Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 51 to 100 of 106

Thread: Sony 24-70 F2.8 GM Tests

  1. #51
    Subscriber Member tashley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South of England
    Posts
    3,295
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sony 24-70 F2.8 GM Tests

    Quote Originally Posted by Quentin_Bargate View Post
    I've cancelled my 24-70mm F/2.8 order. It's huge lens, I have the Zeiss F/4 variant already which is not perfect, but pretty decent and I don't want the risk of sample variation.

    I think I'm a prime man at heart. Less to go wrong. I will spend the money saved on a prime or two.
    Quentin, I do understand that and I'm also quite averse to size and weight and have a pretty good F4. But I can honestly say that this lens, when I get a good copy, will be a must-have. It is really, really, really good - like having a whole load of primes with you. Honestly.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  2. #52
    Senior Member Quentin_Bargate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Saffron Walden, UK
    Posts
    1,983
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    58

    Re: Sony 24-70 F2.8 GM Tests

    Quote Originally Posted by tashley View Post
    Quentin, I do understand that and I'm also quite averse to size and weight and have a pretty good F4. But I can honestly say that this lens, when I get a good copy, will be a must-have. It is really, really, really good - like having a whole load of primes with you. Honestly.
    Tim

    Noted, and I have been impressed by Guy's testing, but once you get a good copy, how do I know I will?

    These quality control issues have plagued lenses from most manufacturers for years. I tend to trust Zeiss more than most because every lens is supposed to be checked. My worst experiences have been with Nikon (a 120mm VR zoom lens) and with Sony Zeiss 24-70 F/2.8 ZA for a Sony A900 I used to own (replaced with a perfect copy that I still have, now gathering dust).

    I thus tend to trust primes more because they are less complicated (love my Loxia 21mm F/2.8 and G Master 85mm F/1.4), and often faster, smaller and better. I'm aiming for "medium format" digital quality, no less and we are more or less there in 35mm format - if we get the right lenses (as an Hassy H5D owner, I am like you in a position to judge). A dodgy zoom can ruin your day if a critical shot is spoilt!
    Quentin Bargate
    Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2017, ”leading individual”, Chambers HNW guide, 2017, Photographer
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  3. #53
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: Sony 24-70 F2.8 GM Tests

    Yea it's sometimes a crap shoot but at least with this GM the number is really low . Not mass hysteria at least.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  4. #54
    Subscriber Member tashley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South of England
    Posts
    3,295
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sony 24-70 F2.8 GM Tests

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Yea it's sometimes a crap shoot but at least with this GM the number is really low . Not mass hysteria at least.
    Guy and Quentin,

    I picked up a replacement today and it is still dodgy and in exactly the same sort of way. I can't run a comparison new against old though on Thursday I will be able to replicate some of the test scenes I shot the first copy on but today I shot another scene, a cityscape that I often use, and we have very blurry right hand side at 35mm and that shifts to the left at 70mm. For my own comparison I shot my 24-70 f4 lens on the same scene and though the f2.8 is better in the areas where it has achieved focus, overall at these focal lengths and especially at f4 and 35mm, the F4 lens absolutely trounces the f2.8 version. Simply no contest because the blur on the side at 35mm is so bad on the more expensive lens.

    So that's two in a row now...

    I'm away from base and LR has gone irreperably wrong on the only machine I have with me (it's an older machine and I can't update to a version that reads the A7RII files, patch fails) so these are exported from Photos to TIFF and imported into an older version of LR for viewing but no adjustments, then to JPEG for uploading. That means I haven't been able to sharpen etc as I usually would, but it's a level playing field between the two lenses at least. Take a look.

    With the F4 lens
    With the F2.8 lens

    Both AF on the central mid-distance flat building with two windows. I will need to shoot these again with all due rigour on but I think it's clear the F2.8 lens has an issue, again....
    Last edited by tashley; 19th April 2016 at 09:32.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  5. #55
    Senior Member Quentin_Bargate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Saffron Walden, UK
    Posts
    1,983
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    58

    Re: Sony 24-70 F2.8 GM Tests

    Tim

    I'm lying in bed looking at these shots on an iPad, and if Im honest, neither impresses me. In fact both are shocking, with the Zeiss worse on the left and the G Master garbage on the right in your samples.

    It just reinforces my preference for prime lenses.

    It's depressing. Truly.





    Quote Originally Posted by tashley View Post
    Guy and Quentin,

    I picked up a replacement today and it is still dodgy and in exactly the same sort of way. I can't run a comparison new against old though on Thursday I will be able to replicate some of the test scenes I shot the first copy on but today I shot another scene, a cityscape that I often use, and we have very blurry right hand side at 35mm and that shifts to the left at 70mm. For my own comparison I shot my 24-70 f4 lens on the same scene and though the f2.8 is better in the areas where it has achieved focus, overall at these focal lengths and especially at f4 and 35mm, the F4 lens absolutely trounces the f2.8 version. Simply no contest because the blur on the side at 35mm is so bad on the more expensive lens.

    So that's two in a row now...

    I'm away from base and LR has gone irreperably wrong on the only machine I have with me (it's an older machine and I can't update to a version that reads the A7RII files, patch fails) so these are exported from Photos to TIFF and imported into an older version of LR for viewing but no adjustments, then to JPEG for uploading. That means I haven't been able to sharpen etc as I usually would, but it's a level playing field between the two lenses at least. Take a look.

    With the F4 lens
    With the F2.8 lens

    Both AF on the central mid-distance flat building with two windows. I will need to shoot these again with all due rigour on but I think it's clear the F2.8 lens has an issue, again....
    Quentin Bargate
    Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2017, ”leading individual”, Chambers HNW guide, 2017, Photographer
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  6. #56
    Subscriber Member tashley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South of England
    Posts
    3,295
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sony 24-70 F2.8 GM Tests

    Quote Originally Posted by Quentin_Bargate View Post
    Tim

    I'm lying in bed looking at these shots on an iPad, and if Im honest, neither impresses me. In fact both are shocking, with the Zeiss worse on the left and the G Master garbage on the right in your samples.

    It just reinforces my preference for prime lenses.

    It's depressing. Truly.
    I'll have one more try. Fortune favours the persistent.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  7. #57
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Miami - New York
    Posts
    122
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sony 24-70 F2.8 GM Tests

    This is very sad indeed. How Sony can sell a lens for $2200 and have QC issues is very disappointing. Considering their service is also questionable, it's hard to want to invest in any of their new lenses at this time.

    The count is back down to two people. I don't consider it a QCexcept for those two people so far. The sky is falling don't apply here
    Last edited by Guy Mancuso; 19th April 2016 at 18:11.

  8. #58
    Senior Member MikeEvangelist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Minnesota, USA
    Posts
    933
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sony 24-70 F2.8 GM Tests

    Quote Originally Posted by tashley View Post
    I picked up a replacement today and it is still dodgy and in exactly the same sort of way.
    Tim, in case it might be useful, here's a couple full size images from my GM at ƒ4.0.

    At 70mm - https://www.flickr.com/photos/mikeev...76073/sizes/o/

    At 34mm - https://www.flickr.com/photos/mikeev...81716/sizes/o/

  9. #59
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    590
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sony 24-70 F2.8 GM Tests

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeEvangelist View Post
    Tim, in case it might be useful, here's a couple full size images from my GM at ƒ4.0.

    At 70mm - https://www.flickr.com/photos/mikeev...76073/sizes/o/

    At 34mm - https://www.flickr.com/photos/mikeev...81716/sizes/o/
    Mike. Hard to say as objects are at different distances and this is F4 but it would appear (at least to me) that the 34 shot is slightly softer on the right hand side of the image

  10. #60
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    590
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sony 24-70 F2.8 GM Tests

