The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony Alpha MIS Strobe/Flash Options

dmward

I got a AD600BTTL today, but it doesn't have the updated firmware. Trying to figure out how to do that now. No device at all is detected when I plug it into the USB port.
What version firmware. V2.2 is latest.
There is, apparently, a driver required so that Windows will recognize the device.
I'm just learning this. I'm a Mac user and had to buy my first in about 10 years Windows computer.

dmward

HERE is first installment of my evaluation of the Sony variant Godox X System. This page includes the TT685s and the AD600TTL.

More to come. :D

SamSS

Thanks everybody. Very informative thread.

I have a question for Mr. dmward.
Would the original power cable of the AD360 with its power pack fits directly on the new speedlite TT685's external power port?

dmward

Thanks everybody. Very informative thread.

I have a question for Mr. dmward.
Would the original power cable of the AD360 with its power pack fits directly on the new speedlite TT685's external power port?
No. It has to be a cable intended for a Canon speedlite.
The original AD360 plug, while similar is different.

JMaher

David,

Thanks for the informative write-up. I have been away for a few weeks and am just catching up. The new lights look very interesting.

Jim

dmward

David,

Thanks for the informative write-up. I have been away for a few weeks and am just catching up. The new lights look very interesting.

Jim
They are Jim.

I got a call Friday, a beta Sony X1Ts and TT680s are going to get to me Tuesday or Wednesday. So, more will be known by end of next week.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I need to sit down and read without being interrupted every 5 seconds. Looks like 3 in the morning it is for me

JMaher

They are Jim.

I got a call Friday, a beta Sony X1Ts and TT680s are going to get to me Tuesday or Wednesday. So, more will be known by end of next week.
Looking forward to hearing more. If they all work well today might sell some of other stuff and consolidate with Godox. A 360II looks promising. The AD600BTTL sounds good but might be too heavy for a carry around kind of product. Sounds like it would need heavier stands, etc.

dmward

Looking forward to hearing more. If they all work well today might sell some of other stuff and consolidate with Godox. A 360II looks promising. The AD600BTTL sounds good but might be too heavy for a carry around kind of product. Sounds like it would need heavier stands, etc.
I was surprised when I took the AD600 out of its box. Its smaller than I thought.
The BTS shot I included shows two of them, one on an 8 foot Calumet stand and the other on an 8 foot Cheethstand. The one on the Calumet stand has the silver Cheetah foldable beauty dish on it. I thinks about 30" octa. The other has the small Glow octa from Adorama.

They would be a more stable on a 10 foot stand. I'm looking forward to the remote head. That should be perfect for 10 foot stands on location.

dmward

I would like at least one a360 II
The 360 IIs are probably enough light for most situations. I got the two 600s because they have the sequencing feature. I may just go ahead and get two more rather than wait and wonder if its going to be added to the rest of the X system.

I'm also impressed with the AD600 build. Its smaller than I thought it would be. There is only about $200 difference between the TTL AD600 and the AD360 which is only TTL. For manual flash applications I have 3 AD360s and 4 v850s, which, with the XTR-16 and 16s work into the system without a problem.

I'm looking forward to testing the capabilities of the X1Ts. If it can control 4 or 5 groups in TTL then its going to be really fun working out configuration options for lighting schemes.

dmward

HERE is another installment.
Did some quick testing to see what kind of power is required when using the AD600TTL for fill flash outside on a sunny day.

rjp85

Hi guys, I found this thread and wanted to chime in about the Interfit S1 strobes ( http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1191169-REG/interfit_ints1_s1_ac_dc_hss_ttl.html ) and Sony cameras (No, I don't work for Interfit, lol).

Right now, they have TTL/HSS remotes for Canon and Nikon cameras, that allow TTL, HSS, and power adjustments from the camera.

I emailed them and asked if they work with Sony, and they said no, but here's what else he said:

"I can say that our engineers have developed a Sony HSS/TTL remote and are in the testing phase now to ensure compatibility with all of the new Sony mirrorless cameras."

So I'd say that's good news for Sony users. Just wanted to share that info.

dmward

Hi guys, I found this thread and wanted to chime in about the Interfit S1 strobes ( http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1191169-REG/interfit_ints1_s1_ac_dc_hss_ttl.html ) and Sony cameras (No, I don't work for Interfit, lol).

Right now, they have TTL/HSS remotes for Canon and Nikon cameras, that allow TTL, HSS, and power adjustments from the camera.

I emailed them and asked if they work with Sony, and they said no, but here's what else he said:

"I can say that our engineers have developed a Sony HSS/TTL remote and are in the testing phase now to ensure compatibility with all of the new Sony mirrorless cameras."

So I'd say that's good news for Sony users. Just wanted to share that info.
Its always good to see that manufacturers are taking Sony TTL seriously.

dmward

I have the remote head ordered. That's what I plan to use with 10 foot stands.
The light, with a reasonable modifier will probably work on a 10 foot stand without too much risk.
I did try it on an 8 foot cheetah stand and it was way too risky. With just the head and a reasonable modifier it should work without risk.

JMaher

I have the remote head ordered. That's what I plan to use with 10 foot stands.
The light, with a reasonable modifier will probably work on a 10 foot stand without too much risk.
I did try it on an 8 foot cheetah stand and it was way too risky. With just the head and a reasonable modifier it should work without risk.
The remote head seems to be an option that makes this reasonably portable. I have a Rovelight 600 which I am selling because it is just to heavy for anything but a large and heavy stand on location. While the Godox is almost a pound heavier the remote head looks like you can move most of the weight down and balance it all a lot better. I would normally go for the 360 but the 600 might be the better option.

engardeknave

Not Available
So I do indeed have a bad USB port on my AD600B. Heads up--Ebay seller roushot_us/biligo_us is absolutely glacially slow to ship or respond to problems and doesn't appear to speak English.

dmward

So I do indeed have a bad USB port on my AD600B. Heads up--Ebay seller roushot_us/biligo_us is absolutely glacially slow to ship or respond to problems and doesn't appear to speak English.
That more or less is the case with most of the Chinese resellers, regardless of whether its EBay or Amazon.

You may want to contact Edward at Cheetahstand in Dallas. Its my understanding that he has made arrangements with Godox to provide warranty support for them in the US.

Especially, since you're in Dallas area.

dmward

Used AD600 on a job yesterday.
Did this portrait of the client with one of his toys to test TTL for fill with sun after the shoot.

dmward

I received a beta version X1Ts yesterday afternoon.
Did some testing this morning, then spent half an hour on a Video conference with Edward Tang and a couple of others going through the various capabilities to confirm that they work as expected.

The X1Ts supports 5 Groups. Any of the groups can be TTL or Manual. Once they are set, there is a feature that permits changing the power of all the groups. i.e. if two groups are TTL and two are Manual. Using the feature all can be increased or decreased in power. So, 1 EV up changes the TTL groups 1 FEC up and the manual groups I EV up.

I also determined that the FEC on the X1T and the FEC in the camera are additive. So, -3 EV on the X1Ts and + 3 EV on the camera are a 0EV exposure.

If camera FEC is adjusted with some groups in TTL and some in M only the TTL groups change.

The bad news, for me, is that the hot shoe on top of the X1Ts is only for center pin x sync. Its not a multi-function shoe. The good news it, that placing an X system speedlite in the shoe and assigning it to a Gr as a slave means it can be controlled by the X1Ts just like any other slave.

More to come when I have a chance to write it all up and put it on my site.

Last edited: