Site Sponsors

Thread: Sony Please Square Format with A7RII cameras!

Post Thanks / Like

Sony Please Square Format with A7RII cameras!

Sony would you please listen and add to firmware a simple square option.

I love square and I miss it since film times. Now that we have flipping monitor and easy manual focus option we only need that square.

Please listen and give us that surprise.

I'll be very grateful, even more that what I am now with my 2 babies A7R and A7R2. Love them both really.

www.achdigital.com
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sony Please Square Format with A7RII cameras!

I agree. The output would render about a 28mp image which is still plenty for most applications.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

and then we can complain less about corner sharpness
    blog
    steve

Post Thanks / Like

The easiest way to get a square format output from your A7RII is to build an input preset for Lightroom that applies a square crop to your images.

It's not too hard to visualize the square format in the view finder. Especially if you have the grid line option turned on.

I do agree that square format is a great option. I loved shooting with Hassy and getting square negatives. There is something about the format that is visually compelling for me.

Another option for square, if working on a tripod with a tilt/shift lens is to use the shift function to make two images that, when combined using the Pano merge feature in Lightroom, generates a really nice large file for processing.
    David

dmwfotos | davidmward.photography
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I could not agree more! I think it is so lame that Sony offers only a 3:2 mode for stills on the A7R2

I would really prefer a 5:4 or 4:3 mode but would also welcome a 1:1 crop mode.

From what I understand, both a 1:1 and a 4:3 are offered on the Sony RX1R2, so it must be super easy to implement this in a firmware upgrade for the Sony A7R2 and others..

I did post on the Sony community site in the hope that maybe somebody there was listening

http://community.sony.com/t5/Alpha-N...re/td-p/542704

Please add your comments there as well, hopefully this can be added in a firmware update...
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Sign me up for square as well. I crop square on everything I do.
    David
    Auckland, NZ.

Post Thanks / Like

Well lets hope they listen to us.

Wallpaperviking, thanks for posting in the Sony community site. The moderator actually answer the proposal and send it to the right people. I didn't know about that site.

"Hi wallpaperviking,

Welcome to the Sony Community!

While the firmware updates and product developments being made by Sony are confidential, we still appreciate the voices of our customers when it comes to improving our products and services. Thanks for this feedback, we will forward this to the right department.

For assistance regarding any concern about your camera, please contact the Sony offices/Sony representative offices nearest to your place of residence in Asia Pacific region http://www.sony-asia.com/countrysele...or:AsiaPacific. Due to proximity, they are in a better position to respond to your questions or concerns.

If my post answers your question, please mark it as "Accept as Solution". Thanks_Mitch"

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Interestingly enough the RX1R II comes with crops for square and also 4:3 so it's not as though a firmware option for the A7RII would be a leap of faith for them. I'd like it too for the same reasons as other folks here - I see square most of the time.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Post Thanks / Like

Any idea if a 645 waist level finder by either Mamiya or Pentax might be able to be attached to the rear LCD of the A7RII, so that I can view the rear LCD in my desired 5:4 crop?

Totally lame to have to do this but that is all I can think of at this stage... Figure this may be the smallest option..

There are the "video" type viewers but these seem to make the camera much larger and don't fold down...

Any other thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by wallpaperviking View Post
    Any idea if a 645 waist level finder by either Mamiya or Pentax might be able to be attached to the rear LCD of the A7RII, so that I can view the rear LCD in my desired 5:4 crop?

Totally lame to have to do this but that is all I can think of at this stage... Figure this may be the smallest option..

There are the "video" type viewers but these seem to make the camera much larger and don't fold down...

Any other thoughts?
    Wouldn't it make more sense to mask off your LCD with gaffer's tape and use the flipped-up LCD to frame. Then you could make a crop in LR (on import) to match.

I hope Sony listens because I still use 3 TLR's and a 6x7, and love to shoot square (I just imagine it in the viewfinder or flipped lcd and crop).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cindy Flood View Post
    Then you could make a crop in LR (on import) to match.
    Cindy, are you aware of a specific way to do a crop on import with Lightroom? I've tried to do it, but presets seem to save everything -but- cropping.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEvangelist View Post
    Cindy, are you aware of a specific way to do a crop on import with Lightroom? I've tried to do it, but presets seem to save everything -but- cropping.
    I crop each one as I process it. If I made a mask, then I would try to automate it. Maybe someone else has done it and will respond.
    -Cindy
    www.cindyflood.com
    www.flickr.com/cindyflood

Post Thanks / Like

I crop each one as I process it.
    Darn. I do it that way too, but I was hoping you might have found an automated way. (I sometimes shoot APS-C lenses in full-frame mode so I can eek out a bit more field of view. It would be great to be able to set up a preset for that.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Mike, Here are some ideas for doing the crop. I still think a preset would be great and hope someone can add more info.

https://holycrop.wordpress.com/2011/...-in-lightroom/
    -Cindy
    www.cindyflood.com

Post Thanks / Like

Wouldn't it make more sense to mask off your LCD with gaffer's tape and use the flipped-up LCD to frame. Then you could make a crop in LR (on import) to match.

