The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mitakon Speedmaster 85mm f/1.2

Don Libby

No photos to include yet as I just came back from a trip and the lens was delivered shortly after we returned.

Initial observations:

If you have the Mitakon 50mm f/0.95 and think it a heavy lens wait until you feel the 85. I happen to enjoy shooting full or nearly full manual lens and the 85 doesn't disappoint. Low light it looks like a winner with sharp, clean images on a A7r II I picked up shortly before the trip.

And to plug the 50 f/0.95 I shot dark skies in Valley of the Gods using the lens and wide open I got great files at 20 to 30 seconds at ISO 400!

I add more to this thread in a little while sharing the test shots from the 85; so far I'm very pleased with the lens.

Don

Don Libby

There's more good to write about this lens than bad however I want to point 2-things out. It is a heavy lens but well balanced on the A7r II. My biggest pet peeve is the lens shade which is similar to the 50mm. Plastic and feels like it doesn't want to fit on the lens.

This is the only one shot on tripod. The image is cropped from the bottom to cut off a shadow. Wide open f/1.2 1/15 ISO 50

Shot handheld, f/1.2 1/200 ISO 50

This was shot inside, again wide open at f/1.2. Handheld 1/400 ISO set to Auto and 3200

Went back outside and used our neighbors as a general test. Handheld, f/2 1/500 ISO 50

More info coming

Don

Don Libby

All of the samples were processed in C1-9. Since C1 doesn't have a lens profile for a Mitakon I was forced to hunt for one that came "close enough" and thankfully having experience with the 50 f/0.95 I knew that if I went into Sony I'd find what I was looking for. I ended up using the "Sony FE 85 f/1.4 GM" profile and will continue to do so until I find something better.

Okay, last 4-sample for today...

Handheld, f/1.2 1/500 ISO 50

Handheld f/1.2 1/5000 ISO 50

I've got to add a note to this one. I focused on the 2-flowers on the left thus the right one is out of focus. Had I to do this over I'd set it up differently.

More flowers, f/1.2 1/5000 ISO 50

One last one. f/1.2 1/5000 ISO 50

My initial gut reaction to the lens is very positive. I've had the 50 Speed Master for over a year with no thoughts of selling it and I can see the 85mm in the same category.

So how does the Mitakon Speed Master 85mm f/1.2 stack up to the Sony GM 85mm 1/4? I can't say as I don't have that lens. The Sony lists for $1798 and offers full auto shooting while the Mitakon lists for $799 (I got mine much cheaper) and is manual f/stop and focus which I prefer.

Don

SamSS

I've been using this lens for the past 5 months on and off due to a bit tough to focus quickly at wide or near wide manually. But, I love it. Otherwise, FE 90mm is the first choice unless bokeh craving urges.
Here are a few examples at various up-close and further images.
Great price for 11 blades/f1.2

The top was cropped off a little bit.

Don Libby

More testing this morning. All samples were shot on tripod, f/1.2 1/100 ISO 50.

The End ...

Major processing done in C1-9 however I wasn't truly happy until I used the any-shake filter in PSCC.

Cheers,

Don

Wide open, my 50mm generates some flare around the highlights. I don't see that here - or maybe it just Isn't apparent when posting on web?

Kirk

Don Libby

These two are from the Mitakon 50 f/.095 both shot wide open, f/100 ISO 50.

This is 3-files stacked as I had a devil of a time focusing on the head which is less than 1/2 an inch...

Single image file

Don