The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7r and A7rII image quality comparison

soboyle

Now that you have lived with your A7rII for some months, I wonder what you see in terms of image quality compared to the original A7r. Same, slightly better? DXOmark has slightly more dynamic range on the original, but I doubt that can be seen in real world use.

It seems most of the improvements are in other areas, aside from the resolution bump. I'm using my A7r mostly for landscape and architectural work, and as annoying as the loud shutter is, image quality is excellent, especially when using great glass like the 50 1.8.

So my question is about image quality only, obviously there are many improvements to the camera operation, the electronic shutter, ibis etc. My limited budget might be better used on the new GM 24-70 (if it's as good as it looks), but am curious what others see IQ wise on the newer body.

iiiNelson

Now that you have lived with your A7rII for some months, I wonder what you see in terms of image quality compared to the original A7r. Same, slightly better? DXOmark has slightly more dynamic range on the original, but I doubt that can be seen in real world use.

It seems most of the improvements are in other areas, aside from the resolution bump. I'm using my A7r mostly for landscape and architectural work, and as annoying as the loud shutter is, image quality is excellent, especially when using great glass like the 50 1.8.

So my question is about image quality only, obviously there are many improvements to the camera operation, the electronic shutter, ibis etc. My limited budget might be better used on the new GM 24-70 (if it's as good as it looks), but am curious what others see IQ wise on the newer body.
I think the biggest improvements are a slight DR (2/3 a stop or so) advantage, a 1-2 stop lowlight advantage, IBIS, improved AF/tracking ability, tethered capture ability with live view in C1Pro 8/9, a higher flash sync speed, improved shutter, and uncompressed RAW (if that matters to you.)

If not keep shooting what you have until the next round is released.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I think the biggest improvements are a slight DR (2/3 a stop or so) advantage, a 1-2 stop lowlight advantage, IBIS, improved AF/tracking ability, tethered capture ability with live view in C1Pro 8/9, a higher flash sync speed, improved shutter, and uncompressed RAW (if that matters to you.)

Agree 110 percent. I also think the 42mpx has a better tonal range, better transition between colors as well. One word "smoother"

dandrewk

That's pretty much it, along with the huge improvement in AF, especially in low light.

The advantages of a higher res, BSI sensor are plain to see, and not always evident when testing with charts. That "slight" DR advantage becomes MUCH more evident with more pixels, especially when viewed on a high resolution monitor.

soboyle

I should know better than to ask, I knew it would end up costing me.
Honestly the price is almost worth it for the new shutter, I wince every time the A7r kathunks. But that camera was a champ during my 7 weeks shooting in Antarctica, the images are excellent and it didn't flinch even when it was 20 below zero. Battery life is another story.

iiiNelson

Honestly the price is almost worth it for the new shutter, I wince every time the A7r kathunks. But that camera was a champ during my 7 weeks shooting in Antarctica, the images are excellent and it didn't flinch even when it was 20 below zero. Battery life is another story.
If it's any consolation I'm still on version 1 of both the A7 and A7R. I know the newer versions are a lot better but I actually like the A7R's substantial shutter and the IQ is still excellent. I will probably upgrade to the mkIII (when released) if no A8/A9 is released (or if I don't go digital Fuji MF.) In either case I will still retain my A7R that's modified for Full Spectrum imagery because it's an excellent camera that gives me versatility I don't get from any other camera that I own.

*Both cameras did great on my trips to Europe, the Caribbean, and Africa as well. So no complaints there.

V

Vivek

Shaun, Good to hear that you had a great experience in Antartica! :)

The samples up on your site are just so gorgeous! :thumbs: