Site Sponsors

Thread: RRS Base Plate for RX1R II issue

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

RRS Base Plate for RX1R II issue

I was wondering if anyone else here has the RRS BRX1R II plate for their RX1R II and has any issues with the plate opening being just a smidge too small to allow the bottom door to open? I didn't realise mine was binding until I was on the road in China and luckily I had a hex key with me and could loosen the hex bolt to give me the 1/10mm (maybe less) needed for the door to open.

Has anyone else run into this? I'm hoping it's a slight manufacturing tolerance thing as they hadn't heard of the problem and I am resolving it with them (they are an excellent company to work with btw).
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: RRS Base Plate for RX1R II issue

I am using Monza' s grip (its base acts like a QR plate; can be found here: Camera Grips — Metro Case ) that is designed properly and poses no issues.

Hope, your Really (not) right stuff will get sorted out. RX1 and RX1R II dimensions are slightly different.
    Last edited by Vivek; 18th April 2016 at 15:47.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Graham,

Mine is fine. My slight quible is that that the plate makes getting at the latch for the viewfinder a bit of a squeeze.
    Miles Flint
    http://www.milesflint.com

Post Thanks / Like

I have the RRS base plate (not the L bracket). No issues with bottom door.

Post Thanks / Like

Like Vivek, I'm using Robert/Monza's Metro Case, because it's so light and fits well. I need a good hand grip for the R2 but don't use it on a tripod, so this is better for me than the heavier RRS.

Tim Isaacs is making a ThumbsUp that should be available soon. The little TU on the Metro Case is an improvement, but I'd prefer a bigger one. I'm currently using the $25 Chinese version. It's better than nothing but doesn't fit my hand very well.

Kirk

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thank you folks - it would seem to be a manufacturing tolerance thing as there is nothing obvious about the fit that would suggest why there should be a problem other than of course the edge of the hole in the base is EXACTLY the same size as the door opening edge in my case. It only takes a fraction of a mm to stop it opening and that's where I'm at. Heck it might be the door tolerance being off but I can't see that happening with the RX1 and anyway the base should be more forgiving even if it were so. This is easily fixed with a dremel on the opening if necessary but that offends me on so many OCD levels.

Miles - absolutely agree about the small gap between the L bracket and the VF release latch. It was a factor in me deciding to just put on the rubber eye cup and leave it permanently up. Ditto for pulling out the LCD for tilt as I have to use a fingernail to pop open the top of the LCD to then swing it out. Not much room there between the L bracket and body to play with at all. That said, I rely on the L bracket extensively so I live with the inconvenience somewhat.

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Hope, your Really (not) right stuff will get sorted out. RX1 and RX1R II dimensions are slightly different.
    I had the RX1 plate but as you mention it didn't fit. I purchased the RX1R II plate after my RX1RII finally turned up and only recently got around to fitting it for a trip and found the issue (and work around although having to loosen the base is tedious in the field).

I am absolutely confident that RRS will solve the issue for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Update: Fixed.

It turns out that I wasn't being aggressive enough with opening the latch and with a little extra compression all is well. That's one precision fit at the end of the body with the plate but thankfully I've now worked out what I was doing wrong. (And for the record, those that know me know that I seldom do anything delicately!)

Now that I know that it was me and the tight fit I might still Dremel the inside lip of the base to give me an extra tad of space to swing open the door.