The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony TTL is coming to Godox strobes and speedlites

dmward

Based on email exchanges with Edward Tang of Cheetah Stand and various thread posts it appears that Godox is going to add Sony TTL capabilities to its line of speedlites and Witstro flash units. The system includes the X-1 TTL trigger/controller and receives as well.

A recent post on Photography on the Net by an individual that does a lot of testing for Godox and Cheetah stated that Canon and Nikon versions will start shipping after the Chinese New Year and that Sony versions will start shipping awhile later, the delay is apparently difficulty procuring Sony ISO hotshoe components.

The Ving TTL speedlites use Lithium Ion batteries which provide recycle times equivalent to an AA cell powered speedlite with an external battery pack.

If this system does become available it will be the first time that Sony shooters will have a complete line of TTL capable strobes available from speedlite power to 600Ws. All controllable from the camera in either TTL or Manual or a mix by groups.

There are manual only versions of the lights also available that can be included in the mix.

(disclaimer: I did testing for Edward when he and Godox were perfecting the Cells IIc tigger to provide H mode for Canon cameras. I have no involvement in the Sony development.)

Slingers

This is great news. It's good to see the 3rd party flash options expanding. The support for the new hotshoe has been slow but I think it's a better fit for the e mount than the Minolta hotshoe since you can use a lot of other flash hotshoe's in manual mode or pass through audio from Sony Microphones. This full system TTL option though is a fantastic addition.

dmward

Here is a reply I got from Shom who is working closely with Edward at Cheetah and Godox on product development.

"The first item they are releasing with a sony foot is TT685 the aa battery flash to test and find all the bugs.

Once that returns good results they will start releasing the sony ttl versions of x-1, 360II and the 860II.

The sony foot will be the most current version sony is using.

If you already have the new 360II all you will need is the foot mount and firmware update."

This suggests that those using the 1/4 base on a 360II TTL can just update the firmware for Sony. Same for the AD600 TTL apparently.

This is the first time I've heard a manufacturer permit converting a unit from one camera's TTL to another.

Pricing should be close to what we can see on Amazon etc. for the Canon/Nikon versions.

V

Vivek

David, the only "firsts" are for Godox. Sony ttl studio flashes (i posted a while ago with a link) has been done (though i have not been able to buy one, admittedly). Metz had flashes that allowed ttl with different systems by changing the flash foot, a long time ago.

All that said, good to have these coming up. :)

dmward

David, the only "firsts" are for Godox. Sony ttl studio flashes (i posted a while ago with a link) has been done (though i have not been able to buy one, admittedly). Metz had flashes that allowed ttl with different systems by changing the flash foot, a long time ago.

All that said, good to have these coming up. :)
You're right. I forgot about Metz and their replacement base for changing camera types. Apparently the base also contained enough of the firmware to handle the proprietary TTL signaling interface with the Metz TTL firmware.