The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Godox announces Sony TTL for its products

dmward

HERE is the announcement on Flash Hovac site.

I've been talking to Edward Chang at Cheetah Stand about this for awhile now.

The AD360II will have TTL and will automatically switch from Canon to Nikon to Sony depending on the X-1 trigger with which its communicating. The implication, which will have to be confirmed in the field, is that two shooters could share the same lighting setup at an event. Even if they are using different camera brands.

Naturally, the X-1 will be camera brand specific since it has hot shoe and foot.

The TTL capable Li-Ion batteries speedlites are also a good addition. The AD600 also provides higher output for those that need it. (Edward told me it's measured output is closer to 540Ws.)

Finally, the AC powered strobes with the X-1 compatible receiver means a complete lighting kit that can be controlled from the same on-camera trigger for Sony, as well as canon.

dmward

Once they are released for sale by Godox, probably in late March or April, they should be available from multiple sources. Cheetah Stand, Amazon, Adorama, possibly B&H, I would expect that one or more Canadian photo dealers will offer them as well.

I think Edward at Cheetah Stand will now ship to Canada.
He plans to offer the AD360II which is TTL. He currently is saying that he will only carry the manual version AD600. The Sony TTL version of the V860 II will be later.

dmward

So David we just need to change the foot on our 360 heads
The AD360II is available only as a TTL enabled strobe. The difference between the C, N and S versions will be the Hot Foot plate. Each will also come with the plate that has a 1/4-20 socket for attaching to a light stand or spigot.

The light, when is wireless mode will accept C, N or S TTL commands from a master or the X1 TTL trigger.
When putting the light in master mode, the C, N or S TTL is selected via a menu option.

Placing the appropriate hot foot plate on the light permits using it in the camera hotshoe as a TTL speedlite as well as a TTL Master.

That's what I've gleaned from talking to Edward and reading through information on the Godox website and some PM discussions with guys testing the Canon variant.

I'm working on getting a couple of first release TT865S speedlites and X1S trigger from Godox to evaluate.

Amazon is showing the Canon and Nikon variants in a two light plus trigger kit for approximately $285.00. That's an attractive price.

My experience with the manual lithium-ion batteries speedlites has been positive. They are well built and function as designed.

BTW, there is a new version of the F-16 and FS-16 receiver modules available that support the X1 2.4GHz radio system so our existing manual Godox units can be included in a lighting plan with the new lights.

The manual lights we now have can not be upgraded to TTL capabilities.

dmward

Got an email today confirming that the TT685s is in production.
Made arrangements to purchase two of them when available.

Will report on my findings.

iiiNelson

I'm interested in seeing how these work out and the long term durability of them. I currently have one PCB Einstein, a Mola 22" Soft Silver Demi Dish, and some Westcott parabolic umbrellas for modifiers so it won't be too crazy to switch systems. But I'd prefer a native system that can do TTL & HSS.

dmward

I'm interested in seeing how these work out and the long term durability of them. I currently have one PCB Einstein, a Mola 22" Soft Silver Demi Dish, and some Westcott parabolic umbrellas for modifiers so it won't be too crazy to switch systems. But I'd prefer a native system that can do TTL & HSS.
When I got my first Godox bare bulb units I was shooting with a Canon 5DIII and had 4 Einsteins, VMLs, and lots of modifiers for them including a full set of PLMs.

I got the Godox AD180 from Edward at Cheetah Stand to test the Cells II trigger to confirm how it did Hyper Sync. Long story short, over the next year I tested the Cells IIc for Edward to confirm that it worked properly with newer Canon cameras, then expanded my Godox kit to include 3 AD360s along with the 180 and 4 V800 speedlites with Lithium Ion batteries. And sold my Einstein kit.

Now fast forward to the move to Sony and finally seeing Godox deliver the TTL I (along with others) pressed Edward to have them develop for CaNikon for Sony.

I really like the size and power the AD360s offer. Having that available with TTL metering will be very useful. Being able to include my existing manual units via the XFT-16 receivers is icing on the cake.

iiiNelson

When I got my first Godox bare bulb units I was shooting with a Canon 5DIII and had 4 Einsteins, VMLs, and lots of modifiers for them including a full set of PLMs.

I got the Godox AD180 from Edward at Cheetah Stand to test the Cells II trigger to confirm how it did Hyper Sync. Long story short, over the next year I tested the Cells IIc for Edward to confirm that it worked properly with newer Canon cameras, then expanded my Godox kit to include 3 AD360s along with the 180 and 4 V800 speedlites with Lithium Ion batteries. And sold my Einstein kit.

Now fast forward to the move to Sony and finally seeing Godox deliver the TTL I (along with others) pressed Edward to have them develop for CaNikon for Sony.

I really like the size and power the AD360s offer. Having that available with TTL metering will be very useful. Being able to include my existing manual units via the XFT-16 receivers is icing on the cake.
I didn't go crazy (for a change) with my modifiers on Balcar mount. The only ones I invested into are the ones that I can either change mounts on or are universal. I'll likely go with the Bowen S mount if I choose to go the Godox (or their variants) way. Simply has more available options and seems to possibly be a more secure mount compared to anything that isn't Profoto that I've handled.

dmward

I didn't go crazy (for a change) with my modifiers on Balcar mount. The only ones I invested into are the ones that I can either change mounts on or are universal. I'll likely go with the Bowen S mount if I choose to go the Godox (or their variants) way. Simply has more available options and seems to possibly be a more secure mount compared to anything that isn't Profoto that I've handled.
The Bowen S mount is secure and easy to find adapter that will fit just about any modifier.

The S Bracket that Godox offers is quite useful and inexpensive. A speedlite or bare bulb flash will easily fit into the bracket and is held tight via a friction clamp. I have several of them. There is also a version for Elinchrom mount.

I like umbrella framed soft boxes for the bare bulb flashes. The umbrella adapter screws onto the head and positions the light next to the centerline of the modifier. This approach also means the tube can be pointed into the back of the modifier to even the light across the front diffusion material.