The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony Alpha MIS Strobe/Flash Options

dmward

HERE is the third installment. This one relates to the X1Ts controller/trigger.

The only element of the Godox line that I haven't tested is the new AD360II TTL bare bulb flash. I don't plan on buying one until I know for certain that Godox is going to incorporate the sequencing feature either in the AD360 or in a controller/trigger that will work with all the lights in the system.

In summary, its a complete system that delivers capabilities beyond anything available from any other manufacturer of which I'm aware.

dmward

There is an additional strobe option in the Godox X system that has been overlooked during our discussion of the battery powered lights.
The recently announced QT600II. Based on the little that is available on the Godox site it will have TTL capabilities, along with Masking feature. The model number suggests its a 600Ws AC powered strobe.

dmward

HERE is a summary of the Godox X system components that I added to my site to help organize one's thinking when evaluating the capabilities.

Enjoy!

dmward

Two Sony variant X1T controllers arrived today.
They were shipped from a source in China as soon as they were available there.
They have V12 firmware which is the same version firmware in the X1T I have been testing for Edward at Cheetah Stand. The positive result of that testing was Edward saying he would contact Godox to release the Sony variant X1T for production.

So, those who ordered from Amazon and other off shore sources, check to see that V12 firmware is installed in the Sony variant X1T and you should be good to go.

dmward

Here's another installment in my ongoing series evaluating the X system. This is a quickie with my thoughts about the CL600ET.

Great accessory.

There are also 1200Ws and 2400Ws versions listed for pre-order on Adorama's site. I have a question in to them about availability.

My sales contact in China is going to confirm when the 1200Ws version will be shipping. She said the 2400Ws version will be later.

I think one use for these multi-pack version is to set the UNIT/ALT feature so that a sequence of images can be made using the same tube/modifier. Thus, if one had 4 packs plugged into the 2400Ws version a sequence of for images could be made without having to wait for a pack to recycle. Coincidentally, the UNIT/ALT setting permit up to 4 in a sequence. Hmmmm.

dmward

For those wanting AC powered monolights that have Sony HSS capabilities Godox has introduced the QT600II/400II. They offer extremely short flash duration at lower power settings. They also offer HSS and are controlled by the X1T.

SamSS

Transmitter and 2 receivers came on Friday 29th with v12 firmware. (ordered on the 21th directly from CN)

SamSS

They're the XTR-16 + X1T-S
Just tested alright with the Flashpoint SL360

I also ordered 2x TT685S + Extra X1T-S but they said not ready for shipment sometimes this week.
I don't mind using TT685-S with AA battery since I already have the power pack of the AD360 for quick recycling.
Though, I might probably get one AD360 II version in a future.

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I have both portables and got them to work one on camera as the master and one off camera, so that works. I love that you can just go into HSS without doing anything. Just pick your poison. I'm waiting on transmitter and 3 receivers

dmward

Just in case anyone has been wondering about the Masking and sequencing capabilities.
I just saw a post from a photographer that is doing a lot of product development work with Godox and Cheetahstand. He indicated that Godox plans to implement the Masking and sequencing in special trigger that will, presumably, permit it to work with all the lights that can be triggered in Groups via the 2.4Ghz receivers.

That is a really big deal in my book.

Guy Mancuso

I have the Transmitter now and I got everything working on the portables but where I had trouble was setting up the transmitter and the 3 usb receivers to work with my non TTL AD360 units. I used c,d,e on the recievers but I'm not sure how you set the channels on them. I had channel 1 set on transmitter and I I thought 1 up on usb and the other 3 down. Now what mode to set on the AD360 was the other question. I got this pulsating strobe going off and not sure what was going on.

JMaher

Sam or Guy,

Who did you but your Sony transmitter from? Looking to get a Sony version but not really having any luck finding one that will ship quickly.

Jim

SamSS

I have the Transmitter now and I got everything working on the portables but where I had trouble was setting up the transmitter and the 3 usb receivers to work with my non TTL AD360 units. I used c,d,e on the recievers but I'm not sure how you set the channels on them. I had channel 1 set on transmitter and I I thought 1 up on usb and the other 3 down. Now what mode to set on the AD360 was the other question. I got this pulsating strobe going off and not sure what was going on.
Guy, that got me too the first time I've used.
For channel 1 that would be all dip switches down.

SamSS

Sam or Guy,
Who did you but your Sony transmitter from? Looking to get a Sony version but not really having any luck finding one that will ship quickly.
Jim
I didn't have a knack for quick ship but was lucky to get mine only in 8 days.

I bought it here....but first get a $2 coupon from their store front HERE
Then come over their product page listed for $72.99 HERE to make your purchase. $2 coupon will be applied at check out.

Guy Mancuso

Got both systems working perfectly as each system both the AD360 with trigger and the 685 system. Next hat trick is using both systems together. That would give me 5 total heads.

The 685s are a little finicky to work. I shot a casual wedding last night and I could not sync them up. Apparently the wireless icon was not showing up on the 685s. Still getting used to the system but I love how HSS mode is always there.

I would like to get at least one AD360II. That way I can have 3 heads doing HSS and TTL. Thanks for your help.

dmward

Got both systems working perfectly as each system both the AD360 with trigger and the 685 system. Next hat trick is using both systems together. That would give me 5 total heads.

The 685s are a little finicky to work. I shot a casual wedding last night and I could not sync them up. Apparently the wireless icon was not showing up on the 685s. Still getting used to the system but I love how HSS mode is always there.

I would like to get at least one AD360II. That way I can have 3 heads doing HSS and TTL. Thanks for your help.
Guy,
The on camera 685 is the master. It gets it settings from the M group.
The on-camera 685 is set to wireless by cycling trough the wireless options using the button on the right with a lightening bolt above it ; TTL, optical wireless, radio wireless. The mode button on the left then cycles the speedlite through the modes in each wireless category.

Any off camera 685 has to set to slave mode and select the group you want. That speedlite is then controlled from the master via that group. The group options include mode, TTL, M or disabled.

Guy Mancuso

Yea I had both 685s off camera and I did not have the wireless on . Now I got it figured out that you have to cycle through

Guy Mancuso

Okay I'm going to sell one AD360 and get a AD360II do I just buy a Canon one and use my trigger and usb

SamSS

I would suggest give it time as they're going to release the AD360IIS Sony's version.

I came across this new release for SONY - TT600S with MIS foot for $70.
It is very much the same as the Yongnuo 560 IV but with a side kick for the same price.
TT600S is fully manual flash, 2.4GHz built-in, compatible with X1T system.
The side kick is its HSS capability when used as off camera triggered with X1T, TT685s.

It's useful and inexpensive for spot/background lighting without the need of TTL. I'm going to order 2 tomorrow and retire a bunch of Yongnuo.