The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Zeiss Batis 85 or Milvus 85

V

Vivek

Would be interesting to compare them with the real titan, the GM 85 f/1.4. ;)

bradhusick

To my eye the milvius is beating the batis for bokeh and 3-dimensionality, but the weight and AF tradeoff is too much.

Winner: Batis

Thanks for doing the comparison!

ryc

To my eye the milvius is beating the batis for bokeh and 3-dimensionality, but the weight and AF tradeoff is too much.

Winner: Batis

Thanks for doing the comparison!
Yeap which is why if I had to pick one it would be the Batis unless I went back to Nikon.

Eoin

Both of them to my eye, have the modern Zeiss (nervous) bokeh. I'm not a fan of either lens's rendering. As Vivek says, the new kid on the block 85GM will hopefully add a new choice in this focal length.

V

Vivek

Both of them to my eye, have the modern Zeiss (nervous) bokeh. I'm not a fan of either lens's rendering. As Vivek says, the new kid on the block 85GM will hopefully add a new choice in this focal length.

Right on, Eoin! :)

Let us hope that the QC would also be far better! ;)

Eoin

Let us hope that the QC would also be far better! ;)
Well ... for nearly twice the price, it'd want to do something far better.
But that slide is a little misleading, as Sony had zero input into the Batis or Milvus I would think.
That just leaves the Sony QC in the equation and if they are pitching these as their "ultimate resolution" & "lens for life" they really need to be perfect right out of the box.

I've compromised and done what I said I wouldn't do .. I've ordered one.
Photography is full of compromises ... or so they say!.
Delivery expected end of March ... excitement builds!.

gazwas

Well ... for nearly twice the price, it'd want to do something far better.
But that slide is a little misleading, as Sony had zero input into the Batis or Milvus I would think.
I thought the modern Zeiss lenses were designed by Cosina or Vivitar or similar third party?

iiiNelson

I thought the modern Zeiss lenses were designed by Cosina or Vivitar or similar third party?
The modern Zeiss lenses are designed by Zeiss but some are manufactured in the Cosina factory to include MOST ZM lenses, the Touit line, and the Batis line. I'm unsure about the Loxia line but I'd imagine that it was Cosina manufactured too. This is no different than any other modern business practice of Sony cameras manufactured in Thailand are still Sony, Leica's produced in Canada are still Leica's and Apple products are still Apple's whether produced by Samsung, Foxconn, or whomever.