The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A9 Rumor: Clickbait or Possible

Quentin_Bargate

Sonyalpharumors are now reporting a possible A7RIII with a 70-80mp sensor and improved IBIS. Maybe these two sets of rumours - A9 and A7RIII - Will end up converging on something in between.

Moreover, given 70-80mp is genuine large format film territory, it would mark something of a milestone. True LF quality in a 35mm body. Awesome.

hcubell

Sonyalpharumors are now reporting a possible A7RIII with a 70-80mp sensor and improved IBIS. Maybe these two sets of rumours - A9 and A7RIII - Will end up converging on something in between.

Moreover, given 70-80mp is genuine large format film territory, it would mark something of a milestone. True LF quality in a 35mm body. Awesome.
Quentin: Where did you see that rumor about the A7RIII?

hcubell

Thanks, Quentin. I had already moved on to the A9 rumor, and the earlier rumor about a successor to the A7RII sort of blended into the A9 rumor. Keeping track of these rumors is almost a full time job. My sense is that the A9 rumor is accurate, and I expect to be somewhat disappointed because I think it will be much larger. The form factor of the A7 series is a big part of what is compelling to me. I am at an age where the size and weight of the kit are an issue, yet I strongly prefer to MINIMIZE compromises in image quality.

k-hawinkler

Thanks, Quentin. I had already moved on to the A9 rumor, and the earlier rumor about a successor to the A7RII sort of blended into the A9 rumor. Keeping track of these rumors is almost a full time job. My sense is that the A9 rumor is accurate, and I expect to be somewhat disappointed because I think it will be much larger. The form factor of the A7 series is a big part of what is compelling to me. I am at an age where the size and weight of the kit are an issue, yet I strongly prefer to MINIMIZE compromises in image quality.
I agree.
Well, if the new camera had the Battery Holder Grip integrated into it and wouldn't be as big as the Leica SL then ... :thumbs: :clap:

MikalWGrass

My a900 is on its last legs for sports photography; now that I am actually getting paid to take photos, I can see the limitation of mine. The a9 would be nice but not at over 3k. For that price I would junk the Sony system and go for a used 1Dx and a 400/2.8 lens. As it is now, I am tired of lugging around the a900 with the 70-200/2.8G lens. I am thinking that the a6300 and the 70-200/2.8G with the adapter would be a good start, but I am seriously thinking of getting the G master 70-200/2.8. I would rather spend the 3k on a lens than a body that will depreciate as soon as I click the shutter for the first time.

For those who want it, great, but there are too many beautiful things out there to shoot to worry about an a9.

jfirneno

My a900 is on its last legs for sports photography; now that I am actually getting paid to take photos, I can see the limitation of mine. The a9 would be nice but not at over 3k. For that price I would junk the Sony system and go for a used 1Dx and a 400/2.8 lens. As it is now, I am tired of lugging around the a900 with the 70-200/2.8G lens. I am thinking that the a6300 and the 70-200/2.8G with the adapter would be a good start, but I am seriously thinking of getting the G master 70-200/2.8. I would rather spend the 3k on a lens than a body that will depreciate as soon as I click the shutter for the first time.

For those who want it, great, but there are too many beautiful things out there to shoot to worry about an a9.
I can see how the new G 70-200 would be an improvement for sports shooting. Tracking AF is starting to be a reality for Sony shooters and the top of the line lenses are the ones that currently have the most support from the software algorithms.
Good Luck

Mark Muse

Regarding a standardized battery, it has made life great with Sony mirrorless. But if Sony was going to make a break from the past in battery size, a pro body would be the place to do it. With the rumored 80 Mpx sensor, large buffer for indefinite continuous shooting, probably two or three processors to keep up... that ads up to a pro size body with a battery probably 3x or more the current battery. So if there is any truth to the rumors about the capabilities, I would expect a body at least the size of the new mirrorless Leica.

jfirneno

Clickbait-2: The Plot Clickens

So SAR had another A9 rumor today. This one claims that the source came upon a beta tester in Manhattan with an unknown relatively large Sony mirrorless body with an FE lens and equipped with a joy stick, dual card slots and something saying 72 megapixels visible somewhere (LED screen?). Hard to say if it's believable but I really hope it doesn't have 72 MP. I like the idea of the joystick though. Well, I know I shouldn't even post this but I figured some useful discussion (along with some less useful) might ensue. So do you think it sounds credible? And does anyone know a red-haired, goatee-sporting Sony tester?

ohnri

Re: Clickbait-2: The Plot Clickens

So SAR had another A9 rumor today. This one claims that the source came upon a beta tester in Manhattan with an unknown relatively large Sony mirrorless body with an FE lens and equipped with a joy stick, dual card slots and something saying 72 megapixels visible somewhere (LED screen?). Hard to say if it's believable but I really hope it doesn't have 72 MP. I like the idea of the joystick though. Well, I know I shouldn't even post this but I figured some useful discussion (along with some less useful) might ensue. So do you think it sounds credible? And does anyone know a red-haired, goatee-sporting Sony tester?
I love the details about the beta tester. It makes it all so much more believable. Lie about 72MP, sure but lie about red hair, never.

