Site Sponsors

Thread: RX 10 mark III

Post Thanks / Like

RX 10 mark III

Need some advice on a segment that I know nothing about.

My wife needs a new camera and there is a specific need for it that I will outline here:

One of our daughters is talented in judo and competes with frequent travels abroad. My wife obviously wants to document both with images and sometimes with video for our own memories, but the club has now asked for her to be the 'official club photographer'.

Sometimes the sportarenas aren't very well lit and sometimes parents/spectators cannot be close. Thus, she needs good reach but the most important is that there is a good continous autofocus and rapid trigger response! Decent high iso performance also a plus ofcourse. She will be using a monopod.

The output of the images is going to be the usual, sharing on social medias to clubmembers and at the end of the year there is a yearbook printed in normal A4 size. So, the smallish 1" sensor is not an issue (I guess).

I have been trying to look around to see what could fit the bill, but since really have no interest in this segment I feel I'm just going in circles.

My best bet right now is the titled cam - RX 10 III. What do you say? Any alternatives....
    Alpa FPS MAX TC | Alpagon 32Hr | Helvetar 75 | Schneider 120N | Leaf Aptus II 5 Leaf Credo 60 | www.danlindberg.com

Post Thanks / Like

Re: RX 10 mark III

Quote Originally Posted by danlindberg View Post
    My best bet right now is the titled cam - RX 10 III. What do you say? Any alternatives....
    If you will be happy with 400mm reach, check out Panasonic FZ1000 (same as Leica V-LUX (Typ 114)). Excellent bridge camera at less than half the price of RX10 III. It's very comparable in quality to RX 10 series. Lacks in build quality compared to RX10 series but still very good.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Some of the venues will be dark and noise is going to be a real problem. A
    small sensor will make that worse. What about an A6300 and one or two zooms?
    -Cindy
    www.cindyflood.com
    www.flickr.com/cindyflood

Post Thanks / Like

@ kitsVA, 400mm would be more than enough, in fact, the enormous reach the RX 10 has is total overkill. Half price would definitely be welcome, main concern is if it can follow a judofight from a distance with continous autofocus, especially in so-so light....

@ Cindy, yes indeed, the 6300 was my first idea with ONE lens. She is not a photographer and definitely does not want to carry more than one 'package'. I was thinking of a superzoom as in Sony E PZ 18-105/4 G OSS (if that is compatible with 6300?) and just crop if she would need more reach. I understand that the 6300 is a different animal when it comes to sensor, high iso shooting and responsiveness, but the package becomes bigger to carry and ofcourse more expensive.
    Alpa FPS MAX TC | Alpagon 32Hr | Helvetar 75 | Schneider 120N | Leaf Aptus II 5 Leaf Credo 60 | www.danlindberg.com

Post Thanks / Like

sorry...double post.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

...she needs good reach but the most important is that there is a good continous autofocus and rapid trigger response! Decent high iso performance also a plus ofcourse. She will be using a monopod...
    RX10 mkIII is not out yet to speculate about AF performance, but I wouldn't expect any continuous AF improvement in low light compared to mkII, which is quite poor: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony...amera-review/6

I'd be looking at a camera with AF rated at -3EV, as many cross type AF points as possible, f/2.8 or larger aperture zoom lens, acceptable iso12800 IQ. Canon 80D + Sigma 50-100 f/1.8 seem to offer all that and other features she requires.

Post Thanks / Like

The output of the images is going to be the usual, sharing on social medias to clubmembers and at the end of the year there is a yearbook printed in normal A4 size. So, the smallish 1" sensor is not an issue (I guess).

Given the maximum size, I'd say the previous RX10 model with up to 200 mm equivalent would suffice. Also consider the Nikon 1 Series camera system, the autofocus is rated to be among the fastest. A J5 with the 10-100 lens (27-270mm equivalent) would be fine if the f4.5-5.6 aperture is not too slow and it's available in white which might please the Missus ... ;-)

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for great tips!
    The Canon setup I'm sure is very good for the application, but budget is a factor and on top we would need a second zoom for wide-normal, so, this will be too dear.

The Nikon was an interesting alternative since it is really small, 10-100 lens would work as the only lens and is really cheap!! Sure, small sensor, but same size as the RX10 and according to a test I just read, the autofocus is lightning fast! I will check this one out more in detail.

Thanks

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I would go with the RX10 III and leave all the previous century tech machines.

The EXMOR RS sensor is the most advanced sensor in a consumer camera.