Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Would you buy a GM lens?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Would you buy a GM lens?

Why?

I am likely to buy the 85/1.4 for portraits.

Disclaimer: Those who want this or that from from Sony like brand X or Y, you can skip this thread. Go have fun with Leica (great UI, few buttons with lots and lots of menu diving ) or Nikon (Perfect gear there is. Spend your money and be grateful! If there is a problem then it is always with the user! ), etc...
    Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Would you buy a GM lens?

I'll probably get the 24-70mm GM lens.

On the tele end of things, I'm holding out for a 135mm (please Sony, soon!)
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

As much as I love my Batis 85 and it really is a great lens both in speed, IQ, size and weight I'm going to get the 85 1.4. From the specs it looks to be better and I love the feature set with aperture ring like my 35 1.4 FE.

The 24-70 2.8 yea I could use the speed and again on paper it looks like maybe the best mid -zoom on the market if the specs match reality it maybe just hard to pass in. I have the F4 version and it's okay but mostly use it for PR work but if this 24-70 is killer good than I may have to get it in place of some primes in this 24-70 focal length. This one I may rent first to see how good it is.

70-200 2.8 I won't buy it because I don't usually buy this focal length but I do certainly rent it and this looks killer good for me and some of the runway stuff I do.

End of day now having bought the Loxia 21 it switched things around for me so I'm looking at fitting these in over some other things but I will get the 85 first and maybe real soon too.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEvangelist View Post
    I'll probably get the 24-70mm GM lens.

On the tele end of things, I'm holding out for a 135mm (please Sony, soon!)
    Im With you on the 135. I had the canon 135 and metabones and wish now I did not sell it in a way.

Mike I honestly do not think Sonys done making announcement. With a show coming up there maybe something else. I would even settle for hey we are going to make one hold on.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like

Not unless I hit Lotto.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Why?

Disclaimer: Those who want this or that from from Sony like brand X or Y, you can skip this thread. Go have fun with Leica (great UI, few buttons with lots and lots of menu diving ) or Nikon (Perfect gear there is. Spend your money and be grateful! If there is a problem then it is always with the user! ), etc...
    Nice one Vivek
    To answer your question...most certainly but only if all the reviews turn out to be as good as what they are preaching!

Current game plan for a finalised outfit ...

CV10mm (E moint)
    CV15mm (E moint)
    21mm Loxia
    28mm Loxia if it ever surfaces
    35mm FE F1.4 Distagon...(Switch to a GM 35mm F1.4 version later when it eventually comes out)
    55mm FE F1.8 Sonnar...(+ add or replace with a GM 50/55mm F1.4 version later when it eventually comes out, which I feel reasonably confident now that it will)
    90mm FE G Macro keep...(+ add a GM 85mm F1.4 for portrait and low light work)....These 2 lenses serve 2 completely different purposes for me, I wouldn't take them both out at the same time.
    135mm F2 GM when it comes out hopefully soon.

Not fussed about zoom GM's but like others here I hope the A7R series bodies remain small and light in the future rather than too big and heavy, I really don't want to return back to DSLR territory in the bodies but unavoidable I feel if you want fast prime lenses with great bokeh...Happy with AF GM lenses 35mm and upwards + Happy enough with light small Zeiss and Voigtlander MF lenses below that...Cheers Barry
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Haines View Post
    Nice one Vivek
    CV10mm (E moint)
    CV15mm (E moint)
    21mm Loxia

Any word on when those Cosina lenses will start to ship? I'm waiting for the e-mount versions as well. 10mm is too wide for me, but I can think of a few situations where such extremes might be fun!

As for the Loxia 21, I've got multiple preorders in, but I have my doubts I'll receive the lens anytime soon.
    Tom
    Flickr Photostream

Post Thanks / Like

Just this second pushed the "buy now" button on an A7R II having deliberated jumping from my much loved Canon 1Ds3 for months. These new lenses look great but as I manual focus more than auto, my worry is will the focus by wire feel terrible?

