The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony Alpha MIS Strobe/Flash Options

SamSS

Received 2x TT685S and 2x TT600S yesterday worked fine.

David,
I know you often in contact with Edward, can you check if Godox ever going to release the AD360II-S for Sony?
I'm not fond of having a big flash on camera but when push comes to shove on the move, having a powerful flash would be nice.

dmward

David,
I know you often in contact with Edward, can you check if Godox ever going to release the AD360II-S for Sony?
I'm not fond of having a big flash on camera but when push comes to shove on the move, having a powerful flash would be nice.
I'll check. I remember hearing that its in the pipeline.
Realistically, I'd use an X1Ts in the hotshoe and put a 360II on a bracket if I wanted one on camera.

I've worked with a couple of photographers that used Quantums on camera but always with a bracket.

I've not tested it but I think the X1Ts should fire a 360II on a bracket.

SamSS

Yes, I've one of those bracket but rarely used it. Don't know, I thought it looks kinda tacky on me :shocked::ROTFL:
I'll be the first in line to get one of that AD360II-S :thumbs:

I also ordered 2x of the latest version of V860II-S Li-ion and said would be shipped within the next day or two.

dmward

Yes, I've one of those bracket but rarely used it. Don't know, I thought it looks kinda tacky on me :shocked::ROTFL:

I also ordered 2x of the latest version of V860II-S Li-ion and said would be shipped within the next day or two.
I have two on order from Edward as well.
Those, along with the 4 600TTL units I have should work well for events. If they come up with a way to do Masking with the 360s I'll probably get a couple and sell my version one units.

- - - Updated - - -

I have two on order from Edward as well.
Those, along with the 4 600TTL units I have should work well for events. If they come up with a way to do Masking with the 360s I'll probably get a couple and sell my version one units.

Over the years I've learned how to use TTL effectively and having TTL capable lights is a real benefit for me.

dmward

David,
Here's what Scott replied:
"They are hoping July
They are waiting for all the feedback from the 860 sales"

I think the feedback he is referring to is stability of the firmware. So far its been good for me.

dmward

Got a different response from a source in China with direct ties to Godox. They said no Sony hot shoe for the 360II. The firmware is in the device to work with the X1Ts as a slave so that's how they plan to leave it according to this source.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Got a different response from a source in China with direct ties to Godox. They said no Sony hot shoe for the 360II. The firmware is in the device to work with the X1Ts as a slave so that's how they plan to leave it according to this source.
Well glad I did not wait for it on my Ad360II canon units. They work great with the Sony X1. I actually take the hot shoe off and put the tripod mount on. Fits in the bag better and I would never ever put these on a camera shoe camera. Might just rip it off the camera. To heavy for a camera

dmward

Well glad I did not wait for it on my Ad360II canon units. They work great with the Sony X1. I actually take the hot shoe off and put the tripod mount on. Fits in the bag better and I would never ever put these on a camera shoe camera. Might just rip it off the camera. To heavy for a camera
I think that's why. The Sony Multi-function foot is even more fragile than the Nikon or Canon hot feet.

iiiNelson

Well after all of some of my short notice traveling for the day job I will finally have a Priolite Sony HotSync kit to shoot this coming weekend. I received my Mola Bowens adapter on last Thursday, the SMDV Speedbox A-110 on Friday, the Mola Rayo is coming tomorrow, and I may go ahead and get a A7R2 by the end of the week to relegate my A7R almost solely to IR duties.

I've been trying to hold out on it but it may get to a point of it becoming my backup body should a A9 be released later this year.

dmward

Well after all of some of my short notice traveling for the day job I will finally have a Priolite Sony HotSync kit to shoot this coming weekend. I received my Mola Bowens adapter on last Thursday, the SMDV Speedbox A-110 on Friday, the Mola Rayo is coming tomorrow, and I may go ahead and get a A7R2 by the end of the week to relegate my A7R almost solely to IR duties.

I've been trying to hold out on it but it may get to a point of it becoming my backup body should a A9 be released later this year.
Will be interested to hear what you think of the Priorate kit.

JMaher

Also interested in your opinion of the A-110 softbox. I am curious about how it compares to the less expensive one they sell.
Jim

rjp85

I ordered two Priolite 500ws Hotsync units with Sony remote last week. They had a special Sony deal that saved me about $800 I believe. I decided to just pull the trigger. I don't want to deal with cords anymore. If I move to Canon or Nikon, I'll just switch remotes.

I don't have them yet. I think they shipped from Germany to Priolite North America, then after that, they'll be shipping to me on the East Coast. Will probably get them next week, but I have no idea. I'll know when they send tracking info...

iiiNelson

I ordered two Priolite 500ws Hotsync units with Sony remote last week. They had a special Sony deal that saved me about $800 I believe. I decided to just pull the trigger. I don't want to deal with cords anymore. If I move to Canon or Nikon, I'll just switch remotes.

I don't have them yet. I think they shipped from Germany to Priolite North America, then after that, they'll be shipping to me on the East Coast. Will probably get them next week, but I have no idea. I'll know when they send tracking info...
That sounds about right and it usually is a 2-3 week lead time for out of stock items. I'm on the East Coast too and received my tracking number yesterday. The test kit should be here on Thursday. If I do purchase after the testing then I will go with the 1000ws units due to the larger battery that allows almost double the amount of pops as the 500ws units at 500ws.

I have not used the A110 yet (just got it on Friday) but I got a pretty good deal on it. I don't have any other modifiers that large (besides my Westcott umbrellas) so I figured I'd go really large on the soft box. I almost went Ruth the 90 but couldn't pass up on the 110.

iiiNelson

Dont forget that they offer a Pentax remote as well and a Phase One remote is rumored to be in the works. Would be nice if they made a Fuji and Leica one as well.

dmward

I just did a sequencing test with the Godox (Cheetah, Adorama) 600BTTL. The A7RII is not a speed demon so this is probably not valid for sports shooters. :D

I always shoot uncompressed raw which limits buffer capacity in terms of shots in a burst. That's OK too, for me. My primary interest for this sort of thing is for getting some mild action from water skiers etc.

At low burst 4 lights kept up till the buffer was full at full power. At hi burst 4 lights kept up, with one miss, at 1/2 power. Two of the lights had batteries on them that had not been topped off since they arrived, so even though they showed full they may not have been as capability as they will be after being charged. It seems I've read that Lithium Ion batteries take a couple of charge cycles to reach full potential.

The half power also kept up at hi burst speed in HSS.

I'm not going to bother with uploading any pictures of Manny getting flashed. The only thing I was interested in determining was max power for the two burst modes on the A7RII. Getting the exposure right will depend on the shooting situation. The good news is that 1/2 power means a narrow beam reflectors means a reasonable light to subject distance is possible. Or being able to deal with the sun in a bright situation.

Last edited:

SamSS

The seller was very nice to upgrade my shipping to super fast DHL at no charge and gave a few diffusers as well. Nice!

V860II-S firmware 1.2

All versions of MIS from Godox

takomaru

HERE is an addition to my ongoing evaluation of the Godox AD600. Used it outside at a small park wedding for the couple shoots.
David; thank you forthe addition and updating on your blog. I started using Godox on my A7R after the Bangkok Photo Fair, where the 1st remote controllers where available for Sony, the end of November last year. I bought a small set of 360's, with the promise of the Commander Controller on the way in December. Here Godox is extremely cheap as is 100% availability of all their units and accessories. Since then, it has evolved quite fast, and through this thread, your blog and postings, I have developed quite a nice set up; I have replaced entirely my heavier and expensive on location system, and I am now very satisfied on how it's working; plus extremely cheap and very lightweight and portable.

Thank you kindly. Takomaru,

dmward

I probably should link this to my blog as well, HERE is a gallery of headshots I did for a Make Up Artist. She wanted some new images for her website and I wanted a chance to experiment with my AD600BTTL lights. Some were shot in her apartment with 2 AD600s. Some in M some in TTL. The others were shot a a boutique that sells traditional cloths. The boutique shoot was setup with three AD600BTTL strobes. Main, fill and hair light. These were done in TTL.