The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma 24-35 F2/ Sigma 35 1.4 Plus many comparison lens tests

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Just found this little gem the Sigma 24-35 F2 at 24mm F2. Ignore the vignetting thats a hood that I started with that was to long

I did this handheld

markhout

Guy - Thanks again for the VERY useful postings. I ordered the 24-35 last week from Ritz Camera and compared it to my Sigma 35mm 1.4. Unfortunately the lens did not test well. Focusing wide open did not work out the way I expect a pro lens to focus - and even in focus in my tests the 35mm 1.4 was way sharper wide open than the 24-35 @ 35 wide open.

Stopping the zoom down to 5.6 improved somewhat. It felt like my D800E had difficulty locking focus with the zoom wide open - not so with the 1.4. Wide open, it would focus past the focal point, move back again past the focal point and only in the third instance find the correct focus.

I reset the 24-35 with the Sigma dock but that didn't help.

For fun I also compared the 24-35 @ 35 to my RX1R. The RX1R has better brilliance, but nothing that can't be helped in post.

Will get a replacement soon, I hope.

BTW - the 24-35 lens is yuuuge!