The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

RRS Base Plate for RX1R II issue

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I was wondering if anyone else here has the RRS BRX1R II plate for their RX1R II and has any issues with the plate opening being just a smidge too small to allow the bottom door to open? I didn't realise mine was binding until I was on the road in China and luckily I had a hex key with me and could loosen the hex bolt to give me the 1/10mm (maybe less) needed for the door to open.

Has anyone else run into this? I'm hoping it's a slight manufacturing tolerance thing as they hadn't heard of the problem and I am resolving it with them (they are an excellent company to work with btw).

V

Vivek

I am using Monza' s grip (its base acts like a QR plate; can be found here: Camera Grips — Metro Case ) that is designed properly and poses no issues.

Hope, your Really (not) right stuff will get sorted out. RX1 and RX1R II dimensions are slightly different.

Last edited:

MILESF

Graham,

Mine is fine. My slight quible is that that the plate makes getting at the latch for the viewfinder a bit of a squeeze.

Like Vivek, I'm using Robert/Monza's Metro Case, because it's so light and fits well. I need a good hand grip for the R2 but don't use it on a tripod, so this is better for me than the heavier RRS.

Tim Isaacs is making a ThumbsUp that should be available soon. The little TU on the Metro Case is an improvement, but I'd prefer a bigger one. I'm currently using the $25 Chinese version. It's better than nothing but doesn't fit my hand very well.

Kirk

GrahamWelland

Thank you folks - it would seem to be a manufacturing tolerance thing as there is nothing obvious about the fit that would suggest why there should be a problem other than of course the edge of the hole in the base is EXACTLY the same size as the door opening edge in my case. It only takes a fraction of a mm to stop it opening and that's where I'm at. Heck it might be the door tolerance being off but I can't see that happening with the RX1 and anyway the base should be more forgiving even if it were so. This is easily fixed with a dremel on the opening if necessary but that offends me on so many OCD levels.

Miles - absolutely agree about the small gap between the L bracket and the VF release latch. It was a factor in me deciding to just put on the rubber eye cup and leave it permanently up. Ditto for pulling out the LCD for tilt as I have to use a fingernail to pop open the top of the LCD to then swing it out. Not much room there between the L bracket and body to play with at all. That said, I rely on the L bracket extensively so I live with the inconvenience somewhat.

Hope, your Really (not) right stuff will get sorted out. RX1 and RX1R II dimensions are slightly different.
I had the RX1 plate but as you mention it didn't fit. I purchased the RX1R II plate after my RX1RII finally turned up and only recently got around to fitting it for a trip and found the issue (and work around although having to loosen the base is tedious in the field).

I am absolutely confident that RRS will solve the issue for me.

GrahamWelland

Update: Fixed.

It turns out that I wasn't being aggressive enough with opening the latch and with a little extra compression all is well. That's one precision fit at the end of the body with the plate but thankfully I've now worked out what I was doing wrong. (And for the record, those that know me know that I seldom do anything delicately!)

Now that I know that it was me and the tight fit I might still Dremel the inside lip of the base to give me an extra tad of space to swing open the door.