The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Firmware updates available for several A cameras

dmward

HERE is link to the page on Sony Rumors with links to pages for each camera with update.

I loaded the updates into A7II and A7RII all went well. Suggestion is that PDAF works better with L3 adapter. I have one with a Tamron 150-600 and it did seem to help.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Updated on A7rII all is well. Maybe just maybe my Batis 85 is faster. Sigma/Metabones all works as usual.

Jim DE

Well there always is one... guess it's my turn.

I did the update and all went well without a hiccup but my focus searches more now with my 90mm macro far more than before... using CF and indoors at apertures from 5.6-8 it gets close to focus then goes spastic(like it sometimes did from 7.1-8 when it was in-between both focus modes) and never locks a focus till you move to a much lighter area with contrast. On SF it is better but still far worse than it was prior to the update.

Now this is in indoor lighting at night using iso 100..... exposure times are from 1/30 to several seconds.

Guess I am stuck with this till the next update........ I'll be calling them tomorrow.

dmward

Well there always is one... guess it's my turn.

I did the update and all went well without a hiccup but my focus searches more now with my 90mm macro far more than before... using CF and indoors at apertures from 5.6-8 it gets close to focus then goes spastic(like it sometimes did from 7.1-8 when it was in-between both focus modes) and never locks a focus till you move to a much lighter area with contrast. On SF it is better but still far worse than it was prior to the update.

Now this is in indoor lighting at night using iso 100..... exposure times are from 1/30 to several seconds.

Guess I am stuck with this till the next update........ I'll be calling them tomorrow.
Jim,
I've found that the focus area selected had an impact on focus responsiveness in low light.
I don't think its a shutter speed thing. I think its just getting the most photons possible to the photo sites. That's why wider aperture lenses work better even if the shooting aperture is stopped down. Since they focus at maximum aperture.

Jim DE

I have seen this reaction before in this camera but it was at F8 and the camera was in sort of a state of confusion as to which focus mode to use. So you get a occelating image in the viewfinder when it is at that point. Since the update this point of confusion appears from f5.6 to f8. Below that it's fine. Above that it is also fine. Just in that aperture range in lower light less contrast locations it is like a7rII on drugs time.

I have not tried a different lens yet to see if that changes things. I had the 90 on the body during the firmware upgrade.

I will contact the mgr of pro support today on this as it could be a issue they need to address or just a hiccup my processor had during the process. It is annoying when it occurs but I can workaround it as well. I don't use CF all that often on this camera anyway. I just happened to be in that mode because just prior I was playing with the LAEA3 and 70-400 with birds. Something I use my a77II for anyway.

dmward

I have seen this reaction before in this camera but it was at F8 and the camera was in sort of a state of confusion as to which focus mode to use. So you get a occelating image in the viewfinder when it is at that point. Since the update this point of confusion appears from f5.6 to f8. Below that it's fine. Above that it is also fine. Just in that aperture range in lower light less contrast locations it is like a7rII on drugs time.

I have not tried a different lens yet to see if that changes things. I had the 90 on the body during the firmware upgrade.

I will contact the mgr of pro support today on this as it could be a issue they need to address or just a hiccup my processor had during the process. It is annoying when it occurs but I can workaround it as well. I don't use CF all that often on this camera anyway. I just happened to be in that mode because just prior I was playing with the LAEA3 and 70-400 with birds. Something I use my a77II for anyway.
I'll give my camera a try in that range and see what happens.
Thanks for the details.