The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony 85mm 1.4 GM testing

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Yea exactly

Anyone in Phoenix that has one on hand and meet for coffee as I love to hear another copy. Mine just sounds excessively loud

k-hawinkler

This doesn't sound too good. EHP - BLOG | Sony FE85mm F1.4 GM (SEL85F14GM), quote:

"Edit: After one week I have scratched metal inside the lens. Thats really annoying. Sony should really improve there quality check! I have contacted the service point and requested a solution. I'll update the result"

And here is Roger Cicala's teardown:

LensRentals.com - Photo/video thoughts from the largest rental house

Sony FE 85mm f/1.4 GMaster Emergency Tear Down
Posted by Roger Cicala

https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2016/04/sony-fe-85mm-f1-4-gmaster-emergency-tear-down/

Guy Mancuso

Back to my bokeh test . Now this one is the background at distance and i picked a pretty busy one at that. I like to test ugly as I call it. Shows us worst case scenario.

Handled this scene very well in my mind

Guy Mancuso

Last official test. Im sure your all bored silly at this point but this is amazing by itself. Who would of thought at distance almost wide open you get this detail.

Done on to my taxes and it ain't pretty.

Lucille

All of your testing has been awesome daddy-o, very thorough, I don't really know how to test a lens such as you do and sometimes wonder how many bad copies of lenses I may have. But sometimes I might be better off being ignorant to that fact and just happily shooting away and loving the output I am seeing...

Now, make us some art with this incredible 85mm, noisy focus and all......:clap:

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

I plan too this testing is boring but I'm good at it so I took it on. Now for fun . I'll go shoot the old cars this week.

Guy Mancuso

I understand there is some noise from the AF motor but not a freight train which is what I have. Mine is very loud and my case has been elevated to Sony engineering. This is not a lubricant issue in the barrel it's deep inside where Roger could not get into the focus motor area. There is a transition gear between rotational movement to linear movement that he did not dissemble that area. Problem is now everyone thinks this is lubricant. Frankly mine is A going back B exchange C get my money back go buy it somewhere else. I'm not settling for anything but a new one regardless of any report.