The 85mm looks on paper to be excellent as does the 24-70mm but I need to see something better than the currently posted image samples to convince me to ditch my Canon lenses. Anyone seen any good online examples or better still RAW files of what these lenses can do yet?
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

24-70, definite maybe because that one lens could handle the majority of my shooting.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by frozenbb View Post
    Any word on when those Cosina lenses will start to ship? I'm waiting for the e-mount versions as well. 10mm is too wide for me, but I can think of a few situations where such extremes might be fun!

As for the Loxia 21, I've got multiple preorders in, but I have my doubts I'll receive the lens anytime soon.
    OT.
    Hi Tom, I still have absolutely no idea Re: Those E mount CV's! Ideally I would like to get hold of the 15mm (E) ASAP - Spring time is all I know, it seems like months ago since that announcement, lets hope they turn up soon hey
    Agree CV10mm will be fun but to be honest I think it's just to wide for my regular use.
    Re: 21mm Loxia - I hear reports over on FM of them turning up now and Guy is getting his soon it seems, so you shouldn't hopefully have much longer now to wait...Cheers Barry

Post Thanks / Like

Vivek, This is sort of a open ended question... one we just don't know how good or bad this series of glass may be until it is put into paying customer hands. Would I buy one? If it was great and I needed it then sure I'd buy one..... Am I going to buy one? I don't think so as I just don't have a need for any of those 3 lens offerings. I have one lens in the 24-70 zoom range for A mount and it collects dust covering the sensor on a old A33 on a stoboframe that might get use once or twice per year. I have 2 lenses in the 70-200 range in A mount and I can't remember the last time either has come out of there case's. The 85? I have the 90 and am very happy with it so no sense buying the 85mm GM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Haines View Post
    OT.
    Hi Tom, I still have absolutely no idea Re: Those E mount CV's! Ideally I would like to get hold of the 15mm (E) ASAP - Spring time is all I know, it seems like months ago since that announcement, lets hope they turn up soon hey
    Agree CV10mm will be fun but to be honest I think it's just to wide for my regular use.
    Re: 21mm Loxia - I hear reports over on FM of them turning up now and Guy is getting his soon it seems, so you shouldn't hopefully have much longer now to wait...Cheers Barry
    I'll have my Loxia 21 on Tuesday planning on day trip on Wednesday with Jack and Bob so we might go up to my favorite junk yard and have some fun.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    I'll have my Loxia 21 on Tuesday planning on day trip on Wednesday with Jack and Bob so we might go up to my favorite junk yard and have some fun.
    Guy, that's great news...Enjoy your new lens
    Try not to make them to envious

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yea there Nikon boys wait till they see how small this is. Lol

Post Thanks / Like

I have a weight limit on my bag and I am currently weighing (no pun intended) my options.

GM 85 --- 820 grams
    FE 55 + Batis 85 --- 756 grams

Hmm....

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Vivek. As I stated before, interested and waiting for solid reviews.
    Insight into internal lens construction details would also be helpful.
    I seem to have accumulated quite a few 80, 85, and 90 mm FF lenses already.
    Aside the FE 90/2.8 G they need to use an adapter and are manual focus only.
    So, like you I am most interested in the FE 85/1.4 GM lens.

However, I don't mind waiting for the reviews.
    I will be preoccupied with the new Olympus 300/4 PRO MFT lens.
    Hopefully it will arrive later this month or in early March.
    Anyway before the Hummingbirds and Turkey Vultures return in April.
    Unfortunately, the lens may be too late for this season's Sandhill Crane migration.
    It already started and should be over by mid March at my location.
    With best regards, K-H.

Post Thanks / Like

Angry Re: Would you buy a GM lens?

Been told mine could be April
    David
    Auckland, NZ.

Post Thanks / Like

Yea there Nikon boys wait till they see how small this is. Lol
    First of all my apologies Vivek for temporarily straying off of your thread topic...Please forgive me

Another size comparison shot I just snapped off with the 90mm Macro.
    The Loxia 21mm is in the middle, the other 4 lenses you own or are familiar with Guy.
    It’s pretty small...I have tried to keep them in line with each other.

Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I will have 3 small lenses in my bag so going with maybe one or two heavy ones will keep the bag much better balanced with weight and bulk.