    Tim I really feel for you, what a pain. I am sorted of tempted by this lens but the hassle of trying to get a decent copy sort of worries me. When I bought the Loxia 21 it was slightly decentered but I decided that with Zeiss it was better to send it back for service and within 3 weeks I got back a perfect lens. Now if only you could do this with Sony but I should imagine the chances of getting them to correct the lens to within it's parameters would be be a nightmare if my past dealings with there service department are anything to go by. Also as good as the dealer is I wonder if they then resell your rejected lens as an open box return and then some poor other punter has to deal with it or do they return it to Sony. I ask this as I see one very reputable dealer here in the UK already has a 85 GM listed as an open box return

  11. #61
    Subscriber Member tashley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South of England
    Posts
    3,295
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sony 24-70 F2.8 GM Tests

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeEvangelist View Post
    Tim, in case it might be useful, here's a couple full size images from my GM at ƒ4.0.

    At 70mm - https://www.flickr.com/photos/mikeev...76073/sizes/o/

    At 34mm - https://www.flickr.com/photos/mikeev...81716/sizes/o/
    Hi Mike,

    Than you for sharing, that is much appreciated.

    It's hard to see exactly what's going on there without being sure what the POF was but if I assume that it was intended to be the facade of the building centre, then it does look to me slightly softer on the right at 35mm though not as bad as what I am seeing. However, testing on the same scene with the different copies of the lens would be the only way to find out :-(

    At 70mm, is there any chance that the lens was spoofed into focussing on the black pole foreground centre? It looks in better focus than the distant range of buildings. That could even be the case with the 35mm frame too, since the tip of that pole is dead centre and the DOF would have made it hard to tell.

  12. #62
    Subscriber Member tashley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South of England
    Posts
    3,295
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sony 24-70 F2.8 GM Tests

    Quote Originally Posted by Viramati View Post
    Tim I really feel for you, what a pain. I am sorted of tempted by this lens but the hassle of trying to get a decent copy sort of worries me. When I bought the Loxia 21 it was slightly decentered but I decided that with Zeiss it was better to send it back for service and within 3 weeks I got back a perfect lens. Now if only you could do this with Sony but I should imagine the chances of getting them to correct the lens to within it's parameters would be be a nightmare if my past dealings with there service department are anything to go by. Also as good as the dealer is I wonder if they then resell your rejected lens as an open box return and then some poor other punter has to deal with it or do they return it to Sony. I ask this as I see one very reputable dealer here in the UK already has a 85 GM listed as an open box return
    Thanks David.. it is rather frustrating. What interests me right now is that LensRentals looked at ten copies and found the sample variation no different from the CaNikon versions, and great performance to boot. I wonder if there are batch issues or possibly if the barrel takes a while to settle down as the elements get moved around through the cams. I'm sure that the lens is going to be notably better than the F4 version if and when I find a good copy but I'm not sure how much fight I'll have left after an attempt at '3rd time lucky'.

    I'd be surprised if my dealer did that but were you to PM me the dealer you see doing this, I'd know. I deal with Park Cameras.

    Best
    Tim
    Last edited by tashley; 20th April 2016 at 02:14.

  13. #63
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,604
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: Sony 24-70 F2.8 GM Tests

    It would be useful to have a list of dealers supplying unusually high number of flawed samples.

  14. #64
    Senior Member JoelM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    San Diego, CA USA
    Posts
    264
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sony 24-70 F2.8 GM Tests

    Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    It would be useful to have a list of dealers supplying unusually high number of flawed samples.
    Statistically speaking, it would be useless. There might be 2 conclusions to take away from that data.

    1. Don't buy from them because they get a lot of defective stock, or
    2. Do buy from them because the odds are that they'll start getting good stock.

    Joel

  15. #65
    Senior Member MikeEvangelist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Minnesota, USA
    Posts
    933
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sony 24-70 F2.8 GM Tests

    Quote Originally Posted by tashley View Post
    It's hard to see exactly what's going on there without being sure what the POF was but if I assume that it was intended to be the facade of the building centre, then it does look to me slightly softer on the right at 35mm though not as bad as what I am seeing. However, testing on the same scene with the different copies of the lens would be the only way to find out :-(

    At 70mm, is there any chance that the lens was spoofed into focussing on the black pole foreground centre? It looks in better focus than the distant range of buildings. That could even be the case with the 35mm frame too, since the tip of that pole is dead centre and the DOF would have made it hard to tell.
    All manual focus, on the small windows just above center frame, but looking at the 70mm shots, it appears I missed. (I was about to lose the light, so I was probably moving too fast.)

    Here's the shot at 51mm, perhaps more indicative - https://www.flickr.com/photos/mikeev...56262/sizes/o/
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  16. #66
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,604
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: Sony 24-70 F2.8 GM Tests

    Quote Originally Posted by JoelM View Post
    Statistically speaking, it would be useless. There might be 2 conclusions to take away from that data.

    1. Don't buy from them because they get a lot of defective stock, or
    2. Do buy from them because the odds are that they'll start getting good stock.

    Joel
    The first one is more likely.

  17. #67
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: Sony 24-70 F2.8 GM Tests

    Since i did the wall test with the Zoom I since acquired two lenses the Sony 28mm F2 and I bought back a Loxia 50mm F2. So i need to test them anyway so i thought it would be nice to see them at mid zone along with the zoom.

    Serious amount of distortion for the 28mm. These are Processed in C1





    Okay lets get to the left corner test out of the gate no need to post F2 on the Sony, trust me you don't want to see it anyway. LOL















    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  18. #68
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: Sony 24-70 F2.8 GM Tests

    Moving on to the Loxia 50mm and the GM zoom at 50 things even up in the corners so lets check that out. i think you all know the full wall by now so i will skip that lets get to the upper left crops . Again no asymmetry issues on either lens and both very good copies of each..


















    So the zoom gets the corners faster but obviously the Loxia 50 catches up. So very good for the zoom but this does change on center
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  19. #69
    Subscriber Member tashley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South of England
    Posts
    3,295
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sony 24-70 F2.8 GM Tests

    Guy, can we possibly see edge crops (left and right) at 35 and 70mm at F2.8 thru whatever you can be bothered to post? I took my second copy back today because it had exactly the same problem as the first one, a bit better at 35mm maybe but certainly worse at 70mm. Would love to see how your copy does there...

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Moving on to the Loxia 50mm and the GM zoom at 50 things even up in the corners so lets check that out. i think you all know the full wall by now so i will skip that lets get to the upper left crops . Again no asymmetry issues on either lens and both very good copies of each..


    So the zoom gets the corners faster but obviously the Loxia 50 catches up. So very good for the zoom but this does change on center

  20. #70
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: Sony 24-70 F2.8 GM Tests

    Tim let me upload the raw wall test I did previous to this so you can see that. Give me a few
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  21. #71
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: Sony 24-70 F2.8 GM Tests

    This is a side wall for the center crops i do. Im not going to post the full wall but will upload this whole test to so you folks can play.

    Im throwing in the Loxia 50mm F2 center crop just for completeness














    So my opinion here is this the Loxia lenses are some of the best glass around we have seen how good the 21 and 50 are but the bottom line on them is this when they went to the size they did with the optical design it induced some filed curvature . Why we are seeing the corners on the zoom come up sooner is its more flat field but at the same token the Loxia's are better on center and for that reason as much as you may love the Zoom it does not hurt you one bit having a Loxia 50 in the bag when the center is the most important and you need F2. To me these lenses compliment each other and you could use either in many situations. let me get the raws uploaded and you can play around with them. Thanks
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  22. #72
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: Sony 24-70 F2.8 GM Tests

    Raws for this latest test Loxia 50, Sony 28 and the GM 24-70

    https://www.hightail.com/download/ZW...K3hRWUlUWThUQw
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  23. #73
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: Sony 24-70 F2.8 GM Tests

    Tim they are uploading now
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  24. #74
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: Sony 24-70 F2.8 GM Tests

    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  25. #75
    Subscriber Member tashley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South of England
    Posts
    3,295
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sony 24-70 F2.8 GM Tests

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Hightailing it right now dude, thanks a zillion!

  26. #76
    Subscriber Member tashley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South of England
    Posts
    3,295
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sony 24-70 F2.8 GM Tests

    Guy, that was absolutely invaluable. You have a really nice copy of the lens, I had to peep peep peep to find anything less than totally wonderful and those bits are merely very good.

    I truly hope my next effort gains me a similarly awesome copy because the two I've had so far are not from the same planet as yours.

    Thanks again. Awesomely good.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  27. #77
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    k-hawinkler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The "Land of Enchantment"
    Posts
    3,300
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sony 24-70 F2.8 GM Tests

    Hi Guy,

    I am first in line if you ever want to sell that gem of a lens, serilously!
    With best regards, K-H.
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

  28. #78
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    k-hawinkler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The "Land of Enchantment"
    Posts
    3,300
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sony 24-70 F2.8 GM Tests

    Quote Originally Posted by tashley View Post
    Guy, that was absolutely invaluable. You have a really nice copy of the lens, I had to peep peep peep to find anything less than totally wonderful and those bits are merely very good.

    I truly hope my next effort gains me a similarly awesome copy because the two I've had so far are not from the same planet as yours.

    Thanks again. Awesomely good.

    Hi Tim, How can you assure getting a copy from a good batch? Wait a little?
    With best regards, K-H.

  29. #79
    Subscriber Member tashley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South of England
    Posts
    3,295
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sony 24-70 F2.8 GM Tests

    Quote Originally Posted by k-hawinkler View Post
    Hi Tim, How can you assure getting a copy from a good batch? Wait a little?
    wash rinse repeat until my hair falls out
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  30. #80
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,604
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: Sony 24-70 F2.8 GM Tests

    Quote Originally Posted by k-hawinkler View Post
    Hi Guy,

    I am first in line if you ever want to sell that gem of a lens, serilously!
    I have a superb sample of the RX1R II.

    It is not going to be sold though.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  31. #81
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: Sony 24-70 F2.8 GM Tests

    Quote Originally Posted by k-hawinkler View Post
    Hi Guy,

    I am first in line if you ever want to sell that gem of a lens, serilously!
    I know I have a very nice copy of it. It is a prime killer
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  32. #82
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: Sony 24-70 F2.8 GM Tests

    Quote Originally Posted by tashley View Post
    wash rinse repeat until my hair falls out
    Heck I thought that already happened. LOL
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  33. #83
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: Sony 24-70 F2.8 GM Tests

    Tim I sent you these two raws but thought I would show folks. I focused on the roof in both of these . I was half holding on to my grandson when I shot these at 43mm at 4.5 one would think kind of sketchy in the background, I mean I'm not at infinity but yet clear as a bell across the frame and it could be better




    Now this one the background should be soft at 70mm focused on the roof at 4.5 and the background is a touch soft no doubt but still pretty amazing as this is the weakest focal length of the zoom. From tests at 70mm F8 for the corners and F4 for the center. Personally I would be grabbing my 85mm after 50 anyway but hey its there so if you can use it why not and the dang house is sharp.



    BTW 15,00 square feet for 2.2 million
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  34. #84
    Subscriber Member tashley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South of England
    Posts
    3,295
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sony 24-70 F2.8 GM Tests

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Tim I sent you these two raws but thought I would show folks. I focused on the roof in both of these . I was half holding on to my grandson when I shot these at 43mm at 4.5 one would think kind of sketchy in the background, I mean I'm not at infinity but yet clear as a bell across the frame and it could be better




    Now this one the background should be soft at 70mm focused on the roof at 4.5 and the background is a touch soft no doubt but still pretty amazing as this is the weakest focal length of the zoom. From tests at 70mm F8 for the corners and F4 for the center. Personally I would be grabbing my 85mm after 50 anyway but hey its there so if you can use it why not and the dang house is sharp.



    BTW 15,00 square feet for 2.2 million
    I'm with Guy. This* lens really is like a bag of primes. Even at its weakest it's very competent. I. So. Want.

