Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 51 to 98 of 98

Thread: A9 Rumor: Clickbait or Possible

  1. #51
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    528
    Post Thanks / Like

    Great Googley Moogley

    No good deed goes unpunished. Thanks to the Sony folks who enjoy the products, added to this post and try to keep it positive. Don't worry, we know Sony has faults but it is definitely moving in the right direction. The gloom and doomers are running out of ammo. I think I'll go look at the nice photos on the Fun thread.
    Regards,
    John
    Sony fanboy, shamelessly shilling for "the man" since 2010.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  2. #52
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,496
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: Great Googley Moogley

    Quote Originally Posted by jfirneno View Post
    No good deed goes unpunished. Thanks to the Sony folks who enjoy the products, added to this post and try to keep it positive. Don't worry, we know Sony has faults but it is definitely moving in the right direction. The gloom and doomers are running out of ammo. I think I'll go look at the nice photos on the Fun thread.
    Yes, we have to count our blessings. I'm sure we'd all agree, our A7R-II was a major improvement over the A7R. Still has lots of improvements to go IMO.

    However, I would say some Sony folks can be a bit hypocritical.

    If someone mentions battery power as a disadvantage if the A7 cameras, it triggers indignation and personal affronts … then as a rationale is compared to other Mirrorless cameras in lesser categories that are no better with power. Yet, Sony folks are all over the web (including GetDpi) getting in the face of DSLR users, MFD users, Rangefinder users as if this Sony stuff was the photographic messiah … all while implying that anyone who doesn't agree lacks intelligence.

    Generally, it feels like Sony users can sure dish it out, but can't take it.

    I got over the Sony "Inferiority Complex" while using a pair of A900s then A99 for weddings. Trust me, I was pretty much alone doing that. Now I have a A7R and A7R-II, and no DSLR or SLT, for general work. Not my favorite, not unfavored. Not something that inspires a bonding experience for me. It is just a camera folks. Another step along a journey littered with cameras thought to be the "next coming" … until the "next coming" actually came.

    - Marc

    P.S. like a broken record I say FIX THE INTERFACE.
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

  3. #53
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    324
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A9 Rumor: Clickbait or Possible

    I'd like to bring this thread back to it's original topic, the A9.

    I'm not sure an A9 would interest me as much now that the a6300 sports camera is in my possession, although I always want a bigger buffer, so maybe ...

    I do have a few thoughts though.

    It is a joy to just have one battery type and one charger for all my Sony ILC's but I miss the challenges of dealing with all new, impossible to find batteries and giant chargers seemingly every time I upgraded my Nikons. What a thrill it was to obsessively pour over the Internet night after night looking for a second battery for my D4 because none of my multiple D3 batteries would work.

    And the excitement of packing two insanely enormous chargers for every trip is not to be missed. You are just not a serious photographer if your gargantuan chargers and camera batteries aren't large enough to power your Tesla an extra 50 miles to your next artistic photo shoot.

    Since the A9 will be a flagship camera Sony has to greatly cripple any video implementation to show how dedicated they are to actual photography. Three minute video time limits, lousy video AF, limited video DR, terrible video ergonomics, and no FF 4K video will do for starters. I think following Nikon's lead here is best since they have been making innovative cameras ever since they first copied Leica.

    As for IBIS, it sounds altogether too much like a certain organization that is getting the poop bombed out of it by government drones and should probably just be eliminated as a feature entirely.

    EVF's may make it easier for a lot of folks to focus or just to use a camera at all but let's face facts ... the EVF brings our cameras closer to electric appliances than the beautiful artistic objects of inspiration they should be. Unless you want Sony's flagship camera to be mistaken for a very tiny refrigerator or water heater strapped to your old google glasses, the EVF must go. Once you are seen using an OVF no one will think you ever use your appliance-like 12MP iPhone to take a snapshot or, God forbid, a selfie ever again. You are a photographer who only uses inspirational gear. Amen.

    And finally, Sony should provide a roll of duct tape and a brick with the A9 so we can make it look and feel more like a Canon 1Dx II or a D5.

    And finally, finally, using the Sony UI is like typing on a tiny keyboard where the letters are randomly hidden within other even tinier keyboards which are themselves constantly moving to strange and interesting locations.

    Sony, really, fix your magical shape-shifting menus and give us something an actual photographer has used without having a nervous breakdown.

    -Bill
    Last edited by ohnri; 10th April 2016 at 06:30.

