The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Going to Munich. Any ideas?

ohnri

I will be in Munich for a few days next month. I thought possibly a few people here may have some thoughts about places to go, cameras to take, lenses to bring, food to eat or pretty much anything interesting.

-Bill

iiiNelson

I've only gone to Munich once and I was only there for one night. I can say from the parts that I saw there was a lot of potential for street photography.

It's a wonderful city. The English Garden (a very large park) is quite nice. There are several fabulous museums, my favorites being the Deutsches Museum and the three Pinakothek museums (Alte, Neue & Moderne). The Glockenspiel at new Town Hall (Neus Rathaus) is fun and photogenic.

ohnri

Take a Leica film camera. :)
Ha! I had not even considered it!

I have my father's Leica IIIa which I have been using for 50 years.

I also have a M3 which is easier to use. I use either a lovely DR Summicron or a beautiful late model 50mm Summicron which was made by Leica in a very limited number as a screw mount. And my beloved Noctilus f/1.

I was thinking just the A7r2 and 16-35 FE but possibly I will add one of the Leicas as I have never been to Germany.

There are spectacular museums in Munich as well as some of the most beautiful architecture.

But, what film to use? A delicious dilemma.

-Bill

ICHBINSpunktDE

I will be in Munich for a few days next month.
that's my hometown. ask me anything (ok, anything but couchsurfing *gg*) ;-)

I thought possibly a few people here may have some thoughts about places to go,
well, that depends... are you looking for landscape, architecture, people, history, etc.?

cameras to take, lenses to bring
same answer as any place in the world: the ones you have and are comfortable with.

food to eat or pretty much anything interesting. -Bill
first you have to understand one thing: in the bavarian understanding, beer is not just an alcoholic beverage, but staple food. So, beer it is. Mike mentioned Augustiner, which is an excellent one. You can't go wrong with "Schweinsbraten mit Knödel" (Roasted pork with dumplings), but may want to try Weißwürste (the famous white sausages, not every man's taste). Good bavarian restaurants downtown are "Ratskeller", "Weißes Bräuhaus" or "Hackerhaus"... or the "Augustiner Biergarten". If you're heading for the alps with a rental car, the Landgasthof in Hofolding might be on the way, they have very good and very big Schnitzels.

Mike mentioned the Oktoberfest, which is from september to early october... but its little brother, the "Frühlingsfest" is from april 15th to may 1st. The "Auer Dult", which is also nice, is from april 30th to may 8th.

If you're interested in going photographing together, just ask (but be warned: this April, I'm quite busy... so it might or might not work).

ohnri

that's my hometown. ask me anything (ok, anything but couchsurfing *gg*) ;-)

well, that depends... are you looking for landscape, architecture, people, history, etc.?

same answer as any place in the world: the ones you have and are comfortable with.

first you have to understand one thing: in the bavarian understanding, beer is not just an alcoholic beverage, but staple food. So, beer it is. Mike mentioned Augustiner, which is an excellent one. You can't go wrong with "Schweinsbraten mit Knödel" (Roasted pork with dumplings), but may want to try Weißwürste (the famous white sausages, not every man's taste). Good bavarian restaurants downtown are "Ratskeller", "Weißes Bräuhaus" or "Hackerhaus"... or the "Augustiner Biergarten". If you're heading for the alps with a rental car, the Landgasthof in Hofolding might be on the way, they have very good and very big Schnitzels.

Mike mentioned the Oktoberfest, which is from september to early october... but its little brother, the "Frühlingsfest" is from april 15th to may 1st. The "Auer Dult", which is also nice, is from april 30th to may 8th.

If you're interested in going photographing together, just ask (but be warned: this April, I'm quite busy... so it might or might not work).
Thank you for your wonderful response.

My schedule has just been finalized and I see that I am going to have precious little free time in your great city. It appears I will have but a single day to explore. I imagine I will go to one or two of the world class museums.

I expect to bring only my A7r2 with the 16-35/4. I might sneak another lens in with me but we are not checking any luggage and will be packing fairly light.

I will try to have some roasted pork with dumplings. That sounds mouth watering.

-Bill