The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma 30mm 1.4 emount!!!

ggibson

Nice, finally SOMEONE releases a f1.4 lens for APS-C E mount. I think this is a very appealing option--great focal length, fast speed. Keep it up, Sigma!

ggibson

I'll be interested also to see tests with this lens on an FE camera. The Sigma 30/2.8 was surprisingly usable cropped to about 1.2x and sometimes even less. I'm crossing my fingers that Sigma realizes there's a lot of new FE camera owners who are in the market for some sharp primes :grin:

For APS-C cameras, this 30/1.4 sits nicely between the 35/1.8 and 24/1.8 even if it is a bit bigger than both. For f1.4, it's still a pretty good size!

V

Vivek

I think this will fail. This FL is a tad wide for Sony and a bit long for m43rds.

iiiNelson

I think this will fail. This FL is a tad wide for Sony and a bit long for m43rds.
Vivek it's an APS-C lens so it will operate as a fast "normal" 45mm equivalent lens. I'd. Agree with you though if it were a FF lens.

ggibson

MSRP $339! Way to go, Sigma! Cheaper than the Sony 35/1.8.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/265182...o-four-thirds-and-50-100mm-f1-8-art-for-aps-c

OT: Sigma also announced new mirrorless SD Quattro cameras in APS-C and APS-H sensor sizes, which is quite interesting. Strange looking, although better ergonomics than the weird DP Quattro line which I tested for a week. Love that foveon sensor, but the software is soooo slow and really necessary to get the best out of the RAWs.

ggibson

DPR has a sample gallery up, shot in crop mode with the A7rII:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/4812403421/sigma-30mm-f1-4-dc-dn-contemporary-real-world-sample-gallery

Some good info from looking at the shots and in the comments:

- CA is apparent wide open, but gets better quickly
- "all focus modes are available, as is PDAF over the entire PDAF area."
- "fast stepper motor - one of the faster ones I've seen for F1.4 glass"
- Image circle is not close to FF, lens is definitely APS-C only (unlike Sigma's original 30/2.8, unfortunately)
- T-stop appears to be f1.8ish
- Decent amount of distortion to be corrected in software

I'm really interested in the Sigma 30/1.4, although I wasn't blown away by the DPR sample gallery. Sharpness doesn't look as good as the original 30/2.8 was, but maybe I'm just judging it harshly wide open. Rishi's comments indicated he thought it was pretty sharp.