    *his copy, not either of mine. :-(
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  35. #85
    Subscriber Member tashley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South of England
    Posts
    3,295
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sony 24-70 F2.8 GM Tests

    Guy,

    Not sure if you've seen the sh*t storm about FW 3.1? There's a whole load of confusion gong on about which lenses focus wide open and which stopped down, and whether any of the the focus setting options affect that. So I am curious to know which FW you have and which focussing method you used for these two sets of shots (billboard and valley)?

    Yesterday I shot quite a few series with my second copy and that included tripod series with AF, with MF once before changing aperture for the series and with MF re-focussed at each aperture. On one (one only of really quite a few) of that series my copy of the lens turned in a result where the edges were evenly focussed at 35mm. That frame was at F2.8 and MF

    That could either be because:
    1) The mechanical slop that is causing the asymmetry 'comes and goes' and one one frame it went
    2) That there are some focussing issues and that there is a sweet spot of focus that gets the subject field and the DOF singing from the same hymn sheet, and that AF is missing that sweet spot.

    Neither of these makes the lens any better a copy - it has a clear asymmetry that manifests nearly all the time but can be mitigated by precise (or lucky) selection of focus point relative to subject and DOF.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  36. #86
    Senior Member Quentin_Bargate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Saffron Walden, UK
    Posts
    1,983
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    58

    Re: Sony 24-70 F2.8 GM Tests

    Funnily enough, I have had the edge focus variation between shots show up on my copy of a Zeiss 16-35mm F/4. I can take two shots of the exact same scene, one immediately after the other, and on one its all good accross the frame, and on the next shots its slightly blurry just on one side, usually the right. As a result I shoot a minimum of three shots.

    Quote Originally Posted by tashley View Post
    Guy,

    Not sure if you've seen the sh*t storm about FW 3.1? There's a whole load of confusion gong on about which lenses focus wide open and which stopped down, and whether any of the the focus setting options affect that. So I am curious to know which FW you have and which focussing method you used for these two sets of shots (billboard and valley)?

    Yesterday I shot quite a few series with my second copy and that included tripod series with AF, with MF once before changing aperture for the series and with MF re-focussed at each aperture. On one (one only of really quite a few) of that series my copy of the lens turned in a result where the edges were evenly focussed at 35mm. That frame was at F2.8 and MF

    That could either be because:
    1) The mechanical slop that is causing the asymmetry 'comes and goes' and one one frame it went
    2) That there are some focussing issues and that there is a sweet spot of focus that gets the subject field and the DOF singing from the same hymn sheet, and that AF is missing that sweet spot.

    Neither of these makes the lens any better a copy - it has a clear asymmetry that manifests nearly all the time but can be mitigated by precise (or lucky) selection of focus point relative to subject and DOF.
    Quentin Bargate
    Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2017, ”leading individual”, Chambers HNW guide, 2017, Photographer
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  37. #87
    Subscriber Member tashley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South of England
    Posts
    3,295
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sony 24-70 F2.8 GM Tests

    Quote Originally Posted by Quentin_Bargate View Post
    Funnily enough, I have had the edge focus variation between shots show up on my copy of a Zeiss 16-35mm F/4. I can take two shots of the exact same scene, one immediately after the other, and on one its all good accross the frame, and on the next shots its slightly blurry just on one side, usually the right. As a result I shoot a minimum of three shots.
    Was that after the fw upgrade ?

  38. #88
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: Sony 24-70 F2.8 GM Tests

    Tim I have 3.10 . The wall shots are all manual focus. The shots over the valley are AF. Most of my junkyard stuff is AF also. Where I have had weirdness is at 70mm. My 2.8 can be awesome and than I had a few duds.at F4 it's perfect on center. Seems like 2.8 to F4 I have a pretty big jump in quality. I did mention this during my wall test at the 70mm setting I was having some trouble focusing it there. All other focal lengths I have not noticed anything strange.

