The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony Alpha MIS Strobe/Flash Options

jdphoto

My lights arrived yesterday. I'm still waiting on the hard case which should be in within the next week or 2.
Very interested in the Priolite MBX500HS. Let us know how they've performed for you. I had Hensel lights before and like that mount much more than my Elinchrom Quadra. Yes, the Priolite will be heavier and perhaps not as useful in less than ideal weather, (fan cooled equals moisture intrusion entry point), but full power sync on my A7MK2 with no cords and a more robust mount might make up the difference. Their kit price seems to include a controller with a 1000 feet of range at $1399. That's a pretty good price. I would have jumped on the Kickstarter campaign had I known about this light.

iiiNelson

Very interested in the Priolite MBX500HS. Let us know how they've performed for you. I had Hensel lights before and like that mount much more than my Elinchrom Quadra. Yes, the Priolite will be heavier and perhaps not as useful in less than ideal weather, (fan cooled equals moisture intrusion entry point), but full power sync on my A7MK2 with no cords and a more robust mount might make up the difference. Their kit price seems to include a controller with a 1000 feet of range at $1399. That's a pretty good price. I would have jumped on the Kickstarter campaign had I known about this light.
They lights perform great. If you're interested in the 500w lights then I'd look closely at the Ultras. You can still buy them (just not at Kickstarter prices) and they are really small. Less than a foot long from front to back. They light quality and consistency is excellent across the entire power range. I have not had any light sync issues and I've used them on both outdoor and indoor shoots. I own the 1000w models personally but I will more than likely add a couple of Ultras since they're easier to travel with.

jdphoto

They lights perform great. If you're interested in the 500w lights then I'd look closely at the Ultras. You can still buy them (just not at Kickstarter prices) and they are really small. Less than a foot long from front to back. They light quality and consistency is excellent across the entire power range. I have not had any light sync issues and I've used them on both outdoor and indoor shoots. I own the 1000w models personally but I will more than likely add a couple of Ultras since they're easier to travel with.
Do you have any indication when these will be ready to ship and who the North American dealers are? Thanks.

Mjlamott

Do you have any indication when these will be ready to ship and who the North American dealers are? Thanks.
It sounds like Kickstarter backers should start to see theirs soon. I went from impulsively wanting to pick one up to picking three up during the last possible minute that the Kickstarter price was available, so I'm eagerly awaiting their arrival. I've gotten the impression that they're backordered into November or December based on promotional emails from Priolite, and I also get the impression that they're just self-distributing at this point rather than having a network of dealers in the US.

jdphoto

It sounds like Kickstarter backers should start to see theirs soon. I went from impulsively wanting to pick one up to picking three up during the last possible minute that the Kickstarter price was available, so I'm eagerly awaiting their arrival. I've gotten the impression that they're backordered into November or December based on promotional emails from Priolite, and I also get the impression that they're just self-distributing at this point rather than having a network of dealers in the US.
Makes perfect sense... If there's no glitches on performance and the specs are accurate, then they won't need dealers. Thanks for the heads up!

iiiNelson

There are two authorized dealers in the USA. I generally deal more with the one in California but there's another one in Colorado.

I believe there are limited numbers of Ultras that have begun to ship late last month with more production happening through the end of the year. Keep in mind that Priolite is a relatively small company and it takes about 3-5 weeks for products to ship from Germany to arrive in the United States then onto the customer. This is due to the need to clear both German and US customs. They will function check the lights in the USA prior to shipping them to you as well though.

If youd prefer another product you can receive them potentially faster but id need to verify that. I think the Ultras are worth the wait though.

http://priolite.us/

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Have the new Godox portable with lithium battery for Sony. Is there a cable for connection to the AD360 packs

Have the new Godox portable with lithium battery for Sony. Is there a cable for connection to the AD360 packs
If its the same cable that I use for the 685s then its this one. It looks like they switched over to the canon connector.

https://www.amazon.com/Godox-Lithiu...F8&qid=1481125928&sr=8-1&keywords=pb-cx+godox

Although after looking at the Ving 860s (i think this is the one you're referring to) I don't see an external power port so you may be stuck with the internal solution.

