Site Sponsors

Thread: Sony 85mm 1.4 GM testing

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sony 85mm 1.4 GM testing

Well after the 24-70 test I am back at Big Broncos testing the 85 this morning . It was cloudy but I did find some break in the clouds to do a quick run through and make sure the lens is a good copy and it certainly is and it clearly is a outstanding lens but it has a few caveats as well. Now either I am going to start paying rent at this place or the are going to have to pay ME to advertise their store. LOL

Here we go. Full shot. My test included 1.4 and 1.6 and their is a very good reason for this at 1.4 as you will see their is veiling flair which on every 1.4 lens I have had going back years ago its always the same case. Its extremely rare I shoot at 1.4 but more at 1.6 or 1.8 and honestly your not giving up much bokeh at ask if you even notice it. Its just a cleaner , sharper looking image at 1.6 which is the case with this GM 85 and your going to see it mostly on center. Also you will see CA until about 2.8

Really gets going in the corners at 2.8 the CA is gone and its really getting sharp. You could almost say optimum at F4 its that good

Lets move onto the crops from the building and a side building. Really watch 1.4 and 1.6 you will see the veiling flare on the 1.4. Now there is nothing wrong with 1.4 if your are doing something that you may want more artistic looking for lack of a better word. Say its a childs face you may want that to look very soft but the beauty here is at 1.6 its really sharper so you kind of get 2 lenses in one. This is very common in 1.4 lenses and you just need to know what a lens will do to avoid it or use it.

So for landscape shooters even 2.8 to the corners would be good but I think F4 or lower would be safer. Portrait folks could care less about corners

Lens vignettes to about 2.8 than clears up nice and its a nice vignette.

I do have one small issue that has been reported and I have a metal to metal noise it sounds like from 3m to infinity both in AF and MF modes. To me its sounds like a grease issue but I did read somewhere it cleaned up after about 500 shots. Mine is not going back regardless.

I know the first question here better than the Batis and its a great question because I was impressed by the Batis 85 no question. I think its the better lens overall as I think it renders better both bokeh balls and onion rings but I need to do more testing on them. It is built beatifully and for ME the weight and bulk is far less a concern than my GM 24-70 which I do feel its one the camera. LOL
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com
    Thanks 7 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Sony 85mm 1.4 GM testing

Little torture test for bokeh balls and onion rings just different distances away

Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Thanks 6 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the time and effort you put into testing new lenses. This 85mm looks like a great addition to the system. With the new baby about to arrive in the next month I'm holding off buying any fe lens for as long as I can but this one is really tempting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yea this lens is very hard to ignore. It's just outstanding even wide open across the frame

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Wanted to do a little more testing on which I did not do was some Bokeh , DOf stuff. Also the difference between 1.4 and 1.6

This is Chief Bokeh . I asked him if i could take a few snaps and he promised he would not move one bit. Yes I told him humans move all the time and worthless for this stuff. He agreed

Really what i wanted to show here was a typical 3/4 type headshot with the DOF and the Bokeh to get a idea what you maybe facing in the real world. Distance too window is about 12 feet

Now a couple 100 percent crops and lets see the 1.4 and 1.6 variants

Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just another mid range bokeh but backlit. Im very impressed with the Bokeh balls shape here very smooth and round

Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Vignetting I have not corrected so you can see that effect happening and if you look really close CA until 2.8 and it goes away. Read the words Unique clothing and gifts on the bottom of the letters. I get this on this scene everytime I test a lens

Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

This lens is just magical.....
    the HepKitty

Post Thanks / Like

There is something special about this lens.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

May be of interest for those eying the 85mm 1.4 :
    Roger Cicala's take on the focusing noise and the fears of new owners;

Re: What I know so far: Sony Alpha Full Frame E-mount Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

He thinks the noise is due to the piezo motor (until he has the opportunity to disassemble one fully). Other problems mentioned are "normal" or "to be expected" with that kind of lenses.

To sum up : nothing alarming.. Unless you want to use the lens in show performances requiring silence.
    Last edited by Annna T; 12th April 2016 at 07:03.
    AnnaT or rrr_hhh at Flickr
    My facebook page

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I actually have a copy that has the noise issue. Roger and I have talked all day about it yesterday and he has done his tear down and hopefully he will talk about it more. It's a issue and I have a copy that is quite loud. Hopefully Sony will release some kind of fix but there are a number of folks having some issues. You know me I'm more focused on the fix than the whining. I said it in the very first post I have a issue.

This lens is absolutely amazing and I really want this work out. It's got a look and brilliantly sharp right at 1.6 across the field . That's pretty amazing

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Annna T View Post
    May be of interest for those eying the 85mm 1.4 :
    Roger Cicala's take on the focusing noise and the fears of new owners;

Re: What I know so far: Sony Alpha Full Frame E-mount Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

He thinks the noise is due to the piezo motor (until he has the opportunity to disassemble one fully). Other problems mentioned are "normal" or "to be expected" with that kind if lenses.

To sum up : nothing alarming.. Unless you want to use the lens in show performances requiring silence.

He posted the same or similar message here.

Sony FE 85 GM / It's here! - FM Forums. P.3 #15

I can wait until Sony acknowledges and addresses the issue.
    With best regards, K-H.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You can pass it around if you want.

But like to hear your impressions. Mine is set for a return already sent this to my dealer. I'm waiting for stock for the exchange. Mine honestly just sounds too loud. I understand the focus motor but I also feel it's hitting something and possibly be grinding at the gears. Shame I have a perfect copy too. Seriously the best 85 I ever shot in any brand PERIOD.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    I actually have a copy that has the noise issue. Roger and I have talked all day about it yesterday and he has done his tear down and hopefully he will talk about it more. It's a issue and I have a copy that is quite loud. Hopefully Sony will release some kind of fix but there are a number of folks having some issues. You know me I'm more focused on the fix than the whining. I said it in the very first post I have a issue.

This lens is absolutely amazing and I really want this work out. It's got a look and brilliantly sharp right at 1.6 across the field . That's pretty amazing
    That is a shame. Hopefully, by the time I get around to buying one, this issue will be solved. I am not in a hurry.

Post Thanks / Like

But like to hear your impressions. Mine is set for a return already sent this to my dealer. I'm waiting for stock for the exchange. Mine honestly just sounds too loud. I understand the focus motor but I also feel it's hitting something and possibly be grinding at the gears. Shame I have a perfect copy too. Seriously the best 85 I ever shot in any brand PERIOD.
    Odd sound, no question. It doesn't sound like 'grinding' to me, but not as smooth as I'd expect for that kind of money. If it was me, I'd certainly go for an exchange.

Post Thanks / Like

my copy is also noisy, but it doesn't seem to be a grinding noise.

At this point and this might change, I am keeping this lens, it is incredible.
    the HepKitty

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yea I'm just not sure what to think at this point . I would like to handle another one just to see if there is a difference . I'm also trying not to over think it , it could very well be normal and I just have a loud copy of it. I mean it feels kind of weird on manual. I don't shoot video so in a way it does not matter but I can feel and hear it. Kinda bugs me. Thing is I don't think I could get one worse in a exchange.

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sounds like motor or transmission noise to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yea exactly

Anyone in Phoenix that has one on hand and meet for coffee as I love to hear another copy. Mine just sounds excessively loud

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

This doesn't sound too good. EHP - BLOG | Sony FE85mm F1.4 GM (SEL85F14GM), quote:

"Edit: After one week I have scratched metal inside the lens. Thats really annoying. Sony should really improve there quality check! I have contacted the service point and requested a solution. I'll update the result"

And here is Roger Cicala's teardown:

LensRentals.com - Photo/video thoughts from the largest rental house

Sony FE 85mm f/1.4 GMaster Emergency Tear Down
    Posted by Roger Cicala

https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/201...ncy-tear-down/
    With best regards, K-H.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Back to my bokeh test . Now this one is the background at distance and i picked a pretty busy one at that. I like to test ugly as I call it. Shows us worst case scenario.

Handled this scene very well in my mind

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Last official test. Im sure your all bored silly at this point but this is amazing by itself. Who would of thought at distance almost wide open you get this detail.

Done on to my taxes and it ain't pretty.

Post Thanks / Like

All of your testing has been awesome daddy-o, very thorough, I don't really know how to test a lens such as you do and sometimes wonder how many bad copies of lenses I may have. But sometimes I might be better off being ignorant to that fact and just happily shooting away and loving the output I am seeing...

Now, make us some art with this incredible 85mm, noisy focus and all......
    Last edited by Lucille; 12th April 2016 at 22:48.
    the HepKitty
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I plan too this testing is boring but I'm good at it so I took it on. Now for fun . I'll go shoot the old cars this week.

Post Thanks / Like

Guy

With respect to noise, there are comments on the Sony Alpha rumors site pertaining to noisy copies of this lens.

Paul

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I understand there is some noise from the AF motor but not a freight train which is what I have. Mine is very loud and my case has been elevated to Sony engineering. This is not a lubricant issue in the barrel it's deep inside where Roger could not get into the focus motor area. There is a transition gear between rotational movement to linear movement that he did not dissemble that area. Problem is now everyone thinks this is lubricant. Frankly mine is A going back B exchange C get my money back go buy it somewhere else. I'm not settling for anything but a new one regardless of any report.