So VC15 , Loxia 21 , Sony 28 comes Wednesday

Than the 35 1.4 and the new 85 1.4 will replace my Batis 85 but again I don't have to hurry either since I'm well covered. I have the 24- 70 f4 currently.

Obviously for me it's all about quality of the new GMs if they will switch that things out and of course money. I don't mind paying the freight but just need to find the cash. Lol

Post Thanks / Like

I will have 3 small lenses in my bag so going with maybe one or two heavy ones will keep the bag much better balanced with weight and bulk.

Than the 35 1.4 and the new 85 1.4 will replace my Batis 85 but again I don't have to hurry either since I'm well covered. I have the 24- 70 f4 currently.

Obviously for me it's all about quality of the new GMs if they will switch that things out and of course money. I don't mind paying the freight but just need to find the cash. Lol
    Oh dear that's a pity .................................a lot of us were hoping you would go first with a review of the 85mm GM or a comparison with the 85mm Batis

Post Thanks / Like

Are you still considering swapping the FE 35/1.4 with the RX2? Or has that ship sailed?

Post Thanks / Like

I am interested in all three, the 85mm first.
    the HepKitty

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm going with the 85 1.4 first I already have my Batis 85 pre-sold. Mine is a laser it's just need to find a few dollars but I really would like to get it for a big gig on the 8th of March with models and such. So I'm trying to figure out the timing. What we don't know is when available in our actual hands. We can pre-order here on 2/10 but when they ship is a question mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The GM lenses seem quite.. large.
    A7r II + GM lens is now in the Leica SL size/weight class, which is interesting.

To a degree, it seems Sony & Leica mirrorless are converging on each other.
    Leica will remain 2x the price, better weather sealed, and simpler in use.
    Sony will remain 1/2 the price, more cutting edge tech (IBIS / pixels / video) , but with rather complex menus/controls/ergonomics.

The pricing spread will remain constant.
    Leica will probably remain a generation behind on some features, but for many will hit a point of sufficiency.
    That is, if you are willing to spend 2x. Or if you need weather sealing / can't deal with Sony menus&controls.

I say this as someone using both Leica M & Sony A7 series (Leica for last 10 years, Sony for last 18 months).
    They both end up in my bag for different reasons.

My hope is that Sony maintains at least 2 lens lines.. GM being big/heavy/expensive/optimal. And another lens line of.. small and good..
    blog
    steve

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jim DE View Post
    Vivek, This is sort of a open ended question... one we just don't know how good or bad this series of glass may be until it is put into paying customer hands. Would I buy one? If it was great and I needed it then sure I'd buy one..... Am I going to buy one? I don't think so as I just don't have a need for any of those 3 lens offerings. I have one lens in the 24-70 zoom range for A mount and it collects dust covering the sensor on a old A33 on a stoboframe that might get use once or twice per year. I have 2 lenses in the 70-200 range in A mount and I can't remember the last time either has come out of there case's. The 85? I have the 90 and am very happy with it so no sense buying the 85mm GM.
    Tough crowd that just does not say:

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr

Likes 17 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

That GM 85 has my name on it. I will skip the monstrous GM 135/1.8 (or 2) and go straight for the behemoth GM 200/2. And then the GM 600/4... oh wait, kinda got carried away .
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hiepphotog View Post
    That GM 85 has my name on it. I will skip the monstrous GM 135/1.8 (or 2) and go straight for the behemoth GM 200/2. And then the GM 600/4... oh wait, kinda got carried away .

Hi there Hiep,

300 mm and beyond? Ah, that's why I have MFT gear.
    With best regards, K-H.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not interested in these lenses, in fact I'm thinking about doing the opposite and selling a few lenses to simplify my choices.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Slingers View Post
    I'm not interested in these lenses ...
    Yeah, me neither, I just happened to be in the neighbourhood too ...

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for asking Vivek, I will buy the 24-70 and 70-200. No brainer in my view for a versatile 2 lens do it all for a trip. Throw in the FE35 2.8 for street and a A6300 as well to cover upto 300mm and I am all set for a trip to Montana. No more adapters!

Post Thanks / Like

We are planning a family trip to Italy and France.

I think the !6-35 and 85/1.4 would be all I need.

