The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New E mount adapter from Sigma

Slingers

Last edited:

Annna T

Sigma has announced two new E mount adapters for both Canon and Sigma mounts. They work on APSC and FF cameras.

Its good to have another option.

Sigma lanza un adaptador para poder usar una veintena de sus ópticas en cámaras Sony E | Quesabesde

http://dslrmagazine.com/accesorios/accesorios-para-digital-y-analogico/adaptador-sigma-mc-11.html
This could also mean that they have no intention to offer any of their lenses in FE mounts. It is like telling us : buy one of our lenses in Canon mount, add the adapter and you are set, no need for native mounts... It would be interesting to know whether this solution can offer the same AF functionalities as native lenses. My impression is that they won't. Still, for someone having both a Canon system and an E-mount body, this may be better news.

Edit : only AFS is possible.

Last edited:

CSP

This could also mean that they have no intention to offer any if their lenses in FE mounts. It is like telling us : buy one of our lenses in Canon or Nikon mounts, add the adapter and you are set, no need for native mounts... It would be interesting to know whether this solution can offer the same AF functionalities as native lenses. My impression is that they won't. Still, for someone having both a Canikon system and an E-mount body, this may be better news.

Edit : only AFS is possible.

seems you are specialized in projecting negativ aspects on every sony related product announcement.

i have no doubt sigma has the expertise to build great working adapters when priced right this can become a very good
alternative to metabones. there is nothing wrong and even when sigma decides not to build native FE lenses
we still have much more lens option compared to similar systems.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I wonder if it is locked in specifically to Sigma lenses only. Be nice if it could be Canon lenses as well. Good for Sony users. Not sure I'm interested but I love having the choices. Hopefully this will make it into rental houses as well.

The one lens that does interest me is the 24 1.4. The 35 1.4 is a little too clinical in look for my taste.

V

Vivek

More adapter options? :ROTFL:

Metabones showed that there is money to be made in this area. Easier way out for sigma. Disappointing,

PS: Anna, well said! :)

Schmiddi

Quite clever move for me - Sigma usually only has EOS- and Nikon-mounts (besides their own), many lenses even don't come in A-mount (or at least years later). So this adapter is easy solution: simply continue with EOS, don't offer native A- and E-mount (at least for now). For the newer A7-generations with PDAF on sensor AF-performance should be the same for native E or adapted EOS. Cost effective for Sigma - and: they can reduce compatibility problems, new body or new lens? - Just update firmware of adapter.
So though to me it also seems that at least for now Sigma will not offer a wider line up native in E - but at least they give access to all existing lenses. Better than nothing...
Andreas

ohnri

No continuous AF.

No thanks.

It is bad enough that Eye Detect AF does not even work with the laea3 and A mount lenses on the A7r2.

The best solution, by far, remains native FE mount glass.

Come on Sigma, bring some of your tasty ART glass to the fast growing world of Sony. If you build it, we will buy it.

-Bill

gurtch

If a long standing and reliable company like Sigma would only build a Nikon AF adapter for E mount, I would be first in line...I have numerous Nikon mount Nikkors and Zeiss lenses.
Dave in NJ