The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

the 25mm Zeiss Batis f/2 vs. the 28mm Sony f/2 - Round one......FIGHT!

Lucille

Now this comparison isn't scientific by no means, maybe I will revisit this with some more controlled shots using the same body on a tripod to try and ensure the exact same angle.

Rather these images are simply how I would use these lenses shooting the same scene in the real world. I did try and frame/compose them in a similar manner.

the Batis has the benefit of being mounted on the A7R II while the lowly Sony 28mm was mounted on the A7S so there is a resolution difference in the camera sensors giving the Batis a
advantage however I just love the file from the A7S, in fact when I am using the 55mm Zeiss f/1.8 I prefer how it renders on the A7S body, it sorta has a medium format feel to its output.

1st up, shot with the A7R II and 25mm Batis:

2nd up, shot with the A7S and 28mm Sony:

jrp

Hard to tell from this sample. I would expect the Sony to be better centrally, stopped down at least, but the Batis more even across the field, and merely excellent centrally.

iiiNelson

I give a healthy edge to the Batis but the 28 isn't bad especially when you consider price difference.

uhoh7

The first two have a totally different frame, impossible to compare.

Second two I think is a complete tossup, but that really doesn't say much.

The most fundamental metric of lens performance is sharpness across the frame, both close in, and at infinity, and at the major stops, i.e. f/2/ f/4 5.6 and f/8.

It's not really all that hard to shoot a set like that on a photo walk with both lenses. All you need are two good vantage points. Would be very interesting, I think :)

To me, the least valuable test is with a lens WO and the subject only in the central frame, which of course you see over and over on the photo blogs, with the caveat "this is not scientific" or something like that. It's so easy to shoot a decent test if you go out in the world (not in your house or yard, or indoors), compared to all the time it takes to make some of those blog posts, I often wonder why the person (not you) does not just take the time to make a really useful set. I don't think you need a tripod. But you do need edges and a corner or two. :)

Bryan Stephens

Workshop Member
I find it interesting to see how each lens renders their colors

I find try comparing the front bumper of the car in the second set, the Batis to trend more to the blue side, and the Sony looks like it trends more towards the red.

Then again, it may be my monitor.

Overall, I prefer the rendering from the Batis but not by all that much.

dmward

I am a raw shooter. i.e. I always have my camera set for raw capture and only rarely add JPG capture.

For a lens comparison, getting the camera to render a jpg is probably the best way to get close to an apples to apples comparison.

I also agree that the most useful test subject for a lens comparison is something that offers detail throughout the frame at approximately the same focal distance.

All that said. I know from experience that the Batis is an outstanding performer. Worth, at least to me the difference in price when compared to the Sony 28. I owned both, and preferred the Batis.

Lucille

This is fun for me, I'll do some more shots very soon. This post is for fun and not meant to be a perfect comparison, rather it is for me and my shooting and how I use a lens in the real world, corner to corner sharpness means nothing to me as I never have my subject in a corner. I buy fast glass for a reason, and that's to shoot wide open. Now again I stress the words 'for me', and I realize my needs wont be the same as others, if other want extreme corner sharpness then that is great, for them.

This thread will compare the overall image and rendering from each lens and which one produces the more pleasing image with my shooting style.

I have long said that the Sony 28mm is damn good, and IMO, if you can't afford a Batis or even find one for that matter, consider the 28mm. With that said I prefer the look of the Batis 25mm, it has the pop I like and I think it has more detail but that might be due to being on the A7R. next rounds I'll put the Batis on the A7S and the Sony 28mm on the A7R II.

Lucille

Lucille

One thing that has my attention with the Batis is its ability to get close to your subject, and when shot wideopen produce a creamy background that rivals longer fast focal length lenses.

In this regard the Batis kicks the 28mm to the curb. The Batis has a magic that gives me that Rx1 feel/look.

Here is where some magic happens with the Batis at 25mm f/2:

Incredible sharpness and a creamy background......

jim251

One thing that has my attention with the Batis is its ability to get close to your subject, and when shot wideopen produce a creamy background that rivals longer fast focal length lenses.

In this regard the Batis kicks the 28mm to the curb. The Batis has a magic that gives me that Rx1 feel/look.

[snip]

Absolutely, totally agree...

Pradeep

Yup, the Batis wins. Hard to tell from web images about sharpness etc, but easy to see how a wider lens for this type of shot makes all the difference. 3mm is a lot. And when you have a super sharp lens with a fast aperture, it's just so much sweeter.

The Ute

I've owned both of these lenses.
I currently own the Batis 25.
For the money you can't beat the 28mm.
As mainly a Landscape shooter the extra 3mm is much appreciated.
Thanks for the comparison.

ltnmzh

Here is where some magic happens with the Batis at 25mm f/2:

Amazing picture!

My Batis 25 has arrived. When I tried it, one corner produced slightly sharper image. I'm not sure it's my camera, the lens or probably my testing techniques. So Lucille, do you mind do some tests while you are at it?

Thanks

Lucille

Amazing picture!

My Batis 25 has arrived. When I tried it, one corner produced slightly sharper image. I'm not sure it's my camera, the lens or probably my testing techniques. So Lucille, do you mind do some tests while you are at it?

Thanks

Thank you for the compliment.

I honestly don't know how to test for this, every lens I have ever shot with could have this issue, and I just keep shooting.

Lucille

Amazing picture!

Thanks

I just shot this image of my sons car and when I view it in full resolution the taillights seem just as sharp on both sides of the image.

dmward

HERE is a gallery of images I made last August at the Geneva Concours. They were all shot with the Batis 25. The backgrounds of the composited images where shot with a variety of lenses.

Lucille

Round 3 FIGHT..........

1st up the Batis now being shot on the A7S:

A7S, 25mm Batis f/2, ISO50, 1/4000sec

2nd the 28mm Sony now being shot on the A7R II:

A7R II, 28mm f/2, ISO50, 1/2000sec

Lucille

Round 4 .........FIGHT!

1st up the 25mm Batis on the A7S:

A7S, 25mm f/2, ISO50, 1/2500sec.

2nd up the Sony 28mm on the A7R II:

A7R II, 28mm f/2, ISO50, 1/2000sec