The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with a6300

ohnri

I am picking up mine in 3 days.

This camera is going to open doors for me with its fast frame rate and super AF. I have been shooting sports with my NX1 and my Sony A7r2 but now, for action shots, I will replace both of those with the amazing a6300.

It is going to be super with the 70-200/4 or the 70-200 GM.

I'll be trying it right away with my 70-400 G2 and Le-ae3 adapter.

It should also be first rate with the Sigma MC-11 and some of the insane Sigma glass.

Early low light video tests look unexpectedly strong as well.

The a6300 is, in some ways, more of an all arounder than even the A7r2.

Pity they didn't make it a hair bigger and put in IBIS.

-Bill

ohnri

One day to go!

Tomorrow I will start comparing the a6300 to my FF Sony's.

I am also interested in seeing how it stacks up against my Samsung NX1.

Exciting times.

-Bill

ohnri

Wow. The a6300 is my new favorite camera.

First, it is tiny. If you are used to the A7x2 series, as I am, the a6300 is a much smaller package. It is just that kind of difference where it fits easily into spaces that were a bit tight on my A7r2.

Second, speed, speed, speed. It focuses fast. It focuses accurately. It tracks a lot of things really well. It shoots 8 fps with essentially perfect EVF viewing. It focused very fast when shooting video. It is seriously impressive.

Third, Eye Detect AF. Nuff said.

Fourth, you can use the 4 way controller to move the AF point without pushing a button first. Sweet.

What don't I like on day one?

It takes too long to clear the buffer and the buffer is too small. Sony, just put a decent size buffer in a camera to prove you can do it, please.

Not enough custom buttons. I am used to the A7x2 bodies.

High ISO is not as good as the A7s2.

It is hard to see the EVF in bright light. I had trouble getting my eye in the best position to block the annoying, life-giving sunshine. This may be something I get more adept at as I use the camera for more than one day.

It does not have IBIS. My forthcoming 85mm GM does not have OSS. What? Sony? Really? How will I shoot smooth handheld video with the sure to be earth shattering 85 GM and the super fast focusing a6300? Sony, why, why, why??

Today I only shot it with the 70-200/4 FE. Fits great. Works more than great.

This tiny camera rocks hard.

-Bill

iiiNelson

Any chance you pick up a Sigma 30/1.4 along with it? Seems like a great walk around one lens combo for street.

ggibson

Thanks for the report on the A6300. I pretty much expected all of the negatives that you mention. Most of all lack of IBIS bums me out.

But I'm pleased to see your positive reports on the camera. Did you have an A6000 to compare it to? How's the A6300 at low-light focusing?

ohnri

Any chance you pick up a Sigma 30/1.4 along with it? Seems like a great walk around one lens combo for street.
I am not familiar with the Sigma but if it can maintain the great AF of the native lenses then I am sure it would be great for street shooting.

I will be trying my Sony 35/1.4 soon though.

_Bill

ohnri

Thanks for the report on the A6300. I pretty much expected all of the negatives that you mention. Most of all lack of IBIS bums me out.

But I'm pleased to see your positive reports on the camera. Did you have an A6000 to compare it to? How's the A6300 at low-light focusing?
I will be trying low light focusing soon.

Today I shot only with the 16-35/4 FE and it is a wonderful combination. If you are facile in moving between the different Sony focus modes it is hard to imagine an easier to handle and faster focusing camera with such high IQ.

I was mostly with my family today and was able to get pretty much any shot I wanted any time I wanted it. Group, individual, stationary or fast moving. Boom, no problem. We were indoors all day today and I didn't shoot at all after dark but I will this weekend.

-Bill

ohnri

what is the highest ISO you find usable that is print worthy?
I haven't printed anything yet but certainly ISO 2500 looks good and ISO 12,800 is for getting an image.

I did shoot in some lower light today. The 16-35 FE locked on quickly and accurately at EV 3. However, I didn't shoot any action at EV 3.

Later, I did shoot some action sequences at EV 9 with the 70-200/4 and the a6300 locked on tight and held on like an angry tick. Excellent performance.

I also did a couple of quick and dirty videos to compare the a6300 to the A7s2, both with the 16-35 FE. I did not find any notable difference in camera shake between the two. I think the OSS alone is about as good as OSS plus IBIS for stabilizing casual handheld video. I may be wrong on this point but that is my first impression. Of course, the A7s2 is a lot smoother than the a6300 with a non-stabilized lens.

The a6300 focuses a ton faster in video than the A7s2 though. Really, it is just a boatload and a truckload faster.

The a6300 is looking like an excellent camera for the vast majority of shooting situations.

-Bill

ohnri

Thanks for the update.
As yer man said; anyone out there with an a6000 too to compare with?
Sorry, no a6000 here.

Yesterday, I was up before sunrise to launch the kids on a ski trip and I used the a6300 to create a little slide show of the experience.

With only the 35/1.4 FE I was able to get plenty of shots in that kind of darkness that envelopes all pre-dawn car trips.

A couple of tricky shots required MF which I found to be essentially identical to using MF on my A7r2, which is to say easy and accurate.

Otherwise, it was AF the whole way, mostly with the wide area selection.

Yes, the A7 series would give cleaner files but the a6300 captures the moment with more certainty. Lightroom NR worked well and a computer presentation that was all about content and getting the moment was a lot of fun.

-Bill

seb

...Lightroom NR worked well and a computer presentation that was all about content and getting the moment was a lot of fun.

-Bill
Ok, now to the fun part for us with adding some pictures? ;)

Last edited:

jim251

Well, I thought I was gonna be able to resist this camera but I guess not. I figure if the speed and focusing performance on my favorite kinds of moving subjects doesn't appreciably exceed the 7R2 then I can just flip it down the line. I'm hoping for the best though - I have used-not-owned the A6000 a few times and really liked it. Great form factor.

Anyhow, this was taken through the window from where I opened the box...

Magnolia In Bloom

A6300, FE70-200, f4, ISO 2500

Rawfa

I'm very interested in finding out if PDAF is supported using the Metabones Speedbooster. How amazing would that be if it worked! This would basically mean you would have the smallest full frame camera with the fastest mirrorless AF. Sure, it cannot match high iso with a REAL full frame, but still.

ggibson

I'm very interested in finding out if PDAF is supported using the Metabones Speedbooster. How amazing would that be if it worked! This would basically mean you would have the smallest full frame camera with the fastest mirrorless AF. Sure, it cannot match high iso with a REAL full frame, but still.
Interesting thought. Is AF speed the primary downside to using the speedboosters? What lens would you pair it with to keep it to a reasonable size also? A 50/1.4?