Site Sponsors

Thread: A900, the outdoor cam (Paris Dakar)

nautilus

A900, the outdoor cam (Paris Dakar)

That picture hurts in my heart, A900 + Zeiss Zoom totally covered with dirt. How could someone do that to such a sensible designed CZ lens? I would never do that.

More nice pictures can be found on several pages:

http://www.swiatobrazu.pl/sony_dslr_...e_dakar.html,2

Some look really good.

Goldencode

Re: A900, the outdoor cam (Paris Dakar)

Good God...there's $4500 encrusted in dust and dirt

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hopefully he got some damn nice shots from it.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That sure makes me feel like a weenie for babying the camera. I'm off to the tar pits!

Post Thanks / Like

If you have ever covered something like an outdoor equestrian event, the dust is almost as thick. I have routinely come back to my truck with everything a uniform tan color from the dust, me included. Hard to escape it. The rain on the camera is also familiar, especially down here in the Texas swamp during rainy season. The A900 and the Zeiss 24-70 look like they held up, from what the guy reports, and that is very good news. As I mentioned in another note, it sure would be nice for Sony and Zeiss to talk a bit more about just how weather sealed their stuff is/is not. I think the folks that took the gear to Antarctica were probably pleased, but after a lot of nervousness until they saw things keep working. It would be nice to have some good knowledge beforehand from the manufacturers as to what it can/cannot take, rather than spending and finding out the hard way. Not complaining....just wishing for a bit more data/info. If the A900 is that sealed, Sony should be telling folks that. If the Zeiss lenses can hold up to that much dust and moisture, that would be nice to know also. And then there is the link between lens and camera. At least I can see the rubber gaskets on my Canon L lenses, and I know they stop a lot.

LJ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I had the opportunity to shoot Baja Mil, the offroad race from Ensenada down to the southern tip of Baja California, in November 2006. Standing about 5 meters from the road, My D2X with 80-200/2.8D got a lot dustier than the A900 in the link above. I was very careful with covering the lens front (and my eyes), apart from that the dust fell where it fell.

Monochrome: http://mochro.com