The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

HCam Master TS with Contax Zeiss and Nikon 16-35 f/4 on the a7r

mhespenheide

Hi, all. A week or two ago I received in the mail a package from Germany with one of the delightful HCam Master TS adapters. As you're likely aware of if you're reading this thread, this adapter allows tilt/shift movements with a Canon EOS EF mount on the front and a Sony E mount on the back. They're available here: Hartblei Home from forum member Stefan Steib.

I don't currently own any of the really high-zoot wide-angle lenses for Canon, or the Nikon 14-24 zoom. At this point, I don't really plan on using the Canon lenses because I don't like the idea of needing a second body in the field in order to change the aperture. And, frankly, despite having just dropped almost USD$1000 on an adapter, I'm still something of a cheapskate. My plan is to use adapted Contax and Nikon lenses. Eventually, after testing, I'll change to Leitax lens mounts for the Contax lenses.

I do already own the Nikon 16-35 f/4 zoom, the Contax 35-70 f/3.4 zoom, the Contax 25 f/2.8, and the Contax 50 f/1.7 lenses. I'm planning on checking out all of them in the coming weeks. I might well add the Contax 100-300 zoom later, or some combination of the 100 f/3.5 and/or 135 f/2.8 lenses. I don't have the Nikon adapter at all yet; I currently have a single cheap fotodiox Contax >to> Canon adapter that I'll use for initial testing. A cheap Nikon adapter should arrive tomorrow (27 April).

Are there any that people are more interested in seeing the results from?

I've only done basic testing of lenses myself. Is there an accepted methodology to testing tilt/shift lenses that I should try to follow?

Annna T

Hi, all. A week or two ago I received in the mail a package from Germany with one of the delightful HCam Master TS adapters. As you're likely aware of if you're reading this thread, this adapter allows tilt/shift movements with a Canon EOS EF mount on the front and a Sony E mount on the back. They're available here: Hartblei Home from forum member Stefan Steib.

I don't currently own any of the really high-zoot wide-angle lenses for Canon, or the Nikon 14-24 zoom. At this point, I don't really plan on using the Canon lenses because I don't like the idea of needing a second body in the field in order to change the aperture. And, frankly, despite having just dropped almost USD$1000 on an adapter, I'm still something of a cheapskate. My plan is to use adapted Contax and Nikon lenses. Eventually, after testing, I'll change to Leitax lens mounts for the Contax lenses.

(..)
Just a remark : you don't need a second Canon body to change aperture on Canon lenses, you can also use a smart adapter on your A7? FE body. The new Sigma MC 11 adapter is about 25% cheaper than the Metabones one, but yes still more than a dumb adapter.

I'm happy to read about any experience using the A7? as a technical camera, but don't own any of the lens you mentioned, so have no preference. Thank you in advance for sharing your impressions.

mhespenheide

Just a remark : you don't need a second Canon body to change aperture on Canon lenses, you can also use a smart adapter on your A7? FE body. The new Sigma MC 11 adapter is about 25% cheaper than the Metabones one, but yes still more than a dumb adapter.
Well. That makes me feel rather short-sighted.

Annna, you're right. I already have a commlite "smart" adapter that should be able to control the aperture, at least, even if the autofocus is poor. I'll try that...

Annna T

Well. That makes me feel rather short-sighted.

Annna, you're right. I already have a commlite "smart" adapter that should be able to control the aperture, at least, even if the autofocus is poor. I'll try that...
Good.. Then I'll be happy to hear about any experiences using Canon EF lenses.

NoBob

I'd like to hear how well the Contax lenses perform.

Using the Mirex adapter, I use Pentax-A 645 (35mm and 55mm), Sigma 50mm Art and Canon TS lenses (24mm mk2 and 17mm) on an a7rii.

cdavis32

I'd like to hear how well the Contax lenses perform.

Using the Mirex adapter, I use Pentax-A 645 (35mm and 55mm), Sigma 50mm Art and Canon TS lenses (24mm mk2 and 17mm) on an a7rii.
How much movement do you get with the Sigma Art lens?

engardeknave

Not Available
I want that adapter so I can shift in both directions for stitching with the Canon TSEs. But I'm not sure that capability is going to pay for the adapter in terms of what it will enable me to do for clients. Too expensive.

Sorry, a little off topic.

NoBob

With the Sigma 35mm and 50mm on the Mirex, you get about 5-6mm of rise. That's not the limit of the image circle, but more than that and the corners are too soft (unless there's sky).

With the Pentax-As you get a lot more movement. With the 35mm, 15mm of rise. When photographing buildings, there's no noticeable distortion. If you photograph an interior, there's barrel distortion. So the Sigmas can be used indoors if you want a small amount of rise.

The Mirex works well with the Canon TS 24mm (I haven't tried it on the 17mm shift yet). You can shift horizontally with the Mirex, then up or down with the Canon, so you're not restricted to shifting diagonally with the Canon on its own.

Last edited:

engardeknave

Not Available
The Mirex works well with the Canon TS 24mm (I haven't tried it on the 17mm shift yet). You can shift horizontally with the Mirex, then up or down with the Canon, so you're not restricted to shifting diagonally with the Canon on its own.
Where is this mythical Mirex adapter available? I've heard of it before, but have never been able to find them.

cdavis32

With the Sigma 35mm and 50mm on the Mirex, you get about 5-6mm of rise. That's not the limit of the image circle, but more than that and the corners are too soft (unless there's sky).

With the Pentax-As you get a lot more movement. With the 35mm, 15mm of rise. When photographing buildings, there's no noticeable distortion. If you photograph an interior, there's barrel distortion. So the Sigmas can be used indoors if you want a small amount of rise.

Thanks! That's too bad to hear that the art lenses have such little movement... I had high hopes for them! I've been wanting to try them on the Actus.