I already have the lovely 16-35 so it looks like I'll be picking up the 85/1.4 GM.

The 24-70/2.8 is also high on my list but I may wait on it for now.

-Bill

Post Thanks / Like

I will not be getting the 85 because I am happy with my Batis 85 at present and it's already big enough for the A7RII.

The 24-70 is tempting only because my current f4 version is not sharp enough for me and my Canon 2.8 is not being used much given I need an adapter for it. I did use it in the past with my Canon FF bodies but over the past 2 yrs I've gradually stopped using Canon for anything other than wildlife.

So for landscapes, travel and family stuff, it is just the Sony now (sadly even my Pentax 645 hasn't seen much use since the A7RII arrived). Which means the new 24-70 will be very attractive. The only issue is that I have three excellent primes that cover this particular focal range - the Batis 25, the 55 1.8 and the Batis 85. So it will be a question of whether I want to switch from primes to a single zoom, albeit with equally good IQ. Then there is the heft issue, granted it will replace my three primes in the bag, but on camera it will be a beast to lug around. No longer the discreet small camera shooting, now I will look like anybody else with a big DSLR and a monster lens on it.

I am sure everyone realizes it but few give it a second thought - hard to escape notice if you've got a huge camera/lens pointed at a person in the street.

Finally, the 70-200. Definitely not getting this one - for now. To me this would primarily be a wildlife lens, although I can see pros using this for that beautiful bokeh at 200mm in a head and shoulders portrait of the subject taken outdoors.

I have the f4 version from Canon and it works for me quite well. IF Sony comes up with a new body that may potentially replace the Canon in terms of AF, frame rate etc then I may consider this along with the new body. Would still need to keep the Canon body for the beyond 200mm needs, but I am guessing that in the next 2-3 years I will be an ALL-Sony man.

So, in a nutshell, 85 No, 24-70 likely, 70-200 no unless a 'compatible' body shows up from Sony.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

85mm F1.4, no : I'm already covered at that focal length with several 90mm. If I wanted to get a portrait lens, I would rather go for the Batis which is lighter.

24-70mm F2.8, no : I've got a good copy of the F4 version and I prefer lighter lenses. I would have considered a 24-105/120mm F4 if the IQ was good. That would make a perfect allaround lens, for non photo outings, where I could go with a single zoom.

70-200mm F2.8, no : I do already have the 70-200mm F4, in two versions, the Sony which is very few used since I have got the A7r2, because the Canon version is sharper while less cumbersome and I have the 1.4 extender for it. For more reach, I prefer the MFT format, it is lighter.

Post Thanks / Like

At the moment, the only one that has a strong attraction is the 24-70.

The 70-200 less so, but somewhat attractive to complement the 24-70.

The Batis is such a nice lens I don't see swapping it for the 85, even though I like the idea for an aperture ring.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Annna T View Post
    85mm F1.4, no : I'm already covered at that focal length with several 90mm. If I wanted to get a portrait lens, I would rather go for the Batis which is lighter.

24-70mm F2.8, no : I've got a good copy of the F4 version and I prefer lighter lenses. I would have considered a 24-105/120mm F4 if the IQ was good. That would make a perfect allaround lens, for non photo outings, where I could go with a single zoom.

70-200mm F2.8, no : I do already have the 70-200mm F4, in two versions, the Sony which is very few used since I have got the A7r2, because the Canon version is sharper while less cumbersome and I have the 1.4 extender for it. For more reach, I prefer the MFT format, it is lighter.
    I thought the Sony 24-70 f4 was too large and now the 2.8 is even larger. I guess there's no way to make the quality necessary in a smaller size? I'll probably just stick with my Canon glass until Sony figures it out. I hope they at least make a super high quality 35 and 50 and 135 all at f2 and can keep the size down.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterSteve View Post
    I thought the Sony 24-70 f4 was too large and now the 2.8 is even larger. I guess there's no way to make the quality necessary in a smaller size? I'll probably just stick with my Canon glass until Sony figures it out. I hope they at least make a super high quality 35 and 50 and 135 all at f2 and can keep the size down.
    The Loxia 35 and 50 are available now if you don't need AF.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Post Thanks / Like

They're too big and too heavy for me.

