The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony 24-70 F2.8 GM Tests

tashley

Subscriber Member
Tim, in case it might be useful, here's a couple full size images from my GM at ƒ4.0.

At 70mm - https://www.flickr.com/photos/mikeevangelist/25928776073/sizes/o/

At 34mm - https://www.flickr.com/photos/mikeevangelist/26505681716/sizes/o/
Hi Mike,

Than you for sharing, that is much appreciated.

It's hard to see exactly what's going on there without being sure what the POF was but if I assume that it was intended to be the facade of the building centre, then it does look to me slightly softer on the right at 35mm though not as bad as what I am seeing. However, testing on the same scene with the different copies of the lens would be the only way to find out :-(

At 70mm, is there any chance that the lens was spoofed into focussing on the black pole foreground centre? It looks in better focus than the distant range of buildings. That could even be the case with the 35mm frame too, since the tip of that pole is dead centre and the DOF would have made it hard to tell.

tashley

Subscriber Member
Tim I really feel for you, what a pain. I am sorted of tempted by this lens but the hassle of trying to get a decent copy sort of worries me. When I bought the Loxia 21 it was slightly decentered but I decided that with Zeiss it was better to send it back for service and within 3 weeks I got back a perfect lens. Now if only you could do this with Sony but I should imagine the chances of getting them to correct the lens to within it's parameters would be be a nightmare if my past dealings with there service department are anything to go by. Also as good as the dealer is I wonder if they then resell your rejected lens as an open box return and then some poor other punter has to deal with it or do they return it to Sony. I ask this as I see one very reputable dealer here in the UK already has a 85 GM listed as an open box return
Thanks David.. it is rather frustrating. What interests me right now is that LensRentals looked at ten copies and found the sample variation no different from the CaNikon versions, and great performance to boot. I wonder if there are batch issues or possibly if the barrel takes a while to settle down as the elements get moved around through the cams. I'm sure that the lens is going to be notably better than the F4 version if and when I find a good copy but I'm not sure how much fight I'll have left after an attempt at '3rd time lucky'.

I'd be surprised if my dealer did that but were you to PM me the dealer you see doing this, I'd know. I deal with Park Cameras.

Best
Tim

Last edited:
V

Vivek

It would be useful to have a list of dealers supplying unusually high number of flawed samples.

JoelM

It would be useful to have a list of dealers supplying unusually high number of flawed samples.
Statistically speaking, it would be useless. There might be 2 conclusions to take away from that data.

1. Don't buy from them because they get a lot of defective stock, or
2. Do buy from them because the odds are that they'll start getting good stock.

Joel

It's hard to see exactly what's going on there without being sure what the POF was but if I assume that it was intended to be the facade of the building centre, then it does look to me slightly softer on the right at 35mm though not as bad as what I am seeing. However, testing on the same scene with the different copies of the lens would be the only way to find out :-(

At 70mm, is there any chance that the lens was spoofed into focussing on the black pole foreground centre? It looks in better focus than the distant range of buildings. That could even be the case with the 35mm frame too, since the tip of that pole is dead centre and the DOF would have made it hard to tell.
All manual focus, on the small windows just above center frame, but looking at the 70mm shots, it appears I missed. (I was about to lose the light, so I was probably moving too fast.)

Here's the shot at 51mm, perhaps more indicative - https://www.flickr.com/photos/mikeevangelist/26449656262/sizes/o/

V

Vivek

Statistically speaking, it would be useless. There might be 2 conclusions to take away from that data.

1. Don't buy from them because they get a lot of defective stock, or
2. Do buy from them because the odds are that they'll start getting good stock.

Joel
The first one is more likely.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Since i did the wall test with the Zoom I since acquired two lenses the Sony 28mm F2 and I bought back a Loxia 50mm F2. So i need to test them anyway so i thought it would be nice to see them at mid zone along with the zoom.

Serious amount of distortion for the 28mm. These are Processed in C1

Okay lets get to the left corner test out of the gate no need to post F2 on the Sony, trust me you don't want to see it anyway. LOL

Guy Mancuso

Moving on to the Loxia 50mm and the GM zoom at 50 things even up in the corners so lets check that out. i think you all know the full wall by now so i will skip that lets get to the upper left crops . Again no asymmetry issues on either lens and both very good copies of each..

So the zoom gets the corners faster but obviously the Loxia 50 catches up. So very good for the zoom but this does change on center

tashley

Subscriber Member
Guy, can we possibly see edge crops (left and right) at 35 and 70mm at F2.8 thru whatever you can be bothered to post? I took my second copy back today because it had exactly the same problem as the first one, a bit better at 35mm maybe but certainly worse at 70mm. Would love to see how your copy does there...

Moving on to the Loxia 50mm and the GM zoom at 50 things even up in the corners so lets check that out. i think you all know the full wall by now so i will skip that lets get to the upper left crops . Again no asymmetry issues on either lens and both very good copies of each..

So the zoom gets the corners faster but obviously the Loxia 50 catches up. So very good for the zoom but this does change on center

Guy Mancuso

This is a side wall for the center crops i do. Im not going to post the full wall but will upload this whole test to so you folks can play.

Im throwing in the Loxia 50mm F2 center crop just for completeness

So my opinion here is this the Loxia lenses are some of the best glass around we have seen how good the 21 and 50 are but the bottom line on them is this when they went to the size they did with the optical design it induced some filed curvature . Why we are seeing the corners on the zoom come up sooner is its more flat field but at the same token the Loxia's are better on center and for that reason as much as you may love the Zoom it does not hurt you one bit having a Loxia 50 in the bag when the center is the most important and you need F2. To me these lenses compliment each other and you could use either in many situations. let me get the raws uploaded and you can play around with them. Thanks

tashley

Subscriber Member
Guy, that was absolutely invaluable. You have a really nice copy of the lens, I had to peep peep peep to find anything less than totally wonderful and those bits are merely very good.

I truly hope my next effort gains me a similarly awesome copy because the two I've had so far are not from the same planet as yours.

Thanks again. Awesomely good.

k-hawinkler

Guy, that was absolutely invaluable. You have a really nice copy of the lens, I had to peep peep peep to find anything less than totally wonderful and those bits are merely very good.

I truly hope my next effort gains me a similarly awesome copy because the two I've had so far are not from the same planet as yours.

Thanks again. Awesomely good.

Hi Tim, How can you assure getting a copy from a good batch? Wait a little? :facesmack: