rather than just gunning for biting contrast and loads'a resolution. We make photos, not reproduce test charts.

dmward

I'm the exact opposite, and I love shooting portraits. As I said several times in the past, I skipped the batis, to wait for a native 85/1.4. The GM looks great in terms of quality and performance, so I ordered one.

The zooms, I would use them too rarely to legitimate the purchase.
When I shot film, and when zooms didn't even exist, I loved the Nikkor 105 F4 for portraits. Also the Hasselblad 150mm with a short extension tube.

I also had a Leica M4 with a 90mm F2.8 which, for me, was just a little too short.

In my view 85mm is right at the bottom edge of acceptable for portraits. I prefer something around 100mm. When I was shooting Canon my default lens was the 24-105 F4 IS. I had a nice sharp copy. In fact I still have it but its a bit slow focusing with the Metabones IV.

Most headshot sessions have been with the 70-200 on full frame. Its a big lens, even the F4 version. Which is why I may pass on the Gm version. Especially now that Sigma has announced the MC11 for its EF mount lenses. That makes the 120-300 F2.8 an attractive option. I had the Canon version and loved it. Sharp and contrasty. Its big, but that's the price one pays for fast. I still have the teleconverters that went with it.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I shoot portraits in crop mode with my Batis 85. But I agree a 135mm native lens is really on my top list of lenses i would like to see. Now if this was a GM 135 F2 I would be all over it and keep my Batis 85. But I will get the GM 85 and just add a Canon 135 again since now i have a MB IV back in my hands