Site Sponsors

Thread: Trick of the Day/ Sensor cleaning

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Trick of the Day/ Sensor cleaning

Im sure Sony would never recommend this but trust me I have been cleaning these for years with swabs and eclipse. Today I was cleaning and you know that the sensor moves because of IBIS with camera off. But did you know if you turn the camera ON and there is no lens the sensor does not move . So it makes it far easier to clean a sensor with a swab when its not moving. Is this safe is your next question I can hear the thunder coming over the mountain. For me it is. Obviously the camera is on so you don't want to be pouring solution down its throat but I did not see any issues.

Now this comes from a guy that uses canned air which every manual on the planet says NO. As always proceed with caution. LOL
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Trick of the Day/ Sensor cleaning

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Im sure Sony would never recommend this but trust me I have been cleaning these for years with swabs and eclipse. Today I was cleaning and you know that the sensor moves because of IBIS with camera off. But did you know if you turn the camera ON and there is no lens the sensor does not move . So it makes it far easier to clean a sensor with a swab when its not moving. Is this safe is your next question I can hear the thunder coming over the mountain. For me it is. Obviously the camera is on so you don't want to be pouring solution down its throat but I did not see any issues.

Now this comes from a guy that uses canned air which every manual on the planet says NO. As always proceed with caution. LOL
    I've noticed that for some reason the sensors on my A7RII and A7II get dirty much more easily than on other cameras. Not sure why and the moving sensor was disconcerting. I'll have to give this a try.