  4. #54
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,496
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: A9 Rumor: Clickbait or Possible

    Schizophrenia comes to mind on some Sony threads
    Last edited by fotografz; 10th April 2016 at 02:44.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  5. #55
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,223
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2122

    Re: A9 Rumor: Clickbait or Possible

    Quote Originally Posted by ohnri View Post

    It is a joy to just have one battery type and one charger for all my Sony ILC's but I miss the challenges of dealing with all new, impossible to find batteries and giant chargers seemingly every time I upgraded my Nikons. What a thrill it was to obsessively pour over the Internet night after night looking for a second battery for my D4 because none of my multiple D3 batteries would work.

    -Bill
    Nikon's battery policy for their high-end models is indeed frustrating, particularly when the battery type for the "second tier" cameras has only changed once during the 14 years from the D100 to the current models. But you ain't seen nothin' until you've tried Panasonic. I had the pleasure of owning and using the GH1, GH2 and GH3 simultaneously, and they all used different batteries, which were all different from the battery of the L1 that I also used at the time. It must be said though, that the battery of the GH3/4 is probably the best and largest battery for any mirrorless camera at the moment, unless you count the NX1 which may or may not be in production.

    When that is said, the GH4 is also the largest mirrorless out there, far bigger than the A7 II (although lighter) in spite of a sensor that is roughly a quarter of the size. It's not much smaller than a Nikon D7200. Although that may seem unnecessary large for a mirrorless camera with a small sensor, it does make for some excellent ergonomics with physical switches and buttons for all important functions, something the owners of those Panasonics appreciate.

    If I should guess, this is exactly the direction Sony will be heading if an A9 is under preparation. A larger camera with better ergonomics and a larger battery, kind of a shrunken A99, would be much more tempting for users of current DSLR cameras and for users of the most advanced mirrorless cameras from Olympus, Panasonic, Fuji and Samsung. And for those who prefer a smaller body with tiny batteries, there's still the A7.

  6. #56
    Senior Member ErikKaffehr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Nyköping Sweden
    Posts
    1,178
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A9 Rumor: Clickbait or Possible

    Hi,

    Sony could fix the power supply issue by having a vertical grip using two full size batteries, or a special made large capacity battery.

    It would be good if they fixed the menu system, it is not very logical right now.

    Best regards
    Erik






    Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    Nikon's battery policy for their high-end models is indeed frustrating, particularly when the battery type for the "second tier" cameras has only changed once during the 14 years from the D100 to the current models. But you ain't seen nothin' until you've tried Panasonic. I had the pleasure of owning and using the GH1, GH2 and GH3 simultaneously, and they all used different batteries, which were all different from the battery of the L1 that I also used at the time. It must be said though, that the battery of the GH3/4 is probably the best and largest battery for any mirrorless camera at the moment, unless you count the NX1 which may or may not be in production.

    When that is said, the GH4 is also the largest mirrorless out there, far bigger than the A7 II (although lighter) in spite of a sensor that is roughly a quarter of the size. It's not much smaller than a Nikon D7200. Although that may seem unnecessary large for a mirrorless camera with a small sensor, it does make for some excellent ergonomics with physical switches and buttons for all important functions, something the owners of those Panasonics appreciate.

    If I should guess, this is exactly the direction Sony will be heading if an A9 is under preparation. A larger camera with better ergonomics and a larger battery, kind of a shrunken A99, would be much more tempting for users of current DSLR cameras and for users of the most advanced mirrorless cameras from Olympus, Panasonic, Fuji and Samsung. And for those who prefer a smaller body with tiny batteries, there's still the A7.

  7. #57
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    113
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A9 Rumor: Clickbait or Possible

    Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    Schizophrenia comes to mind on some Sony threads
    Ha ha. I'd go so far as to state that it comes to mind on the internet in general! To quote Randy Newman's song on the Monk series: It's a Jungle Out There ...

  8. #58
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    London
    Posts
    232
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A9 Rumor: Clickbait or Possible

    my wish list would be:

    1. no more weight gain
    2. no more price gain
    3. slightly up the resolution so i can use it as a super high DR 24MP APS-c.
    4. improve EVF/low light capability (manual focus with stop down still too noisy at night).
    5. improve color

    after using A7r i realise i dont need 36 MP unless doing landscape but then i can always stitch. so just put a 50+ MP sensor in it so i can use APS-c lens at 24MP (im quite a fan of sony's own 16-70mm F4.)