Guy Mancuso

Yea I think I'm stuck. I ordered another lithium to have a backup. I was more concerned about speed but shot this morning and it kept up very fast

Guy Mancuso

I need a little help. I just bought a Flashpoint Rapid 600 R2 600 watt studio strobe and it works fine. My one issue when using the X1t-S transmitter is the buzz feature goes away but more importantly the modeling lamp goes out. Now this is the same unit as the Godox QT 600 II. Not sure if their is a firmware update for the X1t-s or the strobe itself. Besides that Im on a Mac and I think all their firmware is PC.

Guy Mancuso

Most certainly is the trigger. If I go test mode with trigger off buzz feature works and modeling lamp stays on . As soon as I use the trigger both go off.

I have the sony f43 flash and a f20 for wireless flash. Can I use these with the godox system? What about older minolta flashguns?

dmward

Most certainly is the trigger. If I go test mode with trigger off buzz feature works and modeling lamp stays on . As soon as I use the trigger both go off.
Guy,
Have you looked on the Godox site to see what the latest version Firmware is for the light and the trigger?

My guess is that the trigger was designed for the battery powered devices and now that they've added the AC powered lights they will have to update the firmware.

Make sure Adorama is aware of the problem. They seem to have some influence with Godox.
And, its their OEM version of the light.

dmward

I have the sony f43 flash and a f20 for wireless flash. Can I use these with the godox system? What about older minolta flashguns?
Not sure about older Minolta flash. The Godox X system and the Sony system are not the same technology and there is no interoperation with the possible exception of the optical triggering option.

fotografz

Yesterday morning I updated the firmware for my B1 and B2 units to add TTL and HSS because Profoto recently added a Profoto AIR-S Transmitter, (Sony TTL/HSS). I had to update the firmware on my Sony A7R-II also (it won't work without the new firmware!). Once everything is updated, it all works fabulously well ... total control of bright backgrounds outdoors using lighting gear I already have.

Then my friend came over in the afternoon to test it all in the brutal Florida sun. We did an acid test by shooting him out in the yard, backlit with the sun just barely out of the frame at 1/2500 shutter ... you literally could hardly look at the scene it was such a bright "white hot sky" background above/behind him. We did a second set-up of him and his little dog in a more normal backlit scene using 1/800 shutter for a bit more natural balance with a different background.

This was our initial exploration with just the little B2 unit ... next we are going to test the B1 alone, then the B2 and B1 together. Need to get various combinations and settings down pat before a real gig. Really want to do a Florida beach shoot with this new kit!!!

Much better than the HSS speed-light solution I've been using with the Sony A7R-II so far. Even the B2 is nearly 4X the available HSS pulse power, and when using the B1 as key and B2 as fill I'll have almost 8X the available power of two HSS speed lights for key and fill.

Attached examples: Sony A7R-II, ISO 100, Zeiss Batis 85/1.8 @ f/1.8, 1/2500 and 1/800th shutter ... Profoto AIR-S set to TTL (the camera needs to be set to "Wireless Flash", and it selects HSS), Profoto B2 with single head, small soft box. When TTL/HSS is used, the light automatically sets itself to maximum output (250W/s for the B2, 500W/s for the B1).

LOVE using lights while shooting wide open with the Sony and fast glass.

- Marc

_DSC5821.jpg

_DSC5810.jpg

iiiNelson

It seems that we can now map the live view settings effects menu as a function item in firmware 4.00 for the A7RII. Maybe this was available in a previous version but I updated from 3.10 to 4.00 so it's new to me. At this point I literally only have to jump into the main menu to format SD cards or change video settings when necessary.

iiiNelson

Can't say too much now but this is coming pretty soon.

https://photonicz.com/~launch/
Well the news is out the bag and the Kickstarter promotion has begun.

I've had to sit on the information for the better part of this year but the team has been hard at work with input from many photographers (to include both full time/part time, commercial, hobbyists, cinematographers, etc.) on a "wish list" of features to deliver what many believe is a unique product to the photographic community.

