The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony 85mm 1.4 GM testing

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Well after the 24-70 test I am back at Big Broncos testing the 85 this morning . It was cloudy but I did find some break in the clouds to do a quick run through and make sure the lens is a good copy and it certainly is and it clearly is a outstanding lens but it has a few caveats as well. Now either I am going to start paying rent at this place or the are going to have to pay ME to advertise their store. LOL

Here we go. Full shot. My test included 1.4 and 1.6 and their is a very good reason for this at 1.4 as you will see their is veiling flair which on every 1.4 lens I have had going back years ago its always the same case. Its extremely rare I shoot at 1.4 but more at 1.6 or 1.8 and honestly your not giving up much bokeh at ask if you even notice it. Its just a cleaner , sharper looking image at 1.6 which is the case with this GM 85 and your going to see it mostly on center. Also you will see CA until about 2.8

Really gets going in the corners at 2.8 the CA is gone and its really getting sharp. You could almost say optimum at F4 its that good

Lets move onto the crops from the building and a side building. Really watch 1.4 and 1.6 you will see the veiling flare on the 1.4. Now there is nothing wrong with 1.4 if your are doing something that you may want more artistic looking for lack of a better word. Say its a childs face you may want that to look very soft but the beauty here is at 1.6 its really sharper so you kind of get 2 lenses in one. This is very common in 1.4 lenses and you just need to know what a lens will do to avoid it or use it.

So for landscape shooters even 2.8 to the corners would be good but I think F4 or lower would be safer. Portrait folks could care less about corners

Lens vignettes to about 2.8 than clears up nice and its a nice vignette.

I do have one small issue that has been reported and I have a metal to metal noise it sounds like from 3m to infinity both in AF and MF modes. To me its sounds like a grease issue but I did read somewhere it cleaned up after about 500 shots. Mine is not going back regardless.

I know the first question here better than the Batis and its a great question because I was impressed by the Batis 85 no question. I think its the better lens overall as I think it renders better both bokeh balls and onion rings but I need to do more testing on them. It is built beatifully and for ME the weight and bulk is far less a concern than my GM 24-70 which I do feel its one the camera. LOL

Slingers

Thanks for the time and effort you put into testing new lenses. This 85mm looks like a great addition to the system. With the new baby about to arrive in the next month I'm holding off buying any fe lens for as long as I can but this one is really tempting.

Guy Mancuso

Wanted to do a little more testing on which I did not do was some Bokeh , DOf stuff. Also the difference between 1.4 and 1.6

This is Chief Bokeh . I asked him if i could take a few snaps and he promised he would not move one bit. Yes I told him humans move all the time and worthless for this stuff. He agreed

Really what i wanted to show here was a typical 3/4 type headshot with the DOF and the Bokeh to get a idea what you maybe facing in the real world. Distance too window is about 12 feet

Now a couple 100 percent crops and lets see the 1.4 and 1.6 variants

Guy Mancuso

Just another mid range bokeh but backlit. Im very impressed with the Bokeh balls shape here very smooth and round

Guy Mancuso

Vignetting I have not corrected so you can see that effect happening and if you look really close CA until 2.8 and it goes away. Read the words Unique clothing and gifts on the bottom of the letters. I get this on this scene everytime I test a lens

Annna T

May be of interest for those eying the 85mm 1.4 :
Roger Cicala's take on the focusing noise and the fears of new owners;

Re: What I know so far: Sony Alpha Full Frame E-mount Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

He thinks the noise is due to the piezo motor (until he has the opportunity to disassemble one fully). Other problems mentioned are "normal" or "to be expected" with that kind of lenses.

To sum up : nothing alarming.. Unless you want to use the lens in show performances requiring silence.

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

I actually have a copy that has the noise issue. Roger and I have talked all day about it yesterday and he has done his tear down and hopefully he will talk about it more. It's a issue and I have a copy that is quite loud. Hopefully Sony will release some kind of fix but there are a number of folks having some issues. You know me I'm more focused on the fix than the whining. I said it in the very first post I have a issue.

This lens is absolutely amazing and I really want this work out. It's got a look and brilliantly sharp right at 1.6 across the field . That's pretty amazing

k-hawinkler

May be of interest for those eying the 85mm 1.4 :
Roger Cicala's take on the focusing noise and the fears of new owners;

Re: What I know so far: Sony Alpha Full Frame E-mount Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

He thinks the noise is due to the piezo motor (until he has the opportunity to disassemble one fully). Other problems mentioned are "normal" or "to be expected" with that kind if lenses.

To sum up : nothing alarming.. Unless you want to use the lens in show performances requiring silence.

He posted the same or similar message here.

Sony FE 85 GM / It's here! - FM Forums. P.3 #15

I can wait until Sony acknowledges and addresses the issue.

Guy Mancuso

You can pass it around if you want.

But like to hear your impressions. Mine is set for a return already sent this to my dealer. I'm waiting for stock for the exchange. Mine honestly just sounds too loud. I understand the focus motor but I also feel it's hitting something and possibly be grinding at the gears. Shame I have a perfect copy too. Seriously the best 85 I ever shot in any brand PERIOD.

V

Vivek

I actually have a copy that has the noise issue. Roger and I have talked all day about it yesterday and he has done his tear down and hopefully he will talk about it more. It's a issue and I have a copy that is quite loud. Hopefully Sony will release some kind of fix but there are a number of folks having some issues. You know me I'm more focused on the fix than the whining. I said it in the very first post I have a issue.

This lens is absolutely amazing and I really want this work out. It's got a look and brilliantly sharp right at 1.6 across the field . That's pretty amazing
That is a shame. Hopefully, by the time I get around to buying one, this issue will be solved. I am not in a hurry. :)

But like to hear your impressions. Mine is set for a return already sent this to my dealer. I'm waiting for stock for the exchange. Mine honestly just sounds too loud. I understand the focus motor but I also feel it's hitting something and possibly be grinding at the gears. Shame I have a perfect copy too. Seriously the best 85 I ever shot in any brand PERIOD.
Odd sound, no question. It doesn't sound like 'grinding' to me, but not as smooth as I'd expect for that kind of money. If it was me, I'd certainly go for an exchange.

Lucille

my copy is also noisy, but it doesn't seem to be a grinding noise.

At this point and this might change, I am keeping this lens, it is incredible.

Guy Mancuso

Yea I'm just not sure what to think at this point . I would like to handle another one just to see if there is a difference . I'm also trying not to over think it , it could very well be normal and I just have a loud copy of it. I mean it feels kind of weird on manual. I don't shoot video so in a way it does not matter but I can feel and hear it. Kinda bugs me. Thing is I don't think I could get one worse in a exchange.