Site Sponsors

Thread: A7r and A7rII image quality comparison

Post Thanks / Like

A7r and A7rII image quality comparison

Now that you have lived with your A7rII for some months, I wonder what you see in terms of image quality compared to the original A7r. Same, slightly better? DXOmark has slightly more dynamic range on the original, but I doubt that can be seen in real world use.

It seems most of the improvements are in other areas, aside from the resolution bump. I'm using my A7r mostly for landscape and architectural work, and as annoying as the loud shutter is, image quality is excellent, especially when using great glass like the 50 1.8.

So my question is about image quality only, obviously there are many improvements to the camera operation, the electronic shutter, ibis etc. My limited budget might be better used on the new GM 24-70 (if it's as good as it looks), but am curious what others see IQ wise on the newer body.
    Shaun O'Boyle
    new.oboylephoto.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: A7r and A7rII image quality comparison

Quote Originally Posted by soboyle View Post
    Now that you have lived with your A7rII for some months, I wonder what you see in terms of image quality compared to the original A7r. Same, slightly better? DXOmark has slightly more dynamic range on the original, but I doubt that can be seen in real world use.

It seems most of the improvements are in other areas, aside from the resolution bump. I'm using my A7r mostly for landscape and architectural work, and as annoying as the loud shutter is, image quality is excellent, especially when using great glass like the 50 1.8.

So my question is about image quality only, obviously there are many improvements to the camera operation, the electronic shutter, ibis etc. My limited budget might be better used on the new GM 24-70 (if it's as good as it looks), but am curious what others see IQ wise on the newer body.
    I think the biggest improvements are a slight DR (2/3 a stop or so) advantage, a 1-2 stop lowlight advantage, IBIS, improved AF/tracking ability, tethered capture ability with live view in C1Pro 8/9, a higher flash sync speed, improved shutter, and uncompressed RAW (if that matters to you.)

If not keep shooting what you have until the next round is released.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by HiredArm View Post
    I think the biggest improvements are a slight DR (2/3 a stop or so) advantage, a 1-2 stop lowlight advantage, IBIS, improved AF/tracking ability, tethered capture ability with live view in C1Pro 8/9, a higher flash sync speed, improved shutter, and uncompressed RAW (if that matters to you.)

Agree 110 percent. I also think the 42mpx has a better tonal range, better transition between colors as well. One word "smoother"
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HiredArm View Post

That's pretty much it, along with the huge improvement in AF, especially in low light.

The advantages of a higher res, BSI sensor are plain to see, and not always evident when testing with charts. That "slight" DR advantage becomes MUCH more evident with more pixels, especially when viewed on a high resolution monitor.

Post Thanks / Like

I should know better than to ask, I knew it would end up costing me.
    Honestly the price is almost worth it for the new shutter, I wince every time the A7r kathunks. But that camera was a champ during my 7 weeks shooting in Antarctica, the images are excellent and it didn't flinch even when it was 20 below zero. Battery life is another story.
    Shaun O'Boyle
    new.oboylephoto.com
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Honestly the price is almost worth it for the new shutter, I wince every time the A7r kathunks. But that camera was a champ during my 7 weeks shooting in Antarctica, the images are excellent and it didn't flinch even when it was 20 below zero. Battery life is another story.
    If it's any consolation I'm still on version 1 of both the A7 and A7R. I know the newer versions are a lot better but I actually like the A7R's substantial shutter and the IQ is still excellent. I will probably upgrade to the mkIII (when released) if no A8/A9 is released (or if I don't go digital Fuji MF.) In either case I will still retain my A7R that's modified for Full Spectrum imagery because it's an excellent camera that gives me versatility I don't get from any other camera that I own.

*Both cameras did great on my trips to Europe, the Caribbean, and Africa as well. So no complaints there.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Shaun, Good to hear that you had a great experience in Antartica!

The samples up on your site are just so gorgeous!
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Vivek. Amazing amazing experiences in Antarctica. Can't say enough good things about the NSF's artists and writers program.
    If interested I have over 50 blog posts from my trip.
    www.popantarctica.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Shaun, Good to hear that you had a great experience in Antartica!

The samples up on your site are just so gorgeous!
    Shaun O'Boyle
    new.oboylephoto.com
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post