    Now my 85 is very noisy it's going back for a exchange so I think it's actually has some type of gearing issue. So been careful with that so I'm hard pressed to confirm or deny on the 85 whatever is being reported because I don't have a perfect copy mechanically. Optically it's really really good and I have had no issues focusing per say but I can't confirm its perfect because the lens is not. But I have been nailing 1.4 shots on a regular basis as well as many others and the first I have heard of this . Source is also suspect if you ask me as well. Little to much crying wolf about Sony products. It's gotten real old if you know what I mean.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  39. #89
    Subscriber Member tashley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South of England
    Posts
    3,295
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sony 24-70 F2.8 GM Tests

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Tim I have 3.10 . The wall shots are all manual focus. The shots over the valley are AF. Most of my junkyard stuff is AF also. Where I have had weirdness is at 70mm. My 2.8 can be awesome and than I had a few duds.at F4 it's perfect on center. Seems like 2.8 to F4 I have a pretty big jump in quality. I did mention this during my wall test at the 70mm setting I was having some trouble focusing it there. All other focal lengths I have not noticed anything strange.

    Now my 85 is very noisy it's going back for a exchange so I think it's actually has some type of gearing issue. So been careful with that so I'm hard pressed to confirm or deny on the 85 whatever is being reported because I don't have a perfect copy mechanically. Optically it's really really good and I have had no issues focusing per say but I can't confirm its perfect because the lens is not. But I have been nailing 1.4 shots on a regular basis as well as many others and the first I have heard of this . Source is also suspect if you ask me as well. Little to much crying wolf about Sony products. It's gotten real old if you know what I mean.
    Thanks Guy - and yes, I know what you mean ;-)

  40. #90
    Senior Member Quentin_Bargate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Saffron Walden, UK
    Posts
    1,983
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    58

    Re: Sony 24-70 F2.8 GM Tests

    Quote Originally Posted by tashley View Post
    Was that after the fw upgrade ?
    Tim

    No, I'm still using version 3.00.
    Quentin Bargate
    Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2017, ”leading individual”, Chambers HNW guide, 2017, Photographer
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post

  41. #91
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,347
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    12

    Re: Sony 24-70 F2.8 GM Tests / sample variation

    Another bad copy of the FE 24-70 GM here.
    My copy is considerably decentered (tilt/swing effect) and will be returned next week.
    I know it's the lens (not the sensor) as a number of other lenses do not show this tilt/swing effect (not even older lenses with adapters).
    Really sad ... I expected a first class lens and first class quality control. Unfortunately quality control still seems to be really bad at Sony.

    :-(

  42. #92
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,347
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    12

    Re: Sony 24-70 F2.8 GM Tests / sample variation

    Quote Originally Posted by thomas View Post
    Another bad copy of the FE 24-70 GM here.
    My copy is considerably decentered (tilt/swing effect) and will be returned next week.
    I know it's the lens (not the sensor) as a number of other lenses do not show this tilt/swing effect (not even older lenses with adapters).
    Really sad ... I expected a first class lens and first class quality control. Unfortunately quality control still seems to be really bad at Sony.

    :-(
    When I went to my dealer to exchange my copy we discussed about exchange vs. adjustment in service.
    I finally decided to let him send the lens to service since another new copy could be decentered as well ... while it is very unlikely that the lens comes back from service and is still misaligned.
    Now, I think it was a good decision... the lens was returned within a week and first tests show it seems to be perfectly centered now. Edge to edge performance is consistent and all 4 corners are evenly sharp. By now I could only test the lens indoors at medium distances... so I have yet to test it in the field to check performance at wide distances. However, even after these first tests I'd say the lens performance is very strong... the "bag of primes" I'd expected to get. Can't wait to check wide landscape shots...
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post

  43. #93
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    590
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sony 24-70 F2.8 GM Tests / sample variation

    Quote Originally Posted by thomas View Post
    When I went to my dealer to exchange my copy we discussed about exchange vs. adjustment in service.
    I finally decided to let him send the lens to service since another new copy could be decentered as well ... while it is very unlikely that the lens comes back from service and is still misaligned.
    Now, I think it was a good decision... the lens was returned within a week and first tests show it seems to be perfectly centered now. Edge to edge performance is consistent and all 4 corners are evenly sharp. By now I could only test the lens indoors at medium distances... so I have yet to test it in the field to check performance at wide distances. However, even after these first tests I'd say the lens performance is very strong... the "bag of primes" I'd expected to get. Can't wait to check wide landscape shots...
    This is the way I now approach new lenses. I did the same with my Loxia 21 and it came back perfectly adjusted