    A7r color was abit behind canon (especially asian skin tone).the mk2 improved and almost same as canon, so im hoping this new one can catch up or get close to fuji.
    Keep It Simple.
    XQ2 / A7r / 15mm / 25mm / 28-35-50mm
    EOS M3 / 18-35mm
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  9. #59
    Senior Member ErikKaffehr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Nyköping Sweden
    Posts
    1,178
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A9 Rumor: Clickbait or Possible

    Hi,

    Are you shooting JPEG or RAW? If you shoot JPEG than colour is created by the camera, but if you shoot raw it all depends on the colour profiles, and it can be a good idea to roll your own.

    Best regards
    Erik


    Quote Originally Posted by UHDR View Post
    my wish list would be:

    1. no more weight gain
    2. no more price gain
    3. slightly up the resolution so i can use it as a super high DR 24MP APS-c.
    4. improve EVF/low light capability (manual focus with stop down still too noisy at night).
    5. improve color

    after using A7r i realise i dont need 36 MP unless doing landscape but then i can always stitch. so just put a 50+ MP sensor in it so i can use APS-c lens at 24MP (im quite a fan of sony's own 16-70mm F4.)

    A7r color was abit behind canon (especially asian skin tone).the mk2 improved and almost same as canon, so im hoping this new one can catch up or get close to fuji.

  10. #60
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    London
    Posts
    232
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A9 Rumor: Clickbait or Possible

    Quote Originally Posted by ErikKaffehr View Post
    Hi,

    Are you shooting JPEG or RAW? If you shoot JPEG than colour is created by the camera, but if you shoot raw it all depends on the colour profiles, and it can be a good idea to roll your own.

    Best regards
    Erik
    i shoot RAW. The red/liveliness in asian skin tone is just too difficult to get right without spending hours/days if not impossible. i have already used the colorheckr and a fuji compact to help getting the colour as close as possible, but still not as pleasing as fuji sensor/processor combo.
    Keep It Simple.
    XQ2 / A7r / 15mm / 25mm / 28-35-50mm
    EOS M3 / 18-35mm

  11. #61
    Senior Member Quentin_Bargate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Saffron Walden, UK
    Posts
    1,973
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    58

    Re: A9 Rumor: Clickbait or Possible

    Sonyalpharumors are now reporting a possible A7RIII with a 70-80mp sensor and improved IBIS. Maybe these two sets of rumours - A9 and A7RIII - Will end up converging on something in between.

    Moreover, given 70-80mp is genuine large format film territory, it would mark something of a milestone. True LF quality in a 35mm body. Awesome.
    Quentin Bargate
    Co-Founder of Ajuve, Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2016, Photographer
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  12. #62
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    k-hawinkler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The "Land of Enchantment"
    Posts
    3,200
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A9 Rumor: Clickbait or Possible

    Awesome indeed! Thanks Quentin.
    With best regards, K-H.

  13. #63
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Massachusetts and Vermont
    Posts
    919
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A9 Rumor: Clickbait or Possible

    Quote Originally Posted by Quentin_Bargate View Post
    Sonyalpharumors are now reporting a possible A7RIII with a 70-80mp sensor and improved IBIS. Maybe these two sets of rumours - A9 and A7RIII - Will end up converging on something in between.

    Moreover, given 70-80mp is genuine large format film territory, it would mark something of a milestone. True LF quality in a 35mm body. Awesome.
    Quentin: Where did you see that rumor about the A7RIII?

  14. #64
    Senior Member Quentin_Bargate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Saffron Walden, UK
    Posts
    1,973
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    58

    Re: A9 Rumor: Clickbait or Possible

    Quote Originally Posted by hcubell View Post
    Quentin: Where did you see that rumor about the A7RIII?
    I noticed it here

    http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr3-f...improved-ibis/
    Quentin Bargate
    Co-Founder of Ajuve, Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2016, Photographer
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  15. #65
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Munich
    Posts
    875
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: A9 Rumor: Clickbait or Possible

    Quote Originally Posted by hcubell View Post
    Quentin: Where did you see that rumor about the A7RIII?


