The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Zeiss Loxia 21mm 2.8/ Sony 28mm F2 lens corners tests

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I bought both the 21 and the 28 recently and I always run this test just to see if everything is symmetrical and nothing has any issues like I had with 3 previous Sony 35mm 1.4. Im on my 4th copy of that lens and I finally have one at 2.8 the corners match left to right. Yes been through the war on that but I think I won the battle. The Loxia 21mm as you will see is exactly what a lens should be and I have a stellar copy it seems. At 2.8 both corners match and even better its even really great at 2.8 across the frame. Don't ask how but I think I have been blessed by the corner Gods but the lens is killer through the aperture range and lets call it F4 looks no different than 5.6. Now that I got your attention , you want it it will cost you 5k. ROTFLMAO

Okay that was the good news. Now onto the Sony 28mm F2 after you look at the Loxia its a little disappointing but lets put that into perspective this is 3x less expensive of a lens at US prices new at 448.00. So yea at F2 its not great across the frame and it does take a bit to get there although the lens is even in both corners at all apertures so not asymmetry issues and centrally this is a nice lens. I do like it but you want corners sharp than stop down, its just that simple. I would like folks to confirm this looks like there copy or not. I want to be sure and if not Ill return it and get a brand new one. I bought the 28mm at KEH and I have a few days to return it. So let me know what you think.

One the 21mm focus is just before the hard stop and really its really at infinity pretty much. I can test true infinity but honestly this copy is great and might just be a waste of my time.

Both lens centrally are very good and I feel no need to go through that work. But lets take a look at this test

I did Full image view of each lens than at the widest apertures i did both upper left and right just to make sure they are equal which they look like they are . Than I just did the upper left stopping down.

One issue is the hood on the 28mm is not the hood that comes with it. I never use original hoods but metal screw in hoods. The 28mm hood is to big and caused some vignetting in the extreme corners so I ordered on that will work better. Nice buying lenses from me because I never use the caps or the hoods that came with the lenses as i store them and use cheaper caps and hoods. No reason to be loosing 40 dollar lens caps and folks they do get lost at some point.

Loxia 21mm

Sony 28mm F2

I do have distortion correction on in Capture One and it did apply it to the 28mm but I don't think there is one for the Loxia 21mm yet as flipping the switch on and off caused no change

Barry Haines

Guy, a personal thanks for carrying out this test...Glad you got yourself a great 21mm Loxia it's a wonderful little lens...I was particularly interested in seeing how the Sony 28mm lens compared in the corners to the 21mm so thanks for the comparison...Cheers Barry

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Thanks Barry appreciate that. I just got a VC 35mm 1.7 coming today and Im really wondering about this lens. Sounds like another test. LOL

I revamped my whole kit

Today

VC 15mm III, Loxia 21mm, Sony 28mm, VC 35mm 1.7, Loxia 50, Batis 85 but will sell for new GM 85

Added a Sigma 24-70 this morning for PR work

Outside the Sigma i have a really really small kit now

Barry Haines

Thanks Barry appreciate that. I just got a VC 35mm 1.7 coming today and Im really wondering about this lens. Sounds like another test. LOL

I revamped my whole kit

Today

VC 15mm III, Loxia 21mm, Sony 28mm, VC 35mm 1.7, Loxia 50, Batis 85 but will sell for new GM 85

Added a Sigma 24-70 this morning for PR work

Outside the Sigma i have a really really small kit now
Guy, that's great news. I will look with great interest in seeing how the new 35mm Ultron tests turn out (If you do carry out some tests on the 35mm Ultron, could you please include your 35mm Loxia image test shots that you carried out last year, that should be most revealing and most appreciated certainly by me that is)...Likewise I have been looking at the 35mm Ultron lens with a lot of interest for a while now. As much as I love the FE 35mm Distagon as I know you do also, I would dearly like the 35mm to be a smaller fast lens to fit in my travel bag...as you said earlier it's nice to have some smaller lenses balancing out the faster, inescapable larger longer FL's.
I'm sure it was a hard decision to let the Batis lenses go as they are both truly excellent lenses with their own set of strengths...IMHO that's a great outfit that you have now decided upon.
I'm also wondering if that clever Zeiss Batis DoF lens scale technology will eventually end up filtering it's way on to future A7 series EVF's, as opposed to on the lens itself!...That would be a nice touch and I'm guessing not that impossible to implement unless Patent's dictate otherwise...Cheers Barry