The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony Alpha MIS Strobe/Flash Options

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Maybe the AD 600bm I should get. There is a manual power unit I believe. So it sounds like I adjust that at the head .

dmward

Okay I'm going to sell one AD360 and get a AD360II do I just buy a Canon one and use my trigger and usb
Guy,
The AD360II has a built in X system radio. You do not need a USB unit.
The current version firmware support Sony if you are using the AD360 as a slave with a Sony X1Ts or TT685s or V680IIs as a controller.

Waiting for the Sony specific model number will mean that it has a base with a Sony multi-funcion hot foot.
Otherwise they are the same.

dmward

Maybe the AD 600bm I should get. There is a manual power unit I believe. So it sounds like I adjust that at the head .
Not sure what you mean here. The 600BM is a manual version. It is still controllable from the X1Ts controller. It will do HSS for Canon, Nikon or Sony. The remote head plugs into the unit in place of the flash tube which then plugs into the remote head. That means a small light weight flash head on the stand with the power pack at the base of the stand for support.

That's what I use as a default. Picture coming. Used it yesterday that way for a gig.

Guy Mancuso

Guy,
The AD360II has a built in X system radio. You do not need a USB unit.
The current version firmware support Sony if you are using the AD360 as a slave with a Sony X1Ts or TT685s or V680IIs as a controller.

Waiting for the Sony specific model number will mean that it has a base with a Sony multi-funcion hot foot.
Otherwise they are the same.
Okay so I can buy a Canon unit use my transmitter as i would never use this on a camera anyway. Its to heavy. Actually I took all my hot shoes off and put just the tripod plate on.

I think for now as I'm so happy with the 360 its the way to go also becuase I get 3 power packs that I can use 1 for the AD360 and the other 2 on my 685s outdoors

I shot this the other day with 2 685's and the transmitter on TTL and i just love having this but adding a TTL 360 would be awesome..

Attachments

dmward

Okay so I can buy a Canon unit use my transmitter as i would never use this on a camera anyway. Its to heavy. Actually I took all my hot shoes off and put just the tripod plate on.

I think for now as I'm so happy with the 360 its the way to go also becuase I get 3 power packs that I can use 1 for the AD360 and the other 2 on my 685s outdoors

I shot this the other day with 2 685's and the transmitter on TTL and i just love having this but adding a TTL 360 would be awesome..
Perfect. They you don't have to worry about which 360II you get. The firmware is the same. Its the base that makes it camera specific. I agree that it will never be on a camera I'm holding. :)

JMaher

Guy, that got me too the first time I've used.
For channel 1 that would be all dip switches down.
Sam, Thanks for the info - I meant to send this the other day. Reasonable price and I understand you got it quickly but they are now quoting 15-45 days and guaranteed in 60. I am hoping to get one a little sooner somewhere but having no luck. Hoping Adorama will let me know their time frame on Monday. I have the 600 sitting here but it's only a paperweight right now as I have no way to control it.

Jim

Guy Mancuso

Thanks David you confirmed my thinking. I listed one AD360 kit on the buy and sell its like new. Someone should grab it. Nice to have the manual one as well. End of day I will have 2 AD360, one AD 360II, 2 685s all using the same transmitter. Plus I have a lot of combination use.

Maybe I'll get a third 685 for interior travel work. Have three of them in a small travel bag with stands to check on aircraft

dmward

Here is the setup with the remote head.
The light was 1/16th power. light stand was 12 Feet from the Talent mark.
That's a big PLM soft silver. the reflector is what Cheetah called the Hub Cap. I had it drilled to permit mounting the umbrella. The hole isn't quite aligned so there is a bit of spill on the ceiling. Plan to fix that before the next use.

Here's what it looks like:

Two of my associates shooting the wedding. 1/200, F8, ISO 400.

dmward

Thanks David you confirmed my thinking. I listed one AD360 kit on the buy and sell its like new. Someone should grab it. Nice to have the manual one as well. End of day I will have 2 AD360, one AD 360II, 2 685s all using the same transmitter. Plus I have a lot of combination use.

Maybe I'll get a third 685 for interior travel work. Have three of them in a small travel bag with stands to check on aircraft
Guy, I have 4 of the V850 speedlites. They accept the XTR-16s receiver. They have the lithium battery so lots of pops, fast recycle and small. I use them a lot for small products and other stuff where lots of light isn't required.

With the S bracket they are easily interchangeable with the 360.

I think I'll sell one of my 360s. Haven't decided yet.

SamSS

Sam, Thanks for the info - I meant to send this the other day. Reasonable price and I understand you got it quickly but they are now quoting 15-45 days and guaranteed in 60. I am hoping to get one a little sooner somewhere but having no luck. Hoping Adorama will let me know their time frame on Monday. I have the 600 sitting here but it's only a paperweight right now as I have no way to control it.
Jim
That is bacically the same baseline shipping quote on my original order as well. It's matter of who actually has stock to get it shipped out and it seem that he does.

dmward

Here is an image from a shoot this afternoon.

Two 600s, one in a Cheetah collapsible silver beauty dish without diffusion. The light was about 3 feet from the model. Second light was behind the translucent white background bounced off the wall.

This was one of the lighting options I used to create a backlit look.

Another one:

Last edited:

dmward

You're going to get a kick out of this!
The MUA for whom I shot the images above sent me an email saying that she liked the look but wanted me to make images available without editing.

The ONLY thing I did to these images is fine tune the exposure, white balance and did about -25 clarity to tone down the mid-tone contrast.

Essentially, this is straight from the camera.

takomaru

David; thank you so much for your tests and samples; I've been following this post closely and your development and samples are just what I needed. Thank you kindly, Takomaru

Guy Mancuso

Looks really nice David and again thanks for taking the ball and running with this system. It's really helped me.

JMaher

That is bacically the same baseline shipping quote on my original order as well. It's matter of who actually has stock to get it shipped out and it seem that he does.
I decided to stop trying to find one I knew was in stock and ordered one from China last night. It says it has shipped but obviously it could be a long wait.

Jim

dmward

I decided to stop trying to find one I knew was in stock and ordered one from China last night. It says it has shipped but obviously it could be a long wait.

Jim
That's frustrating Jim.
Hopefully, since they are small and light, they will get here without too much delay via air mail.

That's how mine came.

David