Highlights include:

Portable & weather sealed: Weight-saving aluminum alloy allows us to make PHOTONICZ ONE the smallest full-featured strobe on the market, and its unique weather sealing opens up new locations and shooting scenarios never-before possible (for example, rain or snow is no longer going to prevent you from using your strobes).
Unprecedented power: This tiny strobe can deliver thousands of full power flashes (equivalent to more than 2,500Ws under various conditions) on a single charge, with no need for AC power.
App-based touch screen interface: PHOTONICZ ONE eschews the traditional knobs and buttons for a modern touch screen interface complete with one-touch lighting setups and settings presets.
App-based remote: The PHOTONICZ REMOTE features an OLED display and built-in light meter that can automatically adjust exposure settings for you (see below for more on adding the optional remote to your backer package). The PHOTONICZ REMOTE can also connect to Android and iOS phones via an app for even more functionality.
Max-range wireless sync: PHOTONICZ ONE can wirelessly synch to your camera from up to a kilometer away (that’s roughly 3000 feet for us Americans), and can be triggered individually or as part of a group with more than a hundred strobes at very low latency.
Bowens-s compatible accessory mount: PHOTONICZ ONE is compatible with Bowens S-type speedring inserts, so if you already have modifiers, all you likely need is change your speedring insert and you are good to go.
Universal batteries: Powerful long-lasting v-lock batteries can power other gear as well as your PHOTONICZ ONE.
Lifetime software and hardware updates: Not only will you receive all the firmware updates for free, but our modular hardware design will allow us to offer upgrades to legacy hardware effectively extending the lifetime of your PHOTONICZ ONE well beyond your original purchase.
Never-Before-Possible Features Unlock New Creative Possibilities

While most photographers will be excited to shed the constraints of today’s traditional strobes and limiting LED solutions, the giant step forward we’ve taken with PHOTONICZ ONE also allowed us to build some truly exciting new features into the light, such as:
InstaCharge – Zero recycle time: With PHOTONICZ ONE’s InstaCharge capability, our strobe can fire as quickly as your camera can operate its shutter with zero recycle time, even at full power every time you‘d like.
TruePower – Unheard of high speed sync: PHOTONICZ ONE offers the world’s first TruePower feature allowing photographers to shoot at motion-stopping speeds up to 1/50,000th of a second across the strobe’s entire power range for crisp action-freezing images.
TrueSync – Native camera compatibility: Our TrueSync technology ensures that PHOTONICZ ONE can adjust its flash duration dynamically to the needs of your camera system, enabling communication with most Canon, Nikon, Sony, Pentax, Fuji, Panasonic, Olympus, Hasselblad, and PhaseOne cameras. Swapping between camera bodies in the middle of a shoot is now seamless, and if you ever change systems, all you’ll need is a new remote. It’s that simple.
PhotoniczSync – Built-in High Performance Wireless: Our proprietary 2.4 GHz RF system offers numerous redundancies to ensure maximum range and compatibility with the most demanding camera systems available today.
HSSPro – Next Gen High Speed Sync: Our ability to seamlessly control power and flash duration enables PHOTONICZ ONE to perfectly sync with the camera’s shutter at up to 1/32,000th of a second, resulting in the best possible exposure no matter what system you are using or what shutter speed you are shooting.
TruTTL – Actual TTL metering: PHOTONICZ ONE offers the world’s first TrueTTL, which eliminates the simulated pre-flash that other strobes require to deliver more accurate exposure results. Knowing how your images will look even before you take the shot will change how you work.
TrueBracket – Flash bracket multiple exposures: The world’s first TrueBracket technology allows shooters to bracket exposure with the strobe output rather than shutter speed, aperture, or ISO alone, which means no lag between exposures for crisp HDRs and much reduced post processing for images where you combine multiple bracketing approaches.
VariSpeed – Variable flash output: PHOTONICZ ONE’s VariSpeed can adjust the flash duration based on the shutter speed you select. Unlike traditional solutions which only enable the strobe to reduce flash duration at the cost of power output, VariSpeed can extend the flash duration, effectively contributing more artificial light to your exposure. This effectively raises the output equivalent to levels impossible to achieve with traditional technology.
VariShape & VariPattern – Customize light shape and emission patterns: With VariShape, if you can imagine a shape PHOTONICZ ONE can recreate that light pattern for creative lighting possibilities; while VariPattern allows complete control over the emission pattern of the LEDs.