My kit right now is the Sony 28/2 and the Contax G 45/2 and 90/2.8, and I'm addicted to the extreme portability.

I'd love to see more prime FE options with AF in the 2-2.8 range with size and quality as a primary design emphasis. I don't need f1.4 or even f1.8, and am not willing to pay the price in terms of expense, or weight, to use fast lenses.

There's no going back for me.

Post Thanks / Like

I want to see these lenses compared to Zeiss Otus. Then sell my kidney and buy one or another

Post Thanks / Like

They're too big for me.

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Tough crowd that just does not say:

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr

I believe that's my sign
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Post Thanks / Like

Why?

Do please tell us where and what you paid for it.
    When I look on line I see US Pricing $1798 Vs Euro pricing €2000-€2149

Compare that to Batis
    US$1199 vs €1200
    A7II, FE 35, 55 C/Y 18, 28, 85, 100, 28-85

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Eoin View Post
    Do please tell us where and what you paid for it.
    When I look on line I see US Pricing $1798 Vs Euro pricing €2000-€2149

Compare that to Batis
    US$1199 vs €1200
    That is in line with Sony's pricing here and amounts to the same as that of the US +22% vat.

Zeiss pricing OTOH is different.

I believe the Sony lenses will be available from 3rd March. Not sure about the mythical Zeiss lenses though.

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't hold my breath for the 3rd March ... they have moved delivery out to the 31st March in the USA.
    A7II, FE 35, 55 C/Y 18, 28, 85, 100, 28-85

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

I would not buy a GM lens, at least not right now. To begin with I would like to see some proper tests before buying. Also, I am not into large aperture lenses. Image quality is important, but large aperture is not at all important for me. The 85/1.4 may be an exception, it is one of the few focal lengths where I would consider large aperture important.

Right now, I feel Canon mount lenses are more flexible for my needs.

Best regards
    Erik

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I won't be an early adopter of any of these lenses.

I'll wait for some GetDpi wizards to sort it all out and post images that speak to it all being worth the size and cost.

If the recently announced AF adapter for Leica M lenses works as advertised with little to no penalty, that will be my next move since I like using my M-21/1.4 ASPH, M-75/2 ASPH & M-90/2.8 on the A7R-II.

I already have a ZA 24-70/2.8 using the LAEA3 adapter for the occasional times I need a fast mid-range zoom.

- Marc

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eoin View Post
    I wouldn't hold my breath for the 3rd March ... they have moved delivery out to the 31st March in the USA.
    I believe that they're shipping on 3 March 2016 in Germany. Vivek is in the EU so it's not irrational for him to expect that he might receive his copy early in March.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I might have Vivek buy me one and ship to me. I want it NOW

Actually have a big gig on the 9th and it's all about a 85 and models. Love to have one for it

Post Thanks / Like

I ordered the 85 GM. Even owning the terrific 90/2.8 didn't stop me. I believe the 85 will be the best portrait lens available for the A7 series.

Plus, at 1.4 it is a nice low light lens as well.

At the wide end I love my 16-35. It was the only lens I took to the Super Bowl and I was very happy with it's performance. I would love something faster but everything seems to come with too many limitations.

-Bill

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I might have Vivek buy me one and ship to me. I want it NOW

Actually have a big gig on the 9th and it's all about a 85 and models. Love to have one for it
    If I can get one and get it shipped to you before that, of course! I am keeping an eye out for the release dates here. (These lenses have been held up for a while because of the production debacle with the Batis lenses.)

Guy, Just let me know if I can be of any help.

Post Thanks / Like

Vivek, to answer you initial question on if I will buy a GM lens? The answer is yes! But not one of these first 3 because I don't need them. My very next lens I buy will be a GM but it will be in a focal length I need or want. I will not buy a GM to replace any of my current lenses as I am more than happy with the ones I have. My a7rII kit is my hike in scenic kit and and I own the 16-35, 55, 90, and 70-400 which covers me from 16-600 and macro. I'm better than good on glass for this system and what I want it to do for me and I have a 30 liter backpack full with no room to add anything and no strength to carry more

But, my very next FE lens purchase for this system will be a GM series lense for sure.