I hope Sony listens because I still use 3 TLR's and a 6x7, and love to shoot square (I just imagine it in the viewfinder or flipped lcd and crop).
    Funny you should say that, last week I bought a nice Rolleiflex 2.8c. Thought if I only wanted one film camera in my bag what would it be, Rolleiflex for sure.
    David
    Auckland, NZ.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hausen View Post
    Funny you should say that, last week I bought a nice Rolleiflex 2.8c. Thought if I only wanted one film camera in my bag what would it be, Rolleiflex for sure.
    I bet it is a beauty! I have 2 Rolleicords, a Yashicamat, and a Mamiya 7. I have had 2 Rolleiflex in the past and many other Rolleicords. There is nothing like framing a 6x6 in the viewfinder.
    -Cindy
    www.cindyflood.com
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Mike, Here are some ideas for doing the crop. I still think a preset would be great and hope someone can add more info.

https://holycrop.wordpress.com/2011/...-in-lightroom/
    Cindy thank you for the link!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I would prefer an add-on program for the A series cameras that allow a few things...

1. Set up a grid on the screen TO YOUR OWN SPECIFICATIONS! Not just the default one in the operating system.
    2. Permit the screen to have a white border or other method of showing the edges and corners of the frame when composing in the dark, or when you have a dark edge/corner in the image.
    3. Permit inverse-screen colors for the outer information frame area (white background, black text or similar) for the surrounding information.

I don't know... there are probably a few other things I'd like as well.

I do crop to square a decent amount, but I don't think I'd want to lock that into the file if the camera is capable of grabbing more the the sides. That gives me room to choose the crop in the post processing. However, I'd LOVE a square crop frame that shows the square image at the center with a few crop ticks or lines and then shows the edges beyond grayed back a little to each side.

---Michael
    a7r, a7rII, FE 16-35, FE 24-70GM, FE 70-200, Loxia 21mm, 35mm, 50mm

Post Thanks / Like

I do crop to square a decent amount, but I don't think I'd want to lock that into the file if the camera is capable of grabbing more the the sides. That gives me room to choose the crop in the post processing. However, I'd LOVE a square crop frame that shows the square image at the center with a few crop ticks or lines and then shows the edges beyond grayed back a little to each side.

As far as I know, this is basically the option of the RX1R2... Provides darkened off areas for viewing (1:1, 4:3) but leaves the whole 3:2 sensor file size and leaves it to you to crop in post...

Just need a firmware update for the other A series cameras!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dmward View Post

It's not too hard to visualize the square format in the view finder. Especially if you have the grid line option turned on.

I do agree that square format is a great option. I loved shooting with Hassy and getting square negatives. There is something about the format that is visually compelling for me.
    I'm using the grid now as dmward explained, but still fell we should have format choice.

The new firmware didn't bring this option yet so still hoping for Sony to listen.

I've been shooting quite a lot lately and getting more familiar with the menu and options. This is a great camera. I haven't feel this way since I bought my Bronica SQ and lenses a million years ago. Gosh that camera was a trip.

Post Thanks / Like

Just had a chance to test out the Sony RX1R2 at my local camera store... Goddamn that thing is tiny! Pretty awesome!

As I heard previously, it has the options of 3:2, 16:9, 1:1 and 4:3 as crop options..

C'mon Sony, please include this in your "flagship" camera, the Sony A7R2..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wallpaperviking View Post
    Just had a chance to test out the Sony RX1R2 at my local camera store... Goddamn that thing is tiny! Pretty awesome!

As I heard previously, it has the options of 3:2, 16:9, 1:1 and 4:3 as crop options..

C'mon Sony, please include this in your "flagship" camera, the Sony A7R2..
    It's good to know they already included in the RX1R2.

BTW there is a rumor of a new Sony:

“the new sensor will be between 70 – 80 Megapixels. They are working on improved IBIS as well. Although officially the new lenses per the 24-70 F2.8 GM and the others have been tested for QC at 60+ Megapixels and 6K+ Video they achieve even better results than that.“

If true, is Sony going crazy, can it really be handled by existing lenses?