The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony Wireless Lighting Control System

iiiNelson

Apparently Sony has quietly announced a wireless TTL lighting control system complete with MIS receivers to attach other lights to. It'll be able to sync up to 1/250th of a second and provide HSS as well. Looks like it may be decent if it works with other non-Sony products. It would be nice if they were able to control and adjust other Studio lighting from popular brands like Profoto, Elinchrom, Bron, Hensel, Bowens, etc.

Sony Announces Development of New Wireless Lighting Control System at WPPI 2016. And new HX80 announced too! | sonyalpharumors

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Yea things are getting very interesting on flash systems these days with Godox, Nissin coming out with new product. I would maybe best suited to go all Godox since i already have 3 AD 360 setups if all i have to do is add new flash shoes or something like that. Looks like we have a lot of reading to do. Im happy to see David working with Godox as that maybe some real insight to what they are doing and have to see what these Sonys are up too.

iiiNelson

Yea things are getting very interesting on flash systems these days with Godox, Nissin coming out with new product. I would maybe best suited to go all Godox since i already have 3 AD 360 setups if all i have to do is add new flash shoes or something like that. Looks like we have a lot of reading to do. Im happy to see David working with Godox as that maybe some real insight to what they are doing and have to see what these Sonys are up too.
Don't forget there's the Phottix Odin II shipping either later this month or early next month as well. Looks like Sony and the amount of attention the FE mount is getting made others pay attention. This is a good thing although truthfully if Profoto made an AirTTL-S I'd probably just invest it a B1/B2 location system for my occasions flash needs then rent the other stuff as needed since most places keep their stuff around anyway.

dmward

Guy,
Just to be sure you understand the situation:
You currently have AD360 lights. They can be used in Manual mode with the new X1 controller by changing to the new XFT-16 receivers.

To get ETTL you need to have the AD360II lights that have ETTL firmware included.

dmward

The Sony announcement adds another option.
The release, as summarized in the post leaves a lot of questions.
Supposedly it offers TTL ("automatically")
The 5 groups are nice.
Will it work with non-Sony TTL speedlites?
Will the receivers work with non-Sony monolights in Manual mode?
How does it increase x sync to 1/250 for full fame cameras that currently have a slower sync speed or is the 1/250 just a marketing reference to the crop sensor cameras?

We'll have to wait to see.

iiiNelson

The Sony announcement adds another option.
The release, as summarized in the post leaves a lot of questions.
Supposedly it offers TTL ("automatically")
The 5 groups are nice.
Will it work with non-Sony TTL speedlites?
Will the receivers work with non-Sony monolights in Manual mode?
How does it increase x sync to 1/250 for full fame cameras that currently have a slower sync speed or is the 1/250 just a marketing reference to the crop sensor cameras?

We'll have to wait to see.
I'd assume that it provides x-sync UP TO 1/250 per second. Most of the cropped sensors have 1/160 or 1/200 of a second max sync I believe. The rest are the big questions but I assume the answer is to provide options for Sony products though I hope that's not the case. I don't see myself buying Sony speed lights.

dmward

I don't see myself buying Sony speed lights.
I agree.
With the Phottix, Godox and Nissin options, there is little reason to invest in Sony speedlites.

The Godox system offers the greatest range, considering the announced products. Presuming they deliver as promised. Phottix is probably next because they have the Indra as well as the Mitros + (sp?) along with the Odin II.

Nissin is a nice systems if you only need speedlites.

The one advantage Phottix may have is the ability for the Motros + to be an on-camera flash and controller combination.

dmward

I completely missed this option before from Elinchrom. It looks like another great option once the Sony version is released this year.

https://fstoppers.com/gear/elinchrom-announces-new-skyport-hi-sync-capability-91998
If one uses Elinchrom and has compatible units then its a useful resource.
Hi-Sync is the optimized FP-sync timing to take advantage of the tail of the flash burst but still useful.

Having true FP-sync capabilities via TTL and HSS is preferable in my view.

iiiNelson

If one uses Elinchrom and has compatible units then its a useful resource.
Hi-Sync is the optimized FP-sync timing to take advantage of the tail of the flash burst but still useful.

Having true FP-sync capabilities via TTL and HSS is preferable in my view.
From what I understand in reading the article is that the ODS allows you to optimize and adjust when the flash happens so that you get most of the flash in a single burst UP TO 1/8000 of a second. The Sony controller should allow TTL as well just like the Canon and Nikon versions.

I like the options coming out for Sony. It may be time for Elinchrom to revamp their strobe lineup as well.