I really would like a fast AF, high fps, huge buffer A9 camera. I hope it comes out tomorrow or later today.

And while we are at it, don't stop at 72MP. I want more. Let me put the 18mm Batis on it and use it for all my future telephoto needs just by cropping in. That will more than compensate for the extra weight that dual card slots bring.

-Bill

V

Vivek

Would it lower the list prices of the existing gear?

If this leads to price drops, I am all for it! :thumbs:

iiiNelson

As someone that used to have regular early access to alpha, beta, and "gold masters" copies to software when I ran a console and computer game web site about 10 years ago - the last thing you'd want to do is reveal sensitive details that you are under NDA about to a random guy off the street. It just rarely (if ever) happens.

Now there are times where people may hint about details closer to release to drive web traffic, pique interest, or reveal details to a close select collection of friend/industry colleagues. These are case by case scenario's though and not always the norm for everyone. Case in point as it applies to cameras I caught an early glimpse of the Leica Q about a year ago before it was released from a 3rd Party source with close industry friends and they let me know about the insipient Leica SL around that time too. The SL didn't come in the form factor I expected (based on the Q shots and the description of the SL as a Q without the lens attached) but this is an example of how people would "leak" sensitive information - again not to random people in the street.

This is probably click bait and I'd expect the A9 to come in at around 30 Megapixels, the A9S to be around 20 megapixels, and the A9R to be around 56 Megapixels or so... in my mind.. if it happens.

ErikKaffehr

Hi,

My take is that there clearly is a slot or two in the FE series naming scheme for a top level camera.

An impression I may have is that leaks may be a part of Sony marketing strategi.

Personally, I have a mixed bag of feelings about a coming A9. There are some features I would like to have, like a larger battery and more presets.

On the other hand, I wouldn't like a camera that doesn't work with my HCam Master TSII.

A new camera could be resolution champ, or optimised for fast work. But, I don't think sensor based PDAF is there for things like sports.

Anyways, here are some guesses:

• Larger battery
  • More presets
  • Dual memory card slots
  • Slightly larger body

Regarding sensor size, the A7rII sensor seems to be the best one Sony has in full frame. I would rather expect a higher MP sensor than a lower MP sensor. Going to 72 MP, as rumored, may be a big step. The 6300 is at 24MP and that would scale up to 54MP. If the resolution is needed, going from 42 to 72 MP would make a lot of sense.

There could be an A9 and A9r combo.

Question is of course how many of those cameras Sony may be able to sell.

Complex decisions…

Best regards
Erik

As someone that used to have regular early access to alpha, beta, and "gold masters" copies to software when I ran a console and computer game web site about 10 years ago - the last thing you'd want to do is reveal sensitive details that you are under NDA about to a random guy off the street. It just rarely (if ever) happens.

Now there are times where people may hint about details closer to release to drive web traffic, pique interest, or reveal details to a close select collection of friend/industry colleagues. These are case by case scenario's though and not always the norm for everyone. Case in point as it applies to cameras I caught an early glimpse of the Leica Q about a year ago before it was released from a 3rd Party source with close industry friends and they let me know about the insipient Leica SL around that time too. The SL didn't come in the form factor I expected (based on the Q shots and the description of the SL as a Q without the lens attached) but this is an example of how people would "leak" sensitive information - again not to random people in the street.

This is probably click bait and I'd expect the A9 to come in at around 30 Megapixels, the A9S to be around 20 megapixels, and the A9R to be around 56 Megapixels or so... in my mind.. if it happens.

fotografz

Since we're speculating and dreaming out loud …

If Sony did something like a FF 54 to 64 meg step beyond the A7R-II, it occurred to me that it could offer an instant-on option to crop to APSc with any FF lens. At that high of resolution, a crop would still be pretty high res (54/36. 64/43 ?), and all FF lenses would do double duty … 85/2 becomes a 127mm f/2, a 70-200/4 becomes a 105-300/4, and so on. That would help keep the size of the system trim and neat.

Or is my math off here:facesmack:

- Marc

ctzzz

If Sony did something like a FF 54 to 64 meg step beyond the A7R-II, it occurred to me that it could offer an instant-on option to crop to APSc with any FF lens.

- Marc
Basically, a 1.5 crop means less than half of FF pixels on APS-C. (i.e a croped FF 45 Mpx means 20 Mpx in APS crop).
It's a question of length vs area.

Nevertheless, a 70Mpx FF would mean over 30 Mpx in APS-C, which is impressive.

iiiNelson

If Sony did something like a FF 54 to 64 meg step beyond the A7R-II, it occurred to me that it could offer an instant-on option to crop to APSc with any FF lens. At that high of resolution, a crop would still be pretty high res (54/36. 64/43 ?), and all FF lenses would do double duty … 85/2 becomes a 127mm f/2, a 70-200/4 becomes a 105-300/4, and so on. That would help keep the size of the system trim and neat.

- Marc
A 54mp camera in crop mode would be ~22.5 mp. A 64mp camera would have a crop mode of ~27mp. A 72mp camera would have a crop mode of ~30mp. Definitely a lot of pixels to work with if they're clean.