    Perhaps these ? Which are not really new.

    http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr3-f...improved-ibis/

  16. #66
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Massachusetts and Vermont
    Posts
    919
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A9 Rumor: Clickbait or Possible

    Quote Originally Posted by Quentin_Bargate View Post
    Thanks, Quentin. I had already moved on to the A9 rumor, and the earlier rumor about a successor to the A7RII sort of blended into the A9 rumor. Keeping track of these rumors is almost a full time job. My sense is that the A9 rumor is accurate, and I expect to be somewhat disappointed because I think it will be much larger. The form factor of the A7 series is a big part of what is compelling to me. I am at an age where the size and weight of the kit are an issue, yet I strongly prefer to MINIMIZE compromises in image quality.
    hcubell
    www.howardcubell.com
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  17. #67
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    k-hawinkler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The "Land of Enchantment"
    Posts
    3,200
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A9 Rumor: Clickbait or Possible

    Quote Originally Posted by hcubell View Post
    Thanks, Quentin. I had already moved on to the A9 rumor, and the earlier rumor about a successor to the A7RII sort of blended into the A9 rumor. Keeping track of these rumors is almost a full time job. My sense is that the A9 rumor is accurate, and I expect to be somewhat disappointed because I think it will be much larger. The form factor of the A7 series is a big part of what is compelling to me. I am at an age where the size and weight of the kit are an issue, yet I strongly prefer to MINIMIZE compromises in image quality.
    I agree.
    Well, if the new camera had the Battery Holder Grip integrated into it and wouldn't be as big as the Leica SL then ...
    With best regards, K-H.

  18. #68
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Coral Gables, FL
    Posts
    645
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A9 Rumor: Clickbait or Possible

    My a900 is on its last legs for sports photography; now that I am actually getting paid to take photos, I can see the limitation of mine. The a9 would be nice but not at over 3k. For that price I would junk the Sony system and go for a used 1Dx and a 400/2.8 lens. As it is now, I am tired of lugging around the a900 with the 70-200/2.8G lens. I am thinking that the a6300 and the 70-200/2.8G with the adapter would be a good start, but I am seriously thinking of getting the G master 70-200/2.8. I would rather spend the 3k on a lens than a body that will depreciate as soon as I click the shutter for the first time.

    For those who want it, great, but there are too many beautiful things out there to shoot to worry about an a9.

  19. #69
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    528
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A9 Rumor: Clickbait or Possible

    Quote Originally Posted by MikalWGrass View Post
    My a900 is on its last legs for sports photography; now that I am actually getting paid to take photos, I can see the limitation of mine. The a9 would be nice but not at over 3k. For that price I would junk the Sony system and go for a used 1Dx and a 400/2.8 lens. As it is now, I am tired of lugging around the a900 with the 70-200/2.8G lens. I am thinking that the a6300 and the 70-200/2.8G with the adapter would be a good start, but I am seriously thinking of getting the G master 70-200/2.8. I would rather spend the 3k on a lens than a body that will depreciate as soon as I click the shutter for the first time.

    For those who want it, great, but there are too many beautiful things out there to shoot to worry about an a9.
    I can see how the new G 70-200 would be an improvement for sports shooting. Tracking AF is starting to be a reality for Sony shooters and the top of the line lenses are the ones that currently have the most support from the software algorithms.
    Good Luck
    Regards,
    John
    Sony fanboy, shamelessly shilling for "the man" since 2010.

  20. #70
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Coral Gables, FL
    Posts
    645
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A9 Rumor: Clickbait or Possible

    Jf, thank you for the insight. it is just a question of money, now.

  21. #71
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Shepherdstown, WV USA
    Posts
    65
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A9 Rumor: Clickbait or Possible

    Regarding a standardized battery, it has made life great with Sony mirrorless. But if Sony was going to make a break from the past in battery size, a pro body would be the place to do it. With the rumored 80 Mpx sensor, large buffer for indefinite continuous shooting, probably two or three processors to keep up... that ads up to a pro size body with a battery probably 3x or more the current battery. So if there is any truth to the rumors about the capabilities, I would expect a body at least the size of the new mirrorless Leica.

  22. #72
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    528
    Post Thanks / Like

    Clickbait-2: The Plot Clickens

    So SAR had another A9 rumor today. This one claims that the source came upon a beta tester in Manhattan with an unknown relatively large Sony mirrorless body with an FE lens and equipped with a joy stick, dual card slots and something saying 72 megapixels visible somewhere (LED screen?). Hard to say if it's believable but I really hope it doesn't have 72 MP. I like the idea of the joystick though. Well, I know I shouldn't even post this but I figured some useful discussion (along with some less useful) might ensue. So do you think it sounds credible? And does anyone know a red-haired, goatee-sporting Sony tester?
    Regards,
    John
    Sony fanboy, shamelessly shilling for "the man" since 2010.