  44. #94
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Berkshires, MA
    Posts
    262
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sony 24-70 F2.8 GM Tests

    Have been considering this lens, disappointing to read all the flawed copies folks are getting after paying +$2K.
    Wondering how folks here are testing for decentering to confirm a good copy.
    I do remember using a method recommended on a Lensrentals blog post - white circles on a black background. Any other recommended ways to test?
    https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/201...ts-a-makeover/
    Shaun O'Boyle
    new.oboylephoto.com

  45. #95
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Massachusetts USA
    Posts
    146
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sony 24-70 F2.8 GM Tests / sample variation

    Quote Originally Posted by thomas View Post
    When I went to my dealer to exchange my copy we discussed about exchange vs. adjustment in service.
    I finally decided to let him send the lens to service since another new copy could be decentered as well ... while it is very unlikely that the lens comes back from service and is still misaligned.
    Now, I think it was a good decision... the lens was returned within a week and first tests show it seems to be perfectly centered now. Edge to edge performance is consistent and all 4 corners are evenly sharp. By now I could only test the lens indoors at medium distances... so I have yet to test it in the field to check performance at wide distances. However, even after these first tests I'd say the lens performance is very strong... the "bag of primes" I'd expected to get. Can't wait to check wide landscape shots...
    Do all dealers allow this arrangement ? Which dealer did you use ?

    Thanks !

  46. #96
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    172
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sony 24-70 F2.8 GM Tests

    Great info here! I am very interested in this lens, but the only thing that I am not sure about for my style of shooting, is the lack of a focus scale and infinity mark. I sometimes used focus stacking which relies on having this feature. How would you/could you do this without it?
    Regards,
    J. Paul

  47. #97
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    172
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sony 24-70 F2.8 GM Tests

    Guy, I pulled the trigger on this lens and it arrived today. I value your great feedback on this. I only hope I have stellar copy like you do. I am looking forward to running it through the paces soon.
    Regards,
    J. Paul

  48. #98
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    598
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sony 24-70 F2.8 GM Tests

    I just got an A7RII and the 24-70 f/2.8. I can confirm the review here: the lens is sharp all over, the rendering is very pleasing and bokeh is nice. I am very satisfied: best zoom I have seen.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  49. #99
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Berkshires, MA
    Posts
    262
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sony 24-70 F2.8 GM Tests

    This thread seems long dead, but thought I would add that I have been through 4 copies of this lens trying to find a copy that is reasonably sharp at the frame edges. Sharpness is good in the center 1/2 of the frame, but the 1/4 frame on each side sharpness falloff, not usable in my opinion. It's such a useful focal range for the work I do that I keep returning to get something that is reasonably sharp near the edges. So far no go and maybe that is just the nature of this beast, and Guy received a 1/1000 copy. I'm amazed at the positive ratings this lens gets on B&H website, am I just really unlucky with my copies?
    Shaun O'Boyle
    new.oboylephoto.com

  50. #100
    Senior Member seb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    324
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    19

    Re: Sony 24-70 F2.8 GM Tests

    If the third copy shows the same maybe your test is different to others tests? If I remind it correctly this lens has not a flat field curvature.
    May you share a few shots you did to judge the sharpness? Please tell where you focused on.

    Quote Originally Posted by soboyle View Post
    This thread seems long dead, but thought I would add that I have been through 4 copies of this lens trying to find a copy that is reasonably sharp at the frame edges. Sharpness is good in the center 1/2 of the frame, but the 1/4 frame on each side sharpness falloff, not usable in my opinion. It's such a useful focal range for the work I do that I keep returning to get something that is reasonably sharp near the edges. So far no go and maybe that is just the nature of this beast, and Guy received a 1/1000 copy. I'm amazed at the positive ratings this lens gets on B&H website, am I just really unlucky with my copies?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •