The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Minolta Maxxum 28-135 Zoom on Sony A7

al2002

Are any forum members using the Sony 28-135 zoom on the A7 or A7R? If so, please post your impressions. I still have one, 20+ years old, left over from film days when I used it with a Maxxum 7 as a general purpose lens.

Thanks in advance.

The Ute

Are any forum members using the Sony 28-135 zoom on the A7 or A7R? If so, please post your impressions. I still have one, 20+ years old, left over from film days when I used it with a Maxxum 7 as a general purpose lens.

Thanks in advance.
I have one and tried to use it on my A7RII.
Unfortunately I only have the LA-EA3 which mean it functions only in manual mode.
It takes the LA-EA4 to autofocus which is what I prefer.
Sorry I can't provide any images.
Should work well though.
It's a great lens.

al2002

Thanks for the reply Ute.

Are sharpness, colour fringing and vignetting adequate on your A7 RII, or does the lens fall short of modern standards?

The Ute

Unfortunately I can't answer that as I did not take any photos w the combo.
Once I realized it was manual focus only (w/o the LA-EA4) I just set the lens aside.
I plan on selling it since I already paid for the LA-EA3 and use it w other lenses that are not screw driven.
Just guessing I would say the lens is not quite up to modern standards in the are you mention but still would produce excellent photos.
I always liked the output from that particular lens when I used it w my A850.

benroy

Subscriber Member
I have the 28-135 Minolta lens (along with an array of Minolta Maxxum lenses) that I use with the AF adapter on the the A7 and the A7RII. This is a very sharp lens at all focal lengths.
However, it is not fast...it does not AF fast, and it does not focus close. I cannot speak about optical irregularities such as CA...if they occur, they are handled by Photoshop.
Lens is heavy, but handles well on both Sonys.
I use it for walkarounds...keep to bright sun, and avoid macro work. Anything from 6' out, and you're fine.

I might add: the following Minolta Maxxums are superb lenses and well worth looking into: 28/2, 35/2, 50/2,8 macro, 100/2, 100/2,8 macro, 135/2,8 macro, 80-200 zoom, 200/2,8 (superlative!)

Just my 2 pfennigs worth...I don't get a chance to offer info much, hope this helps.

Roy Benson

gurtch

I have the 28-135 Minolta lens (along with an array of Minolta Maxxum lenses) that I use with the AF adapter on the the A7 and the A7RII. This is a very sharp lens at all focal lengths.
However, it is not fast...it does not AF fast, and it does not focus close. I cannot speak about optical irregularities such as CA...if they occur, they are handled by Photoshop.
Lens is heavy, but handles well on both Sonys.
I use it for walkarounds...keep to bright sun, and avoid macro work. Anything from 6' out, and you're fine.

I might add: the following Minolta Maxxums are superb lenses and well worth looking into: 28/2, 35/2, 50/2,8 macro, 100/2, 100/2,8 macro, 135/2,8 macro, 80-200 zoom, 200/2,8 (superlative!)

Just my 2 pfennigs worth...I don't get a chance to offer info much, hope this helps.

Roy Benson
I might add that the Minolta 20mm f2.8 is really nice on the A7RII. I used it regularly until I got the Zeiss 16-35mm FE f4, which I really love.
Good luck
Dave in NJ

al2002

Thanks for your input benroy.

I have a number of Maxxum lenses. Besides the zoom I have a 24/2.8, 50 mm Macro, 85/1.4 and a Tamron tele zoom (zoom range and aperture withheld to protect the guilty). A typical 1990's amateur outfit, perhaps?

I went digital with Nikon DSLRs several years ago and just don't care for the size and weight penalty compared to film cameras. I am now thinking of getting one of the Sony bodies, most likely an A7 II, and intend to use my old Maxxum lenses with the Sony adapter for a while to see if I can live with the A7 series.

benroy

Subscriber Member
You will not only survive, you will flourish...the AF adapter is a bit clumsy, but the lenses are first rate and well worth the trouble. Enjoy.
Try the 100/2 and the 200/2.8 and you won't turn back.

Roy Benson