  23. #73
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    324
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Clickbait-2: The Plot Clickens

    Quote Originally Posted by jfirneno View Post
    So SAR had another A9 rumor today. This one claims that the source came upon a beta tester in Manhattan with an unknown relatively large Sony mirrorless body with an FE lens and equipped with a joy stick, dual card slots and something saying 72 megapixels visible somewhere (LED screen?). Hard to say if it's believable but I really hope it doesn't have 72 MP. I like the idea of the joystick though. Well, I know I shouldn't even post this but I figured some useful discussion (along with some less useful) might ensue. So do you think it sounds credible? And does anyone know a red-haired, goatee-sporting Sony tester?
    I love the details about the beta tester. It makes it all so much more believable. Lie about 72MP, sure but lie about red hair, never.

    I really would like a fast AF, high fps, huge buffer A9 camera. I hope it comes out tomorrow or later today.

    And while we are at it, don't stop at 72MP. I want more. Let me put the 18mm Batis on it and use it for all my future telephoto needs just by cropping in. That will more than compensate for the extra weight that dual card slots bring.

    -Bill
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  24. #74
    Senior Member Show Performance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    850
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    5

    Re: Clickbait-2: The Plot Clickens

    Quote Originally Posted by jfirneno View Post
    ...And does anyone know a red-haired, goatee-sporting Sony tester?
    no, but for the first time, I'm jealous of a guy with a red goatee.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  25. #75
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,497
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Would it lower the list prices of the existing gear?

    If this leads to price drops, I am all for it!

  26. #76
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    iiiNelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    3,151
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A9 Rumor: Clickbait or Possible

    As someone that used to have regular early access to alpha, beta, and "gold masters" copies to software when I ran a console and computer game web site about 10 years ago - the last thing you'd want to do is reveal sensitive details that you are under NDA about to a random guy off the street. It just rarely (if ever) happens.

    Now there are times where people may hint about details closer to release to drive web traffic, pique interest, or reveal details to a close select collection of friend/industry colleagues. These are case by case scenario's though and not always the norm for everyone. Case in point as it applies to cameras I caught an early glimpse of the Leica Q about a year ago before it was released from a 3rd Party source with close industry friends and they let me know about the insipient Leica SL around that time too. The SL didn't come in the form factor I expected (based on the Q shots and the description of the SL as a Q without the lens attached) but this is an example of how people would "leak" sensitive information - again not to random people in the street.

    This is probably click bait and I'd expect the A9 to come in at around 30 Megapixels, the A9S to be around 20 megapixels, and the A9R to be around 56 Megapixels or so... in my mind.. if it happens.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  27. #77
    Senior Member ErikKaffehr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Nyköping Sweden
    Posts
    1,178
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A9 Rumor: Clickbait or Possible

    Hi,

    My take is that there clearly is a slot or two in the FE series naming scheme for a top level camera.

    An impression I may have is that leaks may be a part of Sony marketing strategi.

    Personally, I have a mixed bag of feelings about a coming A9. There are some features I would like to have, like a larger battery and more presets.

    On the other hand, I wouldn't like a camera that doesn't work with my HCam Master TSII.

    A new camera could be resolution champ, or optimised for fast work. But, I don't think sensor based PDAF is there for things like sports.

    Anyways, here are some guesses:

    • Larger battery
    • More presets
    • Dual memory card slots
    • Slightly larger body


    Regarding sensor size, the A7rII sensor seems to be the best one Sony has in full frame. I would rather expect a higher MP sensor than a lower MP sensor. Going to 72 MP, as rumored, may be a big step. The 6300 is at 24MP and that would scale up to 54MP. If the resolution is needed, going from 42 to 72 MP would make a lot of sense.

    There could be an A9 and A9r combo.

    Question is of course how many of those cameras Sony may be able to sell.

    Complex decisions…

    Best regards
    Erik


    Quote Originally Posted by HiredArm View Post
    As someone that used to have regular early access to alpha, beta, and "gold masters" copies to software when I ran a console and computer game web site about 10 years ago - the last thing you'd want to do is reveal sensitive details that you are under NDA about to a random guy off the street. It just rarely (if ever) happens.

    Now there are times where people may hint about details closer to release to drive web traffic, pique interest, or reveal details to a close select collection of friend/industry colleagues. These are case by case scenario's though and not always the norm for everyone. Case in point as it applies to cameras I caught an early glimpse of the Leica Q about a year ago before it was released from a 3rd Party source with close industry friends and they let me know about the insipient Leica SL around that time too. The SL didn't come in the form factor I expected (based on the Q shots and the description of the SL as a Q without the lens attached) but this is an example of how people would "leak" sensitive information - again not to random people in the street.

    This is probably click bait and I'd expect the A9 to come in at around 30 Megapixels, the A9S to be around 20 megapixels, and the A9R to be around 56 Megapixels or so... in my mind.. if it happens.

  28. #78
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,496
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: A9 Rumor: Clickbait or Possible

    Since we're speculating and dreaming out loud …

    If Sony did something like a FF 54 to 64 meg step beyond the A7R-II, it occurred to me that it could offer an instant-on option to crop to APSc with any FF lens. At that high of resolution, a crop would still be pretty high res (54/36. 64/43 ?), and all FF lenses would do double duty … 85/2 becomes a 127mm f/2, a 70-200/4 becomes a 105-300/4, and so on. That would help keep the size of the system trim and neat.

    Or is my math off here

    - Marc

  29. #79
    New Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    7
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A9 Rumor: Clickbait or Possible

    Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    Since we're speculating and dreaming out loud …

    If Sony did something like a FF 54 to 64 meg step beyond the A7R-II, it occurred to me that it could offer an instant-on option to crop to APSc with any FF lens.

    Or is my math off here

    - Marc
    Basically, a 1.5 crop means less than half of FF pixels on APS-C. (i.e a croped FF 45 Mpx means 20 Mpx in APS crop).
    It's a question of length vs area.

    Nevertheless, a 70Mpx FF would mean over 30 Mpx in APS-C, which is impressive.

  30. #80
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    iiiNelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    3,151
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A9 Rumor: Clickbait or Possible

    Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    Since we're speculating and dreaming out loud …

    If Sony did something like a FF 54 to 64 meg step beyond the A7R-II, it occurred to me that it could offer an instant-on option to crop to APSc with any FF lens. At that high of resolution, a crop would still be pretty high res (54/36. 64/43 ?), and all FF lenses would do double duty … 85/2 becomes a 127mm f/2, a 70-200/4 becomes a 105-300/4, and so on. That would help keep the size of the system trim and neat.

    Or is my math off here

    - Marc
    A 54mp camera in crop mode would be ~22.5 mp. A 64mp camera would have a crop mode of ~27mp. A 72mp camera would have a crop mode of ~30mp. Definitely a lot of pixels to work with if they're clean.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

  31. #81
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    k-hawinkler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The "Land of Enchantment"
    Posts
    3,200
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A9 Rumor: Clickbait or Possible

    I rather would want to use those FF pixels - not just those APS-C ones.
    With best regards, K-H.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  32. #82
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,497
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: A9 Rumor: Clickbait or Possible

    Quote Originally Posted by k-hawinkler View Post
    I rather would want to use those FF pixels - not just those APS-C ones.
    +1.

    More over, TCs to use with 70-200 f2.8 and such are coming.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  33. #83
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    k-hawinkler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The "Land of Enchantment"
    Posts
    3,200
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A9 Rumor: Clickbait or Possible

    Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    +1.

    More over, TCs to use with 70-200 f2.8 and such are coming.

    Thanks Vivek. I am hoping for that.

    My favorite combination right now on the A7r2 is a Leica APO-Telyt-R 280/4 + APO-Extender-R 2x + Novoflex LEM/LER adapter + TechART PRO autofocus adapter shooting 4K video on a tripod with ClearImage, up to 2x, zooming magnification controlled by a remote video controller - while using handheld the Olympus 300/4 PRO with MC-14 1.4x Teleconverter for stills on E-M1 or E-M5.2.

    WOW 4K video for sure can produce a lot of data. In one day I generated that way temporarily about ½ TB of which I kept, after editing out uninteresting parts, about 5 to 10%.

    I find it amazing that for tele shots the Olympus 300/4 and MC-14 can hold their own IQ-wise on the OM-D cameras. What a feat.
    Last edited by k-hawinkler; 30th May 2016 at 09:59.
    With best regards, K-H.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  34. #84
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,496
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: A9 Rumor: Clickbait or Possible

    Quote Originally Posted by k-hawinkler View Post
    I rather would want to use those FF pixels - not just those APS-C ones.
    Duh! Of course you'd use those FF pixels, why else buy a mega-meg monster?

    But you miss the point. Longer lenses for the A7 cameras are huge when traveling or shooting mobile.

    Another advantage of a super high res sensor could be using it cropped: A 30 meg APSc option on a 70 meg camera would offer substantial resolution for many if not most applications while using the same smaller set of FF lenses.

    It would just add to the versatility of existing system lenses. A two lens kit like the Batis 25 and 85 would provide a 35mm FOV and a 127.5 FOV … like 4 lenses in a small kit. I guess it depends on what you shoot and how it is presented that would require 70 meg all the time.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  35. #85
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: A9 Rumor: Clickbait or Possible

    I use crop mode quite often especially with my GM 85 for head shot type shooting. 18 Mpx is plenty for that stuff.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  36. #86
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    k-hawinkler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The "Land of Enchantment"
    Posts
    3,200
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A9 Rumor: Clickbait or Possible

    Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    Duh! Of course you'd use those FF pixels, why else buy a mega-meg monster?

    But you miss the point. Longer lenses for the A7 cameras are huge when traveling or shooting mobile.

    Another advantage of a super high res sensor could be using it cropped: A 30 meg APSc option on a 70 meg camera would offer substantial resolution for many if not most applications while using the same smaller set of FF lenses.

    It would just add to the versatility of existing system lenses. A two lens kit like the Batis 25 and 85 would provide a 35mm FOV and a 127.5 FOV … like 4 lenses in a small kit. I guess it depends on what you shoot and how it is presented that would require 70 meg all the time.
    Thanks. I have no objection to your versatility argument. I agree being able to crop is a major advantage of very large pixel count sensors. And I have done that.

    Nevertheless, I would prefer using 35 mm when appropriate instead of cropping 25 mm as I have both lenses in FE mount. Same for 85 or 90 mm I would prefer using a 135 mm Leica lens instead, adapted with the TechArt autofocus adapter that seems to be able to handle the weight of the 135 mm lens.

    The real benefit of a very large pixel count sensor to me would be a situation in which the subject only fills part of the frame with to me available lenses. However, in that case a smaller sensor format with similarly high or higher pixel density would work fine provided the required lenses are available, as they seem to be for example for MFT cameras.
    With best regards, K-H.

  37. #87
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,496
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: A9 Rumor: Clickbait or Possible

    Still missing the point.

    The Sony camera is small … with big resolution. Keeping the lens count to two lenses keeps it a small, highly mobile kit. Not a 25mm, and a 35mmm, and a 85mm, and a 135mm + adapter.

    Everything about this Sony system is getting bigger and bigger, more this , more that, … I'd like to see smaller stuff and less of it to carry.

    Of course, we can add, and add and collect anything we want to use … I'm just advocating notions that keep it small and compact when wanted.

    - Marc
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

  38. #88
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Beach Haven, NJ
    Posts
    684
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A9 Rumor: Clickbait or Possible

    Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    Still missing the point.

    The Sony camera is small … with big resolution. Keeping the lens count to two lenses keeps it a small, highly mobile kit. Not a 25mm, and a 35mmm, and a 85mm, and a 135mm + adapter.

    Everything about this Sony system is getting bigger and bigger, more this , more that, … I'd like to see smaller stuff and less of it to carry.

    Of course, we can add, and add and collect anything we want to use … I'm just advocating notions that keep it small and compact when wanted.

    - Marc
    I agree---the reason I purchased the A7R (and upgraded to the A7RII) is because of the high pixel count and small size. My wife and I are travelling half way across the country by air to attend our grand daughter's wedding. With baggage fees what they are, we are travelling as light as possible. I am taking the A7RII with the tiny 35mm f2.8 Zeiss, and 55mm f1.8 Zeiss. The three items plus two spare batteries, and spare memory card fit into a REALLY small Leica Billingham bag. It weighs almost nothing. I have a tiny, light Topcon f2.8 SLR lens, with adapter that I was thinking of taking for head shots...but then here I go again, adding weight. I decided against it. I will crop the 55mm lens shots if need be.
    Dave
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  39. #89
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Beach Haven, NJ
    Posts
    684
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A9 Rumor: Clickbait or Possible

    I agree---the reason I purchased the A7R (and upgraded to the A7RII) is because of the high pixel count and small size. My wife and I are travelling half way across the country by air to attend our grand daughter's wedding. With baggage fees what they are, we are travelling as light as possible. I am taking the A7RII with the tiny 35mm f2.8 Zeiss, and 55mm f1.8 Zeiss. The three items plus two spare batteries, and spare memory card fit into a REALLY small Leica Billingham bag. It weighs almost nothing. I have a tiny, light Topcon f2.8 SLR lens, with adapter that I was thinking of taking for head shots...but then here I go again, adding weight. I decided against it. I will crop the 55mm lens shots if need be.
    Dave

    I forgot to say the Topcon is a 100mm f2.8, and is only 2" long, 49mm filter thread , same filter size as the two Zeiss lenses.
    Dave
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  40. #90
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    528
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A9 Rumor: Clickbait or Possible

    Is Tony Northrop someone who would be likely to know if Sony was about to release an A9 (or two different A9) cameras?

    SAR had a video clip of his where he speculated about what will be new at Fotokina in September. Does anyone know anything about his connections to the big camera manufacturers? I only know him as a camera equipment reviewer.
    Regards,
    John
    Sony fanboy, shamelessly shilling for "the man" since 2010.

  41. #91
    Senior Member pegelli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,070
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A9 Rumor: Clickbait or Possible

    Quote Originally Posted by gurtch View Post
    I forgot to say the Topcon is a 100mm f2.8, and is only 2" long, 49mm filter thread , same filter size as the two Zeiss lenses.
    Dave, if it is that small and light just put it in your pants pocket. Or do they also weigh the contents of that?

  42. #92
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Beach Haven, NJ
    Posts
    684
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A9 Rumor: Clickbait or Possible

    Quote Originally Posted by pegelli View Post
    Dave, if it is that small and light just put it in your pants pocket. Or do they also weigh the contents of that?
    Never thought of that. It is small and light. Just one more thing to empty out of my pants pocket...wallet, cell phone, and 100mm lens....no big deal!
    Thanks
    Dave

  43. #93
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,497
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: A9 Rumor: Clickbait or Possible

    Quote Originally Posted by gurtch View Post
    Never thought of that. It is small and light. Just one more thing to empty out of my pants pocket...wallet, cell phone, and 100mm lens....no big deal!
    Thanks
    Dave
    Don't do it! You will have a tough time with TSA!

  44. #94
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Beach Haven, NJ
    Posts
    684
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A9 Rumor: Clickbait or Possible

    Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Don't do it! You will have a tough time with TSA!
    Thanks Vivek!
    Dave

  45. #95
    Senior Member pegelli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,070
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A9 Rumor: Clickbait or Possible

    Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Don't do it! You will have a tough time with TSA!
    I've flown a lot within the USA in recent years, never had any trouble with TSA for any camera or lens, not in a bag nor carried loose. If they can look through the lens and see the camera works they let you through without any hassle (in the rare cases they even bother to check).
    My Pics
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  46. #96
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    iiiNelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    3,151
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A9 Rumor: Clickbait or Possible

    Quote Originally Posted by pegelli View Post
    I've flown a lot within the USA in recent years, never had any trouble with TSA for any camera or lens, not in a bag nor carried loose. If they can look through the lens and see the camera works they let you through without any hassle (in the rare cases they even bother to check).
    I've gotten hassled far more while traveling throughout Africa (in countries not known for tourism) and EU in countries more suspicious of Americans than in USA. Probably has more to do with the xenophobic nature of people when foreigners of unknown origin come around. FWIW the airport security person in Rome questioned me about a cigar punch that "looked like a bullet" on my keychain... It actually looks absolutely nothing like a bullet... For anyone that's seen bullets outside of the conical shape of it.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

  47. #97
    Senior Member Slingers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    457
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A9 Rumor: Clickbait or Possible

    After analysing the A9 rumors, I think there is a possibility an A7000 is coming. To me an A7000 could be either a full frame rangefinder type camera like the A6300 that takes the place of the A7II or its a flagship APSC that's bigger than the A6300, has a big buffer, and IBIS.
    Craig Slingsby
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  48. #98
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,497
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: A9 Rumor: Clickbait or Possible

    Quote Originally Posted by Slingers View Post
    After analysing the A9 rumors, I think there is a possibility an A7000 is coming. To me an A7000 could be either a full frame rangefinder type camera like the A6300 that takes the place of the A7II or its a flagship APSC that's bigger than the A6300, has a big buffer, and IBIS.
    That makes no sense given the truck sized new lenses from sony.
    Sale Items (http://www.getdpi.com/forum/gear-fs-